IGNORED

"Wii U Disappoints"

JamesD

As little more than just a casual gamer, so far, only thing to really disappoint has to do with the Sonic Racing game. If you want to play a multiplayer game and are using the GamePad as one of controllers, that person is forced to play the game on the little screen of the GamePad. To me, that's beyond lame. Unless I'm mistaken and haven't found a way to enable a split screen option for 2 players, but *that* option wasn't obvious or apparent the other day. Seems the only way to do true 2-player split screen is if both players had the conventional Wii controller. There goes another $40! :ponder: :lol:

As little more than just a casual gamer, so far, only thing to really disappoint has to do with the Sonic Racing game. If you want to play a multiplayer game and are using the GamePad as one of controllers, that person is forced to play the game on the little screen of the GamePad. To me, that's beyond lame. Unless I'm mistaken and haven't found a way to enable a split screen option for 2 players, but *that* option wasn't obvious or apparent the other day. Seems the only way to do true 2-player split screen is if both players had the conventional Wii controller. There goes another $40! :ponder: :lol:

Wait until you find a game that needs multiple GamePad controllers... then you'll have a real reason to complain about the price.

• Like 1

Wait until you find a game that needs multiple GamePad controllers... then you'll have a real reason to complain about the price.

Maybe, but I'll be staying away from anything that's heavily multi-player centric. Can't see more than 2 or 3 people playing at once at my place.

Oh and regarding the software update thing, people are blowing this out of proportion. Out of the box and to a kid that just wants to jump in and play some Wii-U games on Christmas, it isn't necessary. Second, it does download in the background, so those that want some of the streaming channels to work or want to surf the web on their console, at least that's an option for them. Nintendo eStore and Wii transferring aside - yes, need to perform the update for all that. :)

I've been in IT for 20 years and the set up and updates sucked. Time consuming and cumbersome.

Make sure you have an SD card handy to move your data from Wii to WiiU. And if you are like me and haven't played the Wii in months or even years (other than Skyward Sword) you will have to update your Wii to the lastest version as well. You need to update the wii to get to the Wii Store to download the Wii to WiiU channel. Then after the massive download and update on your WiiU, you need to put your wiiU in Wii mode, go to the Wii store again on that system and download the Wii to WiiU channel again. Then make sure BOTH are getting internet access because for some stupid reason you can't do the transfer without internet connections on both systems. Then have fun shuffling your wii remotes... Unsync from WiiU, sync to Wii, unsync from Wii, sync back to WiiU....

With a decent internet connection, and losing no real time with any major mistakes (other than scratching my head in bewilderment) the process of setup and transfer took about 3 hours.

I like the system. I love the controller. However, I already see it being the Wii again. My 9 and 6 year old will love it and play the hell out of it. As for me, like the Wii, I will play Mario, Zelda and a few of the exclusives (maybe ZombieU?), but the majority of my time will be spent on the 360 and of course the 2600. It is still early though, so who knows.

• Like 3

One of the things that doesn't get me buying a Wii U is that it doesn't have a truly groundbreaking Mario platform game. The Wii didn't have one at launch, but shortly after it did get Super Mario Galaxy, which was only followed up on a few years later with SMG2, but that's probably the last seemingly innovative Mario platform game that we'll ever see for the time being. I think Nintendo may have reached a plateau with the 3D platform game and that it's going to take a complete miracle for the development team to make something that will top the Super Mario Galaxy game series. So until then, it looks like reinventing the whole 2D Mario platform game is the way to go. I hate to see Mario get stuck in a 2D gaming prison where it seems most people want him to stay in (the same could also be said for Link and the Legend Of Zelda series) when there are potential new possibilities for Mario to explore in a 3D gaming world that we only have a mere taste of so far.

And for the hardcore gaming crybabies (of which some on this forum can be rightly accused of being) who B&W that Nintendo is catering mostly to the casual gaming crowd...THE VIDEO GAME INDUSTRY DOESN'T EXCLUSIVELY REVOLVE AROUND YOU OR YOUR DESIRES! LEARN TO LIVE WITH IT AND MOVE ON! YOU HAD YOUR FUN WITH THE ATARI 2600 AND THE NES AND ALL THAT...LET OTHERS INTO THE HOBBY AND STOP HOGGING THE ROAD!

Edited by Vic George 2K3
  • Like 1

I really don't see why the update is such a big deal. Most computers have install discs in order to be able to run at all. A one-time installation should not be a deal-breaker.

I also see a lot of presumtions being made about how shitty this new console will be. Again, it's barely a week old. If it were a malfunctioning shitheap with no new games or concepts, then I would be inclined to agree. But this is not the case. We have a new system here with a solid launch line-up (Nintendo's biggest ever?) and a novel, hybred control. It's backwards compatable with the Wii's paripherals. Plus it's HD, how cool is that? And all you have to do to enjoy it is wait through one shitty update. Not a deal-breaker.

