IGNORED

Wyvern Tales

Ninjabba

If a sequel is made I can help with porting the config files, segments and graphics to a version that has the new 52 byte generic bootloader. That bootloader works on 512k carts also.

I am also trying to patch the latest cc65 maintained by Oliver and push my changes to cc65 to his version. My own code compiles and runs on Olivers version also.

Perhaps Mori could be more like a DPS and also have some crowd control skill? Make an enemy sleep by a tranquilizer dart?

If a sequel is made I can help with porting the config files, segments and graphics to a version that has the new 52 byte generic bootloader. That bootloader works on 512k carts also.

I am also trying to patch the latest cc65 maintained by Oliver and push my changes to cc65 to his version. My own code compiles and runs on Olivers version also.

Perhaps Mori could be more like a DPS and also have some crowd control skill? Make an enemy sleep by a tranquilizer dart?

Wow I've been sleeping on the lynx programming forum. Had a look around and saw your new template, compiled it with cc65 2.16 and it all works like a charm! Great work!

Porting the current game to 512kb might get a bit intense.. there are some strange design choices I made when I started partly because of my inexperience and partly because it was totally unclear to me how the memory layout should look like.

I want to have some boilerplate code done (eg. continues playing music between loading of segments, possibility of sfx, eeprom) on a clean template and use that a a starting point.

Tried to PM you on here but your inbox is full ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing Wyvern Tales for a little while now.

It loads rather slow (first load and everything inbetween, actually).

The otherwise nice sound is hard on the nerves when it restarts after every conversation and alike.

Dark red for the active text is also a bit too dark for me.

I had one crash/freeze during my first fight with the Wyvern. Deri froze before casting fire in a 2 frame hand up/down animation. It was late in the fight but I had a savegame right before that - so no harm done. Didnt occur again since then.

It is a bit bad that the order is not saved, too.

Now that were all the 'bad' thing to say ;-)

Obviously I keep playing it! It is great fun and I am quite positively surprised how well balanced it appears to be (to me) so far.

I just encountered the big Goblin(?) and passed the mountains just to be attacked by another one and I teleported back (Im a sissy).

Lvl7-8 with the party currently. Well done, Ninjabba!

Last J/RPG game I enjoyed that much was GoldenSun (GBA).

So proper game-design can really make up for some minors technically!

I will have to start drawing at least rough maps now I guess :)

I will keep you posted - but it probably will take lots of time. Best use for EEPROM for sure :)

Whole game feels rather fair. The only thing that (to my personal taste) is a bit extreme, would be the randomness in the combats.

Feels like random(0-max) rather than for example new_average +/- smaller_random.

Thank you for the game!

Martin

I should really get back on the real game. I have only finished it while playtesting.

Some spells I found to be effective was to use poison on the last enemies. In this way the poison weakens them during the fight. Also taking out the targets causing poisoning or sleep immediately helps to survive.

I had one crash/freeze during my first fight with the Wyvern. Deri froze before casting fire in a 2 frame hand up/down animation. It was late in the fight but I had a savegame right before that - so no harm done. Didnt occur again since then.

It is a bit bad that the order is not saved, too.

So proper game-design can really make up for some minors technically!

I will have to start drawing at least rough maps now I guess :)

Whole game feels rather fair. The only thing that (to my personal taste) is a bit extreme, would be the randomness in the combats.

Feels like random(0-max) rather than for example new_average +/- smaller_random.

Thanks for the kind words :) I can reveal that the reason the order isn't saved is because every single word on the eeprom is used for more important mechanics. A sequel should have a bigger eeprom.

Can't say I or any of the testers have experienced the freezing of the game like that. It happened before I read in this thread, but somehow I can't find a reason for this to happen.

The random battles might come across as a lot, but I've used early NES/GB JRPGs as examples and its a common encounter rate. Initially I was thinking to have potions that increase or decrease the encounter rate for some time, but I didn't dare to put any more crazy ideas in the codebase.

Some games (such as the mentioned GoldenSun) have items like rings to decrease random encounters but then again, it adds a fully new component into the system.

I like it as it is. Annoying when you just want to go from A to B but hey, its a hostile world and it was (in my opinion) a good choice to have fleeing work all the time.

So you are usually save fleeing alot and healing every now and then :)

Ah, EEPROM space is so tight? Ok then. Ordering would be just 3 bits, though ;-)

So you mostly store stats and flags. So position is just town-ID not X,Y pairs. Ok.

Another thing I noticed that could be correlated to that is that if you kill a hunt and save before you return to the bar, you get no gold for it, instead it asks you to kill the hunt first.

