IGNORED

Atari 1050 with Happy board not working correctly

Louis

Hi all,

Back in the day when I traded my first Atari in for a 130XE with 320Kb and 6 different ROM's (:D) I also got a Atari 1050.

It was a Atari 1050 with Happy, tracking sensor, write-protect switch and density identifying led's.

Unfortunately the 1050 is not working so great anymore.

I don't use it as often anymore, but I really would like to so it working properly.

Where would I start with restoring the Happy 1050? I did some diagnostics a few months ago.

I remember the RAM test being failed, so maybe that's the only problem.

Are there perhaps some more diagnostics available?

I doubt it is an original board, but I made some pictures.

There are some IC markings scratched off, but I'm sure someone can tell me what is what :-)

Also, I'm looking for someone that can alter a front bezel of the 1050.

Because the tracking sensor's casing broke when I moved to another house several years ago.

So now the display is hanging outside the case :P

Louis

post-29177-0-89699500-1353956427_thumb.jpg

post-29177-0-35060600-1353956435_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Today I upgrade one of two mine 1050 drives, with a happy board from AtariMax. Also I take some shots and because I wouldn't open a thread only for that, I post here. At an earlier time I had made full refurbish also. (Belt, capacitors, leds, dismantling, new power supply etc...) .

IMG 8047 1600

IMG 8050 1600

IMG 8058 1600

IMG 8061 1600

IMG 8065 1600

Of course, depends on what is most important (the LED's, etc), but AtariMax sells these Happy boards very reasonably. Your board looks as if most of the IC's are not socketed, and you have to wonder if the board will take desoldering. Then again, Guus might have some ideas to try without "pulling the teeth." Personally, I'd tell the board "thanks for the memories," and replace it -- a whole lot less work.

-Larry

Of course, depends on what is most important (the LED's, etc), but AtariMax sells these Happy boards very reasonably. Your board looks as if most of the IC's are not socketed, and you have to wonder if the board will take desoldering. Then again, Guus might have some ideas to try without "pulling the teeth." Personally, I'd tell the board "thanks for the memories," and replace it -- a whole lot less work.

-Larry

The Track sensor was the coolest. :-)

You are right, so I put the 1050 on the shelf. I've ordered a new Happy at AtariMax and that 1050 working very nicely. :-)

@Santos, so that's basically what I did! :-)