If you want enjoy classic Nintendo goodness, then my prediction is that the Wii U will deliver. Looking to best PS4 and next-gen Microsoft in the graphics department? You will be sorely disappointed. But people who buy it likely already know what they are getting- the minimum standard of today's tech with a fun new interface.

Remember people, no matter how cool, powerful or futuristic a video game console is, you will eventually find it for $5 at a year sale.

None of their systems have ever been cutting edge

Really ? I bought a SNES the day in launched in August of 1991, and let me tell you that puppy was about as cutting edge as it gets. Playing F-Zero and Pilotwings, my mind was blown at that time. Also, the Nintendo 64 was the epitome of cutting edge tech (for the price), in late 1996. Super Mario 64 was a technological powerhouse. Turok was extremely cutting edge when it first came out (despite the fog).

Nintendo didn't abandon the pursuit of a technologically advanced console until the GameCube.

Really ? I bought a SNES the day in launched in August of 1991, and let me tell you that puppy was about as cutting edge as it gets. Playing F-Zero and Pilotwings, my mind was blown at that time. Also, the Nintendo 64 was the epitome of cutting edge tech (for the price), in late 1996. Super Mario 64 was a technological powerhouse. Turok was extremely cutting edge when it first came out (despite the fog).

Nintendo didn't abandon the pursuit of a technologically advanced console until the GameCube.

I'm inclined to agree, also the NES for it's day wasn't bad either in the power department, I'm no tech head but it blew anything away I had played before it (atari, coleco, etc..) Gamecube was when it tailed off...gamecube was by far the lamest effort from Nintendo..at least for innovation

• Like 1

Just finished Zombi U. Took roughly 12 hours and 14 survivors. If you're a fan of survival horror games this is a definite pickup. If you're looking for COD with zombies then buy COD and play its zombie extras. This is not that game. It's slow paced and ammo and other supplies are scarce. There is some trial and error to this game and it is a game where you're going to die, probably a lot. Each zombie is life threatening and when there's more than one you'll be thinking up other ways to kill them (flares, mines, grenades). It's a game that has a real risk/reward to fight or flight. Do you try to kill this single zombie with the bat or use some ammo? Or do I just try to run past it? What if I need to fall back to this area later?

The graphics aren't jaw dropping but they are haunting. Difficulty wise the game doesnt really get progressively harder. It's really kind of a sustained difficulty where it just keeps coming at you. Ubisoft made good implementation of the gamepad using it for scanning, hacking, and also being your BOB (bug out bag) and it really feels like an intricate part of the game not just some add on.

Overall Unisoft created a fine survival horror game (not FPS), and I was not disappointed with Zombi U.

Edited by GKC
  • Like 2

Really ? I bought a SNES the day in launched in August of 1991, and let me tell you that puppy was about as cutting edge as it gets. Playing F-Zero and Pilotwings, my mind was blown at that time.

To those in the US, the SNES was more than likely impressive when it first came out. For those over in Europe that were more regularly using home computers like the Amiga and the Atari ST, the SNES wasn't much of a step above what was already available at the time.

To those in the US, the SNES was more than likely impressive when it first came out. For those over in Europe that were more regularly using home computers like the Amiga and the Atari ST, the SNES wasn't much of a step above what was already available at the time.

I was PC gaming when the SNES came out and nothing compared to the PC. When speaking about consoles though the SNES was really impressive even more so over the Genesis. IMO

For me the hammer fell when Nintendo chose not to go with the CD format when Sega\NEC\Panasonic and Sony did.

I dont give a shit what anyone says like if its overblown excuse. It wasn't overblown it was a huge mistake.

That bonehead move REALLY hurt them. It set them back from what devs really wanted to do. FF7 is a prime example.

Then the Dreamcast came out and Nintendo was all but getting stamped out.....the Gamecube didnt have a prayer in my opinion. Microsoft entering the consoles with the Xbox nailed that coffin. You had fans spread out over the DC, the upcoming PS2 and Xbox.

Then the Wii came out and they HAD to be different..........they had to cause technically these days, they cant keep up or maybe choose not to.

The N64 might not have used CD's, but the technology in the thing was pretty freaking advanced. Doesn't everybody remember Project Reality, and the "Dream Team" ? Silicon Graphics and all that ? That was about as technologically advanced as you can get, and yes, they didn't use CD's, but they did get the price point at a very good spot ($199.99 I think). I remember in late 1996 I had just started getting into PC gaming with a 3Dfx Voodoo card, and when the SNES came out, it had similar graphical qualities to the 3Dfx. Maybe not quite as strong as a dedicated 3Dfx card, but it seemed pretty close at the time.

Then the Dreamcast came out and Nintendo was all but getting stamped out.....the Gamecube didnt have a prayer in my opinion.

Umm - Dreamcast (which I love) was never a threat to the GameCube. It was discontinued basically when GameCube came to market. You have some revisionist history happening here.

