IGNORED

Star Crusade (Demo)

jrok

Thought I should mention... I had a lockup last night while playing it on my Harmony cart / 2600 Jr. It was a couple of rounds into the 2-fighter iterations. I think it was 3rd pair of enemies. Sorry, I don't have more info than that. I'll play some more and see if it happens again.

Oh, I was looking at Game Gavel yesterday and saw some guy listing 2600 "fantasy" games, meaning he's just pasting weird labels on existing carts. One of the fantasy games was 2600 Battleshpere (Atari Jaguar), and I immediately thought of this game. ;)

Edited by KevinMos3

Oh, I also failed to mention this is STUPIDLY COOL! I never got into these kinds of games except Star Trek by Sega. The graphics all say assembly magic to me. It's nice to know with clever enough people bB can produce this.

Thanks! Nothing too magical going on here, though. The graphics are really thanks to batari's hard work on bb1.1. There's just so much that can be accomplished in the visuals department now with DPC+ support.

This game is lovely! Are the lasers playfield pixels?

Thanks! And yes, they are.

Thought I should mention... I had a lockup last night while playing it on my Harmony cart / 2600 Jr. It was a couple of rounds into the 2-fighter iterations. I think it was 3rd pair of enemies. Sorry, I don't have more info than that. I'll play some more and see if it happens again.

Thanks for the report. Unfortunately I can't test this very much on real hardware, since my Atari is somewhat on the fritz.

Oh, I was looking at Game Gavel yesterday and saw some guy listing 2600 "fantasy" games, meaning he's just pasting weird labels on existing carts. One of the fantasy games was 2600 Battleshpere (Atari Jaguar), and I immediately thought of this game. ;)

Cool! Battlesphere looks like a very fun game.

Edited by jrok

I've posted a new version of this in the OP:

http://www.atariage....o/#entry2647208

List of changes:

• Revised enemy flight movement. I think they use the scaling effect better now, flying more often in 'tween states instead of just very far away or extremely close .
  • Revised player ship's color scheme, layout and controls. The biggest control change is that players now fire their lasers on button releases instead of button presses, to allow for Photon Bomb activation. When a player holds down the fire button for about a second, he will hear a little "charge-up" sound begin to play. When the sound effect reaches it's highest frequency, releasing the button will activate a smart bomb that instantly destroys any enemies visible on the forward viewscreen. Play begins with a maximum of 3 bombs, displayed by orange icons along the top of the dashboard, but will be able to be replenished by space stations and certain planets when I get those things implemented.
  • Added Star Map. By toggling the BW switch, players can view a map of the quadrant that shows enemies, space stations and planets in nearby quadrants. At the moment, this doesn't do much else than pause the game, but eventually this will function a lot like the maps in similar space shooters, albeit with a few new twists.
  • New title screen. It's not hi-res, but it conserves valuable space and still gets the job, I think.

Edited by jrok

New version is posted here and in the OP:

http://www.atariage....o/#entry2647208

I re-wrote the instructions to reflect all changes and additions, but here's a rough overview of what's changed.

- Revised Star Map controls. GAME RESET now toggles the Star Map before and after battles.

- The Star Map is also automatically toggled off whenever a space battle begins.

- Added random map layout at game start

- Added command logic for player map navigation and warp drive use.

- Added logic for multiple enemy unit placement and destruction.

- Revised enemy ship battle movements.

- Revised demo win conditions (Player must defeat all three enemy units to end the demo)

Basically, the player can now cruise around the map screen and hunt down enemy armies. Wiping out all three armies ends the demo, which is more similar to what the victory conditions will be in the final game. Next step will be to write logic that allows the enemy armies to chart their own courses around the map, and to conquer any planets they come across. I'll also need to add a starbase and some repair/refuel functions to the planets, giving the player stuff to protect.

Cheers,

J

STARCRUS_DEMO_12_10_12.bas.bin

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Same question as Charge: any more work going to happen on this one? Or will it remain in demo limbo?

I've had to edit this post several times. It's kind of irksome for me to hear unnecessary statements about projects possibly being in "demo limbo". No one likes their projects to be stalled. If he doesn't have time for a status update then it's less likely notable progress has been made. You could have just PM'ed jrok directly and asked about his project rather than a round of necroposting.

Good point, a PM would be more efficient... but maybe some other fans of his work will shout out some love this way?

I can only speak for myself, but I find people who PM be with personal interest in my games are more encouraging than a bump. I'd rather not explain to the whole world that I'm stuck behind work, family and several other projects :P

Plus, it gives me a little one on one time with people who really are enthused about my game.

• 6 years later...

We'll be featuring Star Crusade LIVE on tomorrow's (Sunday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew