IGNORED

Wyvern Tales

Ninjabba

Greetings fellow Atarians and Lynx addicts!

Today I give you a preview of the big project I've been working on for a long while now. The main reason to open a new thread for this is because I had to change the name of the project to something new because I overlooked a game with a similar name. Another reason is that it has been shown on e-JagFest this year and I would like to share what has been shown there on the forums as well.

With that, I give you a sneak preview of the foundations of Wyvern Tales! There will be dragons coming to your Lynx in 2013!

Attached is a small poster that I've been playing around with in 2 formats. I'm gonna try and have a website up and running soon if time allows it. At the moment the website has little priority though, so please ignore the URL in the poster for now.

Thanks for 108Stars for helping me out with the project wherever possible. Been a great help so far, and I'll have to claim more of that valuable time in the near future. He also was kind enough to record the gameplay on his Lynx HD:

Hope you enjoy the progress!

post-22942-0-28999300-1354049636_thumb.png

• Like 17

Nice progress, and nicer to see other large projects :)

A suggestion though-

You might want to use a variable width font for your dialogue boxes. It looks like you are using the BLL print routines for everything, and that monospace text is enormous. You'll get much better readability, and an easier time writing since you can fit more text in a single box with a smaller font size.

Because of the framebuffer setup in the Lynx and Suzy's support for drawing unpacked textures, the hardware does most of the work for you ;) . You can then add things like refrains, different noises, etc to your dialogue printer

Nobody surprised of the kind of soundtrack the Lynx delivers? ;P

Yes, the power of a new Lynx audio upgrade in development, the iPod.

• Like 1

The game looks very nice.

Nice progress, and nicer to see other large projects :)

A suggestion though-

You might want to use a variable width font for your dialogue boxes. It looks like you are using the BLL print routines for everything, and that monospace text is enormous. You'll get much better readability, and an easier time writing since you can fit more text in a single box with a smaller font size.

Because of the framebuffer setup in the Lynx and Suzy's support for drawing unpacked textures, the hardware does most of the work for you ;) . You can then add things like refrains, different noises, etc to your dialogue printer

Yes, the power of a new Lynx audio upgrade in development, the iPod.

My suggestion is to develop a proportional font for the game. The newest tgi-driver can even handle vector fonts today but the best might be to create a replacement driver with a good typeface. I would pick something like Ubuntu bold at 9 points and copy the characters from that one to a new driver.

I even grabbed my earphones to listen to the soundtrack. It took me about 5 seconds to realize that this sound was not from the Lynx.

Heh. yeah sound is still a bit of an issue. I hope beethoven would be proud :P

Thanks for the positive response; I was hoping to actually share a playable demo on the forums this year, but I've had the unfortunate event of a burglary last week. They stole 4 laptops as well as other stuff, but there were some yet-to-be-delivered projects that were not properly backed up online.. backups were distributed over those laptops, but now they are stolen. I'll have to spend a lot of time on that now to keep up promises. Note to self: always commit work to repositories before leaving the house!

About the text, I'm still working with severe limitations because of some bugs that arise from cc65 that I cannot explain; only after I can share a good playable demo on the forums I feel like its worth to investigate these bugs and perhaps move on with another font. For now its too much work to change this, and to be honest its not bad being able to read text without getting eye strain :) If only the current tgi driver would be able to scale down the font a bit, it'd be perfect. But its already the smallest size I'm using.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any news on Wyvern Tales?

After picking up lost pieces from the burglary, I'm back on development on this project. The video only shows portion of what is done already.

Still won't make any promises on a date of actual release since there's always work in the way, but stay tuned :)