The hunt increased properly though. Happend to me most of the time (as I mentioned I play in short chunks but often). Ok, can be dealt with :)

Another thing I noticed that could be correlated to that is that if you kill a hunt and save before you return to the bar, you get no gold for it, instead it asks you to kill the hunt first.

The hunt increased properly though. Happend to me most of the time (as I mentioned I play in short chunks but often). Ok, can be dealt with :)

You're killing it ;) to be fair it was added last moment and tested by me alone. But yeah, that is also part of not being able to save any extra information on the eeprom. You can always teleport to town and claim the reward before saving.

I just killed the first hunt that came in a new shape (to not spoil here, caught me by surprise) and it still was a lousy 60 Gold coins. So I dont think I missed much ;-)

Where does teleport go to? Always Bar once you have been there etc or always last town you visited?

I made it! ;-)

What an entertaining game. Thanks alot for this.

I hindsight it felt a bit short but that only tells how much I enjoyed it. I certainly played a couple of hours so it is by no means short for an 8bit game.

Well done ;-)

It would be cool to wander around even after the official end (doesnt make TOO much sense, storywise) but I have a SAVE right before the final conversation which I will use to get around some more I think.

This game even got me drawing maps again. Never unfair. I was about Level 18-19 ish with the party and the end posed no serious threat. Stopped at hunt 6 though, I may pick up on those now.

Again, thank you for this great experience!

Cheers,

Martin

PS: screenshot de-spoilered.

post-28604-0-25082700-1536491713_thumb.png

• Like 2

I hindsight it felt a bit short but that only tells how much I enjoyed it. I certainly played a couple of hours so it is by no means short for an 8bit game.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm curious though.. do you have an idea of how many hours you spend? I had an amount of time in mind when building it, curious how fast you managed since it looks like you know what you're doing ;) I finished the game myself around level 24.

Hm, very hard to tell. Never more than an hour per day for a couple of days. I can describe my approach which maybe explains it a bit.

I didn't spent much money on armor. Mostly spells. Fire for Mori and Deri. Didn't fight poisonous things prior to the antidote spell. When traveling I most of the time chose 'flee' and just cured poison. I did fight all single enemy fights. In particular Knights and later giant spiders. Only those for some grinding but never very much. Later red and blue giants helped alot. Fought first Dragon at level 8 or so. Final boss at 18/19. Kept everyone protected with deri, healing with Mori and deri. A few Mana++ during battle for both. All three had awake and antidote. Throughout the game no-one KOed. I'm a sissy :-) I made maps of dungeons, fleeing alot , got chests and returned stronger with ready map a bit later. In particular for the tower.

Hm, very hard to tell. Never more than an hour per day for a couple of days. I can describe my approach which maybe explains it a bit.

I didn't spent much money on armor. Mostly spells. Fire for Mori and Deri. Didn't fight poisonous things prior to the antidote spell. When traveling I most of the time chose 'flee' and just cured poison. I did fight all single enemy fights. In particular Knights and later giant spiders. Only those for some grinding but never very much. Later red and blue giants helped alot. Fought first Dragon at level 8 or so. Final boss at 18/19. Kept everyone protected with deri, healing with Mori and deri. A few Mana++ during battle for both. All three had awake and antidote. Throughout the game no-one KOed. I'm a sissy :-) I made maps of dungeons, fleeing alot , got chests and returned stronger with ready map a bit later. In particular for the tower.

Wow, that's crazy. It took me quite a bit more time to beat it, maybe 20 hours or so. Although I've only played a handful of RPGs, and I took my time and explored and experimented and enjoyed my time. I only used the flee command once, and that was to test it out. I bought a ton of spells and equipment, although once I started finding equipment that was more powerful than the pricey stuff in the bar, I gave up saving money for any of that stuff because it wasn't worth it. At least not until later in the game, when I repeatedly maxed out my money and needed something to spend it on.

I don't remember what levels my characters were at when I beat it, as it's been a few months, but I feel like I was much higher than 18/19 by the end.

I never had > 4000 gold at a time. Now that I started hunting and kill all the 'easy prey' on its way (sometimes in one blow :) it rose to ~7000.

I can see how fleeing sped up the game alot (this really depends on how you like your games, I think if you prefer fewer random encounters this fleeing is ok).

I liked it like this alot. Above Level 8 or so I hardly did any grinding in terms of return to village just to heal etc. I mostly gained experience on my way back from dungeons/towers/castles.

• 2 weeks later...