Hello,

I've been away for about 5 or 6 years, not doing much for the ATARI. I gave up my business dealing with VCS and ATARI 8 Bit games on ebay and I'm now a "Fachinformatiker" and working in the IT.

I didn't do much for the ATARI 8 Bit in the past years, but I think it's time to start a new project.

I have ideas for several 1K minigames and for almost 2 decades I've been working on a 3D dungeon crawler like "Dungeon Master" or "Eye of the Beholder" on the ATARI 800 XL. My first versions were written in Turbo BASIC, but there are too many speed and memory issues, so I have written the 3D routine in Assembler.

The attached picture shows a version with character graphics and some DLIs.

What I'd need would be a graphics artist to draw some dungeon graphics sets and some monsters and items. I'm thinking about either using the ATARI's 256 color mode or multicolor character graphics with player overlay. The 256 color mode looks nice, but the resolution is not good, so it would be difficult to have small objects like keys lying on the ground

Multicolor graphics with player overlays would have a 4 times higher resolution, but less colors, but I think only then details like messages on the walls could be recognized.

I want the game to work on a standard 64kb machine, but enhanced memory should be supported.

I've tried to upload the engine demo, but I always get an "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file" - error. The file is a .rar archive.

Thimo

mazey.png

• Like 1

Hello Thimo,

great that you are back ! I know you from the KE-Soft / ZONG years (the 90s)...

Time to finally finish your "Castle of Blackthorne" ?!? Ok, the game was written in TB XL with lots of converted 256 colour pictures from Dungeon Master and other games, but it was quite playable (especially since I changed some things in your listing to make the monsters die much faster, harharhar).

Alas, I cannot help you, since I am no painting/drawing/gfx man on the A8 (nor a musician, nor a programmer), but if you want to look again at some of your old A8 games and/or gamecode, let me know and I will upload some of your requested programs here (if I have them in my collection).

Here at AA new methods of gfx generating were discovered some time ago, e.g. with Rasta Converter or with XLpaintMAX or some other tricks, so we can have up to 16 colours in Gr. 15 resolution. These gfx are not very usable for action games, but for gfx adventure type games (and maybe also for some parts of RPG`s) they should be good. Just take a look at the topics "Rasta converter", "Quantizator" or "Gr. 15 PAL blending" here in the AA forum, e.g. here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/197450-mode-15-pal-blending/

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/200118-images-generated-by-rastaconverter/page__hl__%20rasta%20%20converter

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/156160-quantizator/page__hl__%20rasta%20%20converter

Greetings, Andreas Koch.

castle_blackthorne.zip