IGNORED

Wyvern Tales

Ninjabba

I've finally finished the game last night too. That last boss does have a lot of HP! I've been putting off writing the review for it until finishing so now I can finally get to it! icon_biggrin.gif

Great!

It is nice to see that people are actually playing through the game. Wyvern Tales is kind of addictive.

• Like 1

Oh wow, this is... beautiful. I stumbled on this while looking whether it's possible to mod the Lynx so the games on it can be streamed, but I'm definitely interested in buying one of these. Expect a PM Ninjabba, I hope there will still be some stock :D

I loved the Lynx as a kid and was really into RPG's so it'd be fun to relive my childhood a bit (possibly with VGA mod so I can introduce more people with the Lynx and the game library).

Just got mine yesterday. Shipping to the USA took exactly three weeks for me. Both my boxes were crushed pretty badly and the shrinkwrap had a big hole right in the front of one copy.

The game is great so far though. RPGs are one of my least favorite genres, but I've been looking forward to this one for ages and it's awesome to be playing it on my Lynx. I definitely want to play Wyvern Tales through to the end. I can't imagine what kind of work it took to get this so polished. Surely an RPG must be one of the most difficult genres to design, balance, and program.

Great!

It is nice to see that people are actually playing through the game. Wyvern Tales is kind of addictive.

Got the review finished and published, have a read here - https://atarigamer.com/lynx/game-review/WyvernTales/5743444345487360

Great game, some parts not completely polished but it's the kind of game the Lynx badly needed!

• Like 3

First day that I've been able to get time to open it and test it out - It's brilliant so far, really great! Well done =D =D I've not ventured far as its seems a bit JRPG-ish in that you need to level up by grinding away near town first. Super fun though despite all I've been doing is grinding and buying spells etc! Well done Ninjabba =D

Beat the first Wyvern today! Have to admit, I am enjoying it =D A bit hard to work out where I am going after that - apparently need to speak to the Elder in some place beggining with an A - buggered if I can find the town and elder. Found a tavern and another dungeon I think.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Greetings fellow Atarians and Lynx addicts!

Today I give you a preview of the big project I've been working on for a long while now. The main reason to open a new thread for this is because I had to change the name of the project to something new because I overlooked a game with a similar name. Another reason is that it has been shown on e-JagFest this year and I would like to share what has been shown there on the forums as well.

With that, I give you a sneak preview of the foundations of Wyvern Tales! There will be dragons coming to your Lynx in 2013!

Attached is a small poster that I've been playing around with in 2 formats. I'm gonna try and have a website up and running soon if time allows it. At the moment the website has little priority though, so please ignore the URL in the poster for now.

Thanks for 108Stars for helping me out with the project wherever possible. Been a great help so far, and I'll have to claim more of that valuable time in the near future. He also was kind enough to record the gameplay on his Lynx HD:

Hope you enjoy the progress!

Could you port this to an 8-bit console or S/NES or release a 10% - 20% demo rom for those of us who like playing on TV without high mod prices?

Edit: I see I can probably just get the Lynx with just the VGA mod for now.

Could you port this to an 8-bit console or S/NES or release a 10% - 20% demo rom for those of us who like playing on TV without high mod prices?

Edit: I see I can probably just get the Lynx with just the VGA mod for now.

There's a bigger chance of me making a sequel to this game than porting it to any other system. I'm still tossing around the idea of making a pure dungeon crawler with random generated dungeons.. something I started with but dropped in favor of handcrafted dungeons.

• Like 1

I tried those random dungeons on RaspberryPi. The planned dungeons contain much more pleasure. It is almost impossible to get the same enjoyment from random dungeons.

HQ.jpg

Another thing is that in a good dungeon enemies don't spawn in areas you have cleaned out. It is also essential that there is paths with less danger that are sneaky if you find them.

Edited by karri
  • Like 1

There's a bigger chance of me making a sequel to this game than porting it to any other system. I'm still tossing around the idea of making a pure dungeon crawler with random generated dungeons.. something I started with but dropped in favor of handcrafted dungeons.

A sequel would be great. I just need to get the VGA mod or some of those magnifying spectacles in my fifties.

I tried those random dungeons on RaspberryPi. The planned dungeons contain much more pleasure. It is almost impossible to get the same enjoyment from random dungeons.

Another thing is that in a good dungeon enemies don't spawn in areas you have cleaned out. It is also essential that there is paths with less danger that are sneaky if you find them.

Initially I wanted to make a more basic version of NetHack with classic JRPG graphics, but it became too complex quite rapidly.

The current engine doesn't allow for enemies walking over the map so its indeed less suitable for a proper roguelike since there will always be random encounters.

• Like 1

NEs can do something like 50 colors at once but it's limited in sprites. C64 is fixed to 8 sprites and 16 colors but it's not impossible either. TG-16 might be the best one to port, over 500 colors and 16 sprites. I don't know what Apple IIGS is capable of, I only used older II and IIe with green monitor.

I happen to have a IIgs actually. The system has no graphics acceleration outside a fill mode, the Mega II limits video memory access to 1mhz, and the 65816 CPU only runs at 2.8mhz stock. It does have 16 hardware palettes of 16 colors each, one can be selected per scanline out of the 4096 available colors in 320x200 mode. You can display up to 3200 colors per screen by modifying the palette between scanlines but that eats up the CPU cycles. Scrolling is unlikely to be smooth fullscreen due to the 1mhz memory access limitation, but several RPGs were made for the system including a top-down JRPG, Ys 1. The audio chip is the real star of the system, the Ensoniq 5503 DOC, which is capable of playing 16 independent samples. One of its 32 oscillators is used as a timer in the IIgs, since they're generally used in pairs you can only play 15 samples simultaneously in the IIgs. That's not much of a limitation, but the 64k audio RAM is.

A port to another architecture is a lot of work though; I'd personally like to see a sequel on the Lynx instead. Once I've had a chance to play it of course. :)

• Like 1