IGNORED

Retronic Design usb to classic 9-pin joystick adapter

cncfreak

Thanks everyone for the help/ideas!

I removed the device and it now seems to work as a joystick, but I can't update the firmware.  I hold down the button on the Atari joystick when plugging in the USB and I see get failures trying to write the firmware.  The HidBootFlash program finds a device, but it looks like it has a garbage name, and it fails to write one of the .hex 3.1 firmware files.

I've attached screenshots

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

On 2/16/2020 at 2:56 PM, Nitz1976 said:

yes, absolutely

That was the last piece of the puzzle, was able to flash if I held down the button the entire time it was inserted and flashed.  I thought it only had to be pressed when inserting to put it in programming mode.

thanks everyone!

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know why Atari 2600 Flashback controllers don't work with this? I thought they were basically almost the same as the originals.  Also, does the new Trooper 2600 joystick work with this? It's weird that my original works fine, but my Flashback and even my Wico bat top stick does not.

This is two different firmware. Original controllers needs Atari/C64/Amiga firmware while Atari Flashback has it owns.  

Atari Flashback joystick is electronically the same as a Super Nintendo controller using an internal shift register.

For you wico bat, I would verify the DB9 connector if it is not defective. The bat itself is undestructible but the connector could be corroded. 

• 9 months later...
23 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Can v3.2 firmware be installed on v3.0 adapters.  And can v3.0 firmware be installed on v3.2 adapters.

Yes but the bootloader section cannot be changed (locked). This means you still need to press button 1 while you change the firmware. 

bootloader was factory locked to prevent the device from bricking. It can be changed only by reprogramming the device via ISP.

note that all 3.2 firmware works on 3.0/3.1 hardware, except Vectrex.

Hi. I just ordered 4 of these to use my 2600 paddles and ColecoVision controllers with my MiSTer. I just bought a bunch so I don’t need to keep switching the firmware, but I was wondering whether there was any functional difference between these and the Raphnet or DaemonBite adapters for Genesis and Atari CX40 controllers. Those ones just come up first when Googling around so I was curious whether all these perform identically basically.

On 3/15/2020 at 11:26 AM, Nitz1976 said:

This is two different firmware. Original controllers needs Atari/C64/Amiga firmware while Atari Flashback has it owns.  

Atari Flashback joystick is electronically the same as a Super Nintendo controller using an internal shift register.

For you wico bat, I would verify the DB9 connector if it is not defective. The bat itself is undestructible but the connector could be corroded. 

I was talking about the newer Atari Flashback controllers, the ones that work on the Atari 2600.  I know there was an original Atari Flashback that looks like a 7800 controller, but I don't have that one.  For example, I have Atari 2600 joysticks that came with the Atari Flashback 2, and they work great on the Atari 2600 and even the Colecovision, but not the adapter.

2 hours ago, amn said:

Hi. I just ordered 4 of these to use my 2600 paddles and ColecoVision controllers with my MiSTer. I just bought a bunch so I don’t need to keep switching the firmware, but I was wondering whether there was any functional difference between these and the Raphnet or DaemonBite adapters for Genesis and Atari CX40 controllers. Those ones just come up first when Googling around so I was curious whether all these perform identically basically.

Switching software was first made for Windows but will be ported to other platform later on.

We're working on a Python version to be imported virtually anywhere. ;)

1 hour ago, Noah98 said:

I was talking about the newer Atari Flashback controllers, the ones that work on the Atari 2600.  I know there was an original Atari Flashback that looks like a 7800 controller, but I don't have that one.  For example, I have Atari 2600 joysticks that came with the Atari Flashback 2, and they work great on the Atari 2600 and even the Colecovision, but not the adapter.

Theses new adapters are more or less a NES clone on DB9, using shift registers.  We have a firmware for that joystick. See download section on Retronic Design website.

4 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Flashback 2 joysticks are electrically the same as original atari joysticks.  They should use the atari/commodore firmware.

There is many models actually. The one I have here is with a shift register but you are right, there are some exactly the same as original ones.

Mine: https://rsaxvc.net/blog/2012/1/7/Atari_Flashback_Controller_Pinout_and_Frame.html

Edited by Nitz1976

4 minutes ago, Nitz1976 said:

Switching software was first made for Windows but will be ported to other platform later on.

We're working on a Python version to be imported virtually anywhere. ;)

Thanks for the reply. That's great to hear.

So once I can switch the firmware on the MiSTer itself then this adapter should perform equally to any other adapter in terms of performance? Cool. Just wasn't sure whether there would be any advantage (latency or otherwise) to purchasing different adapters for my CX40's and Genesis pads. I guess I can just stick with these for now and wait for the switcher to be ported over. Thanks again!

1 hour ago, Nitz1976 said:

There is many models actually. The one I have here is with a shift register but you are right, there are some exactly the same as original ones.

Mine: https://rsaxvc.net/blog/2012/1/7/Atari_Flashback_Controller_Pinout_and_Frame.html

Yours is from the original flashback from 2004.  It's the only atari flashback based on nintendo hardware as far as I know.

-----------------------

Your atari paddle firmware should also handle atari joysticks so you don't have to change firmware when swapping the controller.

3 hours ago, amn said:

Even better! Thanks for letting me know!

Sorry for the confusion, my comment was for the retronic developer.  Their current paddle firmware does not support joysticks so you'd have to change firmware.  It shouldn't be hard to add support for both paddles and a joystick in one firmware; retronic supplies their source code so anyone can make the changes.  I assume in mister you can map buttons or a pov hat to joystick directions.  Regarding performance, the retronic is a usb hid device so it should perform as good as any other usb hid game controller.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Nitz1976 said:

So, I'm wondering why the Flashback 2 joysticks don't work if they are the same as the originals?  I have four of them, and they all work with everything but the Retronic adapter.

33 minutes ago, Noah98 said:

So, I'm wondering why the Flashback 2 joysticks don't work if they are the same as the originals?  I have four of them, and they all work with everything but the Retronic adapter.

You have an old atari joystick that does work using the same retronic firmware?  It would be odd for one to work and not the other since these joysticks should be electrically the same and very simple.

Edited by mr_me

2 hours ago, Noah98 said:

Can you verify with a multimeter if the pinout correspond to the original controllers?

You can also try the 7800 firmware available