IGNORED

Atari Inc. - Business Is Fun Now Available!

Albert

After lurking in a few threads (started by searching for info about the Motorola 6809) and reading posts by the authors I've ordered this book from BN. I grew up as an Atari kid (pong-2600-5200-7800, 800XL) and a CoCo nut (4K Coco1 and later a CoCo3). That sure was a magical time.

Just finished this huge book icon_smile.gif

Well Done!

Excellent narrative! Fun, interesting, informative pictures!

Had to read some sections over again because I was too busy laughing at some of the antidotes! The Al Alcorn & Steve Jobs one was easily worth the price of the book!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That one was not the Jobs Bio book last year, wonder why? icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

The Authors did not have to apologize for getting to technical in places. Most that might read this book would welcome that detail, and perhaps a bit more. I know, I would. I wanted to have seem a bit more about how the 1200xl problems happened, and the aftermath of them. But that is a small item in a very large book, which I proudly display on my living-room coffee table.

As for the next book, Atari Corp. I can't wait to read it. Please include some of the first book's last chapter at the beginning of the next for continuity.

Again a WELL DONE!!

I feel a little guilty that I delayed in ordering my copy while so many who jumped on the list very early have yet to receive their copies. I'm about 1/4 of the way through it on the first night though. I really like the narrative writing style. It just flows. It's so very well done. It's not as negative towards Nolan Bushnell as I thought it would be. It avoids painting the characters as "heroes" or "villains". It's so much more complicated than that. It's real human beings making decisions with limited information, and with all of the failings and frailties that we all have. It looks like Bushnell made a lot of real dick moves in those early years - but at the same time, he was surrounded on all sides by other businessmen making dick moves. And I haven't even gotten to the part where Warner takes over... Again, a big "Thank you" to Marty and Curt for this monumental contribution to the story of America.

I have a call into our Kindle conversion contractor to see how they are making out with the conversion, we really would like to get that posted up so that so many who have been waiting for an eBook version can download it. We'll make an announcement as soon as its ready.

Any update on the Kindle edition?

Well, thanks to some time to kill while at the emergency room waiting for my loved ones to be seen, I've finished the book. Rather than stick to a strictly chronological coverage of Atari history, Curt and Marty instead approach several different Atari technologies that were being developed in parallel during the era between when Warner Communications entered the picture and when Jack Tramiel bought the consumer division. They tell the stories about the ideas and the people behind them in a wonderful level of detail. The explanations of the departures of the Atari pioneers such as Bushnell and Acorn are much more detailed and interesting than the typical historical treatments that oversimplify with statements like, "The Warner executives did not get along well with Bushnell so he was fired". It's so much more complicated than that and I feel like I have a much better understanding of what really was happening now.

I'm not an Atari collector, but in my opinion, no collection of Atari games, consoles and/or computers would be complete without this book.

Just finished this huge book icon_smile.gif

Well Done!

Excellent narrative! Fun, interesting, informative pictures!

Had to read some sections over again because I was too busy laughing at some of the antidotes! The Al Alcorn & Steve Jobs one was easily worth the price of the book!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That one was not the Jobs Bio book last year, wonder why? icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

The Authors did not have to apologize for getting to technical in places. Most that might read this book would welcome that detail, and perhaps a bit more. I know, I would. I wanted to have seem a bit more about how the 1200xl problems happened, and the aftermath of them. But that is a small item in a very large book, which I proudly display on my living-room coffee table.

As for the next book, Atari Corp. I can't wait to read it. Please include some of the first book's last chapter at the beginning of the next for continuity.

Again a WELL DONE!!

If you though that was funny, you should read the ANECDOTES... :D

I've been rereading the book lately (kool_kitty89 let me borrow his copy a few months back) and despite some grammatical errors (I see "it's" used instead of "its" a lot) it's quite a fun read! I'm really looking forward to the second book as I've always been more interested in the history of Atari Corp. as opposed to Atari Inc.

I've been rereading the book lately (kool_kitty89 let me borrow his copy a few months back) and despite some grammatical errors (I see "it's" used instead of "its" a lot) it's quite a fun read!

Those have already been corrected.

And an updated: The Kindle and iPad versions should be available in another week.

• Like 1