IGNORED

wip

kenfused

I do plan on supporting some variants, at least as far as level progression goes and maybe other pieces. I do want to have one and two button controller support potentially allowing for clockwise rotation as well, hard and soft drops in addition to the current arcade way of handling rotation and drops. Supporting the arcade intermissions is gonna be a pain. Currently I am using almost 100% of marias time for 23 rows on the screen so no chance for sprites. The center font is also full if I don't use sprites. I may drop the boards to black and white during intermissions or split the font, or maybe we don't need intermissions.

• Like 2

call me late to the party...but I like this so far..music would be good but intermissions are not a requirement...at least not to me.. I really never did like the intermissions anyway...so I am in agreement with the previous post to mine.

The fact that you even took the time to make this game for the community is outstanding and really appreciated...I would have never thought that tetris would ever see the 7800 but you are making that possible..Thank You!!.

Edited by NIKON

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The arcades pokey music would be a good fit. I'm up for having different music selection as long as there is space. I'm not a musician myself though.

I'm all for the original arcade music myself.

This plays great...

I agree, adding the second button to rotate the other direction would be awesome...

Intermissions don't matter to much to me...

The Pac/MsPac intermissions were something you played for.. Not so much (at least for me) with Tetris.. ;-)

Great work!!

desiv

I like the idea of intermissions and whatever compromises need to be made to incorporate them. Although, it wouldn't keep me from getting it once released if you decided something else.

It looks very impressive so far -- the best looking Tetris-type game I've ever seen, personally. Pokey music would be great as well if it can fit.

Gee look like it's been two months already. Keep meaning to pick this back up. I want to work on getting the the movement and rotating correctly, then get the level progression working. My main goal on the display was that each piece have 3 unique colors which I think makes it kind of unique in the 8bit world for the game. I do hope to have some configurability in the controls. The arcade used dual pokeys so pokey sound would be nice.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A minor update for this evening. Reworked button press logic and left/right logic. Haven't tested yet on a real console but now seems to work as originally intended in emulation. Holding button will rotate piece at a fixed rate but you can press and release to rotate at a desired rate. Same thing for moving left and right.

blocdrop20130306.zip

• Like 2

Added a couple sound effects.

Definately coming together. A few thoughts...

The 'piece' randomizer isn't as random as you have. Tetris has a 'deck' of seven pieces that's shuffled each time it runs out - so you're guaranteed to get the 'complete run' in random over every seven pieces. This is why Tetris experts can start to predict how the pieces are coming and play off it.

Title menu should probably be more '7800' like. Very minor nit there, but it's a part of how Atari/Nintendo/Sega did things back in the day.

Sounds work fine, though I wonder if you should have a 'cascading upward' effect for multi-line clearing? (Higher pitch on line #2, then #3, and something special for all 4?)

I very much look forward to seeing this coming together. Hopefully you'll add it as a fine addition to AtariAge's lineup.

Definately coming together. A few thoughts...

The 'piece' randomizer isn't as random as you have. Tetris has a 'deck' of seven pieces that's shuffled each time it runs out - so you're guaranteed to get the 'complete run' in random over every seven pieces. This is why Tetris experts can start to predict how the pieces are coming and play off it.

Title menu should probably be more '7800' like. Very minor nit there, but it's a part of how Atari/Nintendo/Sega did things back in the day.

Sounds work fine, though I wonder if you should have a 'cascading upward' effect for multi-line clearing? (Higher pitch on line #2, then #3, and something special for all 4?)

I very much look forward to seeing this coming together. Hopefully you'll add it as a fine addition to AtariAge's lineup.

Does Chetiry work like this? It seems I go a very long time without an "I" block some games and get others sometimes 3 or 4 in a row. I never knew that about Tetris block patterns. Very interesting.

I love the hold a block feature from Tetris DS.

Actually from what I have read on some pages and FAQs the randomizer depends on the version of the game. I don't remember if the arcade version this is based on just does random or if it was one of the other randomizer versions. (I know if can go quite a while before giving you a piece you want sometimes or give you many of the same pieces in a row) I may offer some options in randomizers in settings. I also hope to offer color and piece settings (squares vs. outline).

At some point I hope to give it a proper title page with configurable options that it would start up in and go back too after both players are done playing.

I may work on the highlighting to highlight each line in sequence and not all at once as I am doing now. Just doing it how I am now because it was easiest to implement. Things are a little complicated since the other player can be playing while lines are being cleared on one so almost everything requires using a state machine of sorts. The sound I want to be fairly close to the arcade but I am trying to do the effects with TIA leaving POKEY for music. The arcade had two POKEYS and used combined channels some so I don't know how feasible to port the music. I do have dumps of the POKEY register writes by timestamp I created with a slight hacked version of MAME for each of the tunes if someone wants to try and port them into something I can use. The arcade clock rate is pretty close to the 7800 normal clock rate.

Thanks for your feedback.

Edited by kenfused
  • Like 1

Actually from what I have read on some pages and FAQs the randomizer depends on the version of the game. I don't remember if the arcade version this is based on just does random or if it was one of the other randomizer versions. (I know if can go quite a while before giving you a piece you want sometimes or give you many of the same pieces in a row) I may offer some options in randomizers in settings. I also hope to offer color and piece settings (squares vs. outline).

Regular, classic "Tetris" (as in the one everyone sued one another over) has the 'deck' setting by default. Post Tengen-versions I'm really not sure. I know a lot of the clones are straight-up random, naturally. But I always felt this was one little aspect that made the classic what it was. It was a nice hidden strategy, if you knew what to look for.

Sound is... gonna be a tough one. I feel like there should be more noise, but I think the major effects are there. I'll have to run to the Tengen version again to see if there was anything else... I doubt you want to add a custom sound mixer to TIA for this. :)