IGNORED

Wyvern Tales

Ninjabba

On 7/27/2016 at 8:41 PM, cowdog360 said:

What would be cool is if you can just buy the ROM image for those of us who have the Saint Multicart.

It could even have extended save game functionality on the memory card.... :D

Edited by SainT
  • Like 2

What would be cool is if you can just buy the ROM image for those of us who have the Saint Multicart.

Unfortunately once one person gets the ROM it'll be freely available for everyone to grab a copy. All the hard work Nijabba and his team have put in will be pointless. Support the dev and he may just make another game for the Lynx ?

• Like 1

Unfortunately once one person gets the ROM it'll be freely available for everyone to grab a copy. All the hard work Nijabba and his team have put in will be pointless. Support the dev and he may just make another game for the Lynx

Man, I knew I should have included some kind of per-unit copy protection into the LynxSD... (that's a lie, but it would have been nifty)

• Like 3

Man, I knew I should have included some kind of per-unit copy protection into the LynxSD... (that's a lie, but it would have been nifty)

I guess if you added a way to read the serial number from the PIC that would be sufficient. That way some code code read the serial number, and a ROM could be compiled that only works for that serial number. Might be an idea for a future upgraded card or something (mk2).

• Like 2

Isn't part of Lynx code encrypted to run? Code in the purchaser's name, a sneaky checksum that stops the game after xx minutes if the game was hacked to remove the name, and if it's released unaltered to public we'd know who to shame.

Hacking Lynx ROM isn't as easy as most other consoles because they'd need to be decrypted to find the undesirable names to remove, modify or remove the checksum, and re-encrypt it properly.

Or just don't release the ROM. I'd still buy the physical cart.

• Like 1

Unfortunately once one person gets the ROM it'll be freely available for everyone to grab a copy. All the hard work Nijabba and his team have put in will be pointless. Support the dev and he may just make another game for the Lynx

As if a cart can't be read and copied......

Zaku has been copied but it's not shared for one good reason. Few people can make a dumper that works and generally those are the nice people who won't share, only keep for backup purpose. If I ever sell Zaku I will delete the ROM I dumped a couple months back.

• Like 1

Hehe well I'm definitely counting on the integrity of the Lynx community. I definitely hope to accomodate all people that want a copy.

How many hours of gameplay will this approximately have? Looking good btw :)

Depends on your playstyle. I took my inspiration from classics like FF1 and Dragon Quest 1, so I think around 8 ~ 10 hours. But I took some liberties and added some extra content here and there to keep you occupied.

It could even have extended save game functionality on the SD card.... :D

How would that work? Do you emulate an eeprom on the SD card?

• Like 1

Hehe well I'm definitely counting on the integrity of the Lynx community. I definitely hope to accomodate all people that want a copy.

Depends on your playstyle. I took my inspiration from classics like FF1 and Dragon Quest 1, so I think around 8 ~ 10 hours. But I took some liberties and added some extra content here and there to keep you occupied.

How would that work? Do you emulate an eeprom on the SD card?

There's an API to read and write to the SD card, so in theory any game could use it. It opens up FMV as well I guess =D

Edited by GadgetUK

Playing time has never been accurate even back in the day. I remember one game, Ultima 6 I believe promising about 200 hours of play time. I finished the game in less than 60 hours. Ultima 5 was also supposed to take a while and there's a YT video that shows it can be finished from start without hacking in less than an hour.

• 3 weeks later...

This looks like an awesome project and I wanna wish Ninjabba nothing but success in getting this fully done and into the hands of Atari Lynx fans. I just recently acquired this console and in looking up games to acquire, this is definitely one I'm keeping my eyes on. When you start taking pre-orders, kindly put me down for a physical copy. ;)

Edited by Tartfox

I think none of the commercial homebrew releases have leaked so far? That's really nice. I guess most people here have been wanting real carts for a real lynx.

Sorry for going slightly of topic, but doesn't the SD card api mean that you could create huge lynx games? There was some discussion earlier in a graphics thread that space for the graphics on the lynx is seriously limited. I've noticed this myself when doing some small demos. I know limitations are usually a good thing and forces you to be more creative, but maybe just for some more scenery and stuff. I've noticed many official lynx games have only like four levels except if the changes in the graphics are minimal, like e.g. slime world. I know some wouldn't have it count as real lynx games but it would still be tempting haha.

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Like 1

I think none of the commercial homebrew releases have leaked so far? That's really nice. I guess most people here have been wanting real carts for a real lynx.

yes I think the Lynx "community" is actually much like that, probably because of the relatively small number of fans, I think everyone wants to support new software initiatives, we all realize how rare they are !

However, there is one aspect to consider.....until the SD card there was no serious/easy way to play ROM files on the Lynx......this also was a "barrier" for people so they usually had to get the official releases.

Also...not everyone has the means/skills to read cartridges to ROM files....in fact only few do....but if you paid the money for it, why would you give away the ROM files to others....?

On the other hand I see the SD card is a great option to sell games without having to go through the pain of making physical cartridges, boxes and manuals. Look at some projects on the A8 from Atariage, many of those games have the ROM file released in the open, but still physical copies are made for those who want them and sales are very very often a huge success.

But it's up to the creators which way they want to go.....but there's no harm in discussing it :)

Edited by Level42

Yeah personally I want the tactile stuff, like the box (with nice box art), the cart, and the manual for my favorite "hobbies", like on the Lynx. Also I've started buying some of my favorite records on vinyl (like a real hipster) just to get that old school warm fuzzy feeling with the big beautiful record sleeves and when every record really meant something.

But yeah, it would be handy to have the rom too for the flash cart obviously. For example I've seen a bunch of C64 games being sold on itch.io and I bought a really cool c64 game called Knight 'n' Grail both on disk and as a rom (the rom just so I could get to download it immediately). It would still be cool if the rom wouldn't spread all over the net.

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Like 1

For me there is a lot of charm in completed games like Zaku or Alpine Games. You know with an intro, a manual, great cart design and playable content. I also like to have a save feature on RPG games like EOTB. Playing without means to save your party requires to keep the Lynx on forever.

Sorry for going slightly of topic, but doesn't the SD card api mean that you could create huge lynx games? There was some discussion earlier in a graphics thread that space for the graphics on the lynx is seriously limited. I've noticed this myself when doing some small demos. I know limitations are usually a good thing and forces you to be more creative, but maybe just for some more scenery and stuff. I've noticed many official lynx games have only like four levels except if the changes in the graphics are minimal, like e.g. slime world. I know some wouldn't have it count as real lynx games but it would still be tempting haha.

I think it opens up some possibilities for games to have very large maps or more levels, but not much else unfortunately. On the Lynx everything has to fit inside the 64k, and you can't use the trick of bank-switching the cartridge into a large memory space (8k/16k) like on other consoles or computers. Loading stuff from the Lynx cartridge is also not very fast-it's not random access. It acts much like a tape drive (the original design I believe), and you actually have to "seek" to the location in the block that you want to load into memory, by reading the values from cartridge and discarding them. It's one of the (beloved/hated?) limitations of the Lynx.

Edited by Shawn Jefferson
  • Like 1

I could see an SD card api used in conjunction with a BASIC compiler. Someone who wanted to make a Lynx game could compile their game and drag-and-drop it to an SD card - insert it into the Lynx cart with SD support. Maybe having the TF card slot hidden behind a label.

Now you have a new generation of game makers creating new games and self publishing. This requires many things as stated (BASIC compiler with SD api, inexpensive Lynx cart with TF card support). I can dream!