Microsoft entering the consoles with the Xbox nailed that coffin. You had fans spread out over the DC, the upcoming PS2 and Xbox.

Dreamcast (which I wanted to go on) was being liquidated as Nintendo was coming to market with GameCube. the PS2 was huge, with the XBox being an extremely distant second and the GameCube a very close third. Revisionist history has the XBox as 'far ahead in sales', but it really wasn't. The PS2 smoked both of them (and Dreamcast) badly, outselling all three consoles combined and multiplied. Microsoft literally bled billions on that launch.

PS2 moved something like 140 million units worldwide to XBox's 24 million, GameCube's 22 million and Dreamcast's 11 million.

That generation was Sony's game. And I say this as someone who owned Xbox, GameCube and Dreamcast.

Edited by DracIsBack

Really ? I bought a SNES the day in launched in August of 1991, and let me tell you that puppy was about as cutting edge as it gets.

Wow - I saw it in 1991 and thought it was a laughable joke. I looked at it and thought, "wow - two years ... two whole years they had to look at what Sega and NEC did with their systems ... and this is the best they could come up with? Seriously?"

To me, it was 'better', but given the time that had passed, very lame on that front. It had a larger colour palette (but fewer onscreen than Turbographx). The sound was good. Mode 7 was cool but scaling was already on the Lynx. Then there was the issue of speed ... slowdown, flickering etc.

What defined the SNES was the killer games Nintendo made in response to Sega kicking them square off their perchl and drawing them into a knife fight.

How do you figure that? GameCube was competitive technically to what it was up against. Xbox had better hardware, but GameCube was ahead of PS2 and Dreamcast generally. Certainly a much closer comparison to the Wii vs. PS3/Xbox 360.

Umm - Dreamcast (which I love) was never a threat to the GameCube. It was discontinued basically when GameCube came to market. You have some revisionist history happening here.

Umm, I did not specifically say the Dreamcast was a threat to Gamecube but by THAT time in the late 90's when the DC came out Nintendo was basically out of the console equation. Again thats my opinion. Who the hell was playing an N64 in 1999?

Anyway, what I'm seeing is denial of some of the crap that Nintendo pulled in the 90's. I'm not saying you but I see it happen a lot. Like they are the golden childs of video games who can do no wrong.

Do I sound like a rabbid troll yet? :grin:

Umm, I did not specifically say the Dreamcast was a threat to Gamecube

Was how I read it. Sorry.

but by THAT time in the late 90's when the DC came out Nintendo was basically out of the console equation. Again thats my opinion. Who the hell was playing an N64 in 1999?

Here's a good article from back in the day

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/review/games/2001-01-23-dreamcast.htm

Personally I never bought games/consoles simply due to graphics. It's about the entire experience. As crappy as it looks now, my friend got an NES in 1987, and that was the first I saw of it, and I was literally blown away by Baseball (yes) and of course Super Mario Bros. I've never been as blown away since then. The fun level of Goldeneye/MarioKart on N64 with multiplayer is up there, as are the early racing simulations from Papyrus, early LucasArts Star Wars titles, and early Janes EA flight sim series.

Wow Not to get off topic, but that article brought back bitter memories. I recall back in the day reading that, or a similar article.

I was at work, and I was sooo pissed. I had a PS2 the day it came out, but after playing though the one game I decided to snag for it (Time Splitters) and not seeing anything else I wanted to spend full retail price on, I went back to playing the Dreamcast. When those articles hit it made me want to CRY!!! *sniff*

Glad to hear the positive review in regards to Zombie U. Sounds a lot like Condemned : Criminal Origins on the 360 a game which I feel is one of the strongest launch titles of all time! Let me ask this, does the pad add anything to the game? What is it used for exactly that makes it stand out? I'm guessing map and inventory how else does it expand the experience..if at all?

Let me ask this, does the pad add anything to the game? What is it used for exactly that makes it stand out? I'm guessing map and inventory how else does it expand the experience..if at all?

Maps and inventory like you said - which is super slick, but there's this scanner mode that has you looking all around, looking for CCTV networks to enable. You literally move the GamePad all around, left to right, tilting up and down as you search for things. Motion of the pad is reflected on the main screen too. In this mode, the graphics are sharp, detailed and brightly lit on the little screen. Adds a different dimension to the game for sure. Imagine an AvP type game where the predator switches between viewing modes.

I currently have a Wii U hidden away up in the closet which will be going to the stepson at Xmas. I'm dying to play it though, the wait is killing me.

I'm really curious if the Wii U had some sort of trophy/achievement system. Anyone have any info and/or thoughts on that? Also interested to see something specific about the systems specs (though I'm the first to argue specs don't matter, only gameplay). Just very curious.

Reading about the troubles moving everything from Wii to Wii U sounds like such a PITA that I think I'll just leave it alone. I plan to keep my Wii anyways and since it won't upconvert to 1080p, there's not much point for me.

Also, here's an interesting Wired article - 10 Things I Hate About Wii U.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/11/10-things/