IGNORED

SIO2SD/PC Combo for Atari 8-bit

santosp

Hello to all! :)

As I promised before 2 months, I prepared some more devices from sio2sd micro project, but with some personal touches. ;) Why this? Because really I feel boredom to make again the same exact device, and so I said my self..... what the heck... lets try something different.

Ok the new device named "SIO2SD/PC Combo" because as the name says is 2 devices in one box. Can be used as a normal SIO2SD device, or as a SIO2PC with a standard mini USB cable.

The alterations from my previous device is a new plastic enclosure, the 5 buttons in a straight line, 2 activity flat-top leds (blue -orange), Ftdi FT232RL usb to serial ic, a new super mini blue lcd with white dot matrix characters etc..

The price this time is slightly higher, mainly because of the extra parts.

Price for one device with Paypal fee included is 60 euro, and it can be posted for plus 6 euro as "signed for" with "track number" in all the world.

Hope you like it, and wish everyone a Merry Christmas. :party: :thumbsup:

IMG 7920 1600

IMG 7921 1600

IMG 7925 1600

IMG 7887 1600

IMG 7890 1600

IMG 7900 1600

IMG 7908 1600

IMG 7907 1600

IMG 7906 1600

IMG 7903 1600

IMG 7902 1600

IMG 7932 1600

IMG 7928 1600

Edited by santosp
  • Like 1

Well,

60 Euro (plus shipping) is the cost for this device complete with SIO cable, LED-display and with a case, as shown in the pictures ?!? I ask, because I already have two lose SIO2SD without a case and without SIO-cable (and thats why I have not used them yet).

If you say yes - two devices for me, please.

Last not least (evil question) would it also be possible to add a SIO-connector (like in a 1010 or 1050) to your actual or a future pcb-design so one can add another SIO device (and this SIO2SD / PC needn`t be the end of the SIO chain)...?

-Andreas Koch.

P.S.: Did some edits of my post...

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Alright then,

two devices for me please. And let me know where to send the money (bank transfer or paypal).

What firmware revision do you use for your SIO2SD - the latest rev. 3.0 rc5 or an older rev. 2.5 (at Abbuc forum some members have personal preferences for the older 2.5 version)... however I would like to have the newest revision.

-Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Andreas...

I use from my first older device (SIO2SD Micro) the latest firmware rev. 3.1 RC2! Work PERFECT with their latest v3.5 loader also.

If you buy 2 devices, you save in shipping cost.

I will send p.m to both of you. :)

Edited by santosp

Errm,

afaik SDrive works only with FAT16, thus you have the 2GB limit. More information can be found here:

http://raster.infos....ve/sdriveen.htm

I know its hard to find these small 2GB SD cards nowadays and here in germany you even pay a higher price for 2GB SD-cards than for 4GB or 8GB SDHC cards... sooner or later this limitation will make the SDrive obsolete I guess...

SIO2SD afaik works with FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32, thus its not limited to max. 2GB but something around 8 terrabytes. Strange thing is, that some A8 sites say that SIO2SD will work with FAT32 but only with SD-cards and not with SDHC or SDXC cards (most cards bigger than 2GB are SDHC cards, most cards bigger than 32GB are SDXC cards). Hopefully future revisions of SIO2SD firmware will also allow SDHC and SDXC cards...

Translating some FAT32 facts from german Wikipedia (since Wikipedia.COM describes it differently, more like a novel):

• the filesystem is limited to 8 Tebibyte (243 Byte), thats approx. 8,8 Terabyte; the cluster-size is max. 215 Byte, there are 228 adressing possibilities. Thus, a maximum of 215 · 228 = 243 Bytes can be adressed.
  • the cluster-size varies between 512 Byte and max. 32 KiB.
  • files are allowed to have max. 4 GiB − 1 Byte (= 4.294.967.295 Byte) in size. This limitation is set by a 4 Byte wide field of the filesize in the directory-table.
  • there can be a max. of 228 files; since every file consumes a cluster, the max. number of clusters defines the max. number of files.

(Please forgive any translation errors.)

Greetings, Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

afaik SDrive works only with FAT16, thus you have the 2GB limit. More information can be found here:

http://raster.infos....ve/sdriveen.htm

I know its hard to find these small 2GB SD cards nowadays and here in germany you even pay a higher price for 2GB SD-cards than for 4GB or 8GB SDHC cards... sooner or later this limitation will make the SDrive obsolete I guess...

Very nice post, Andreas, I feel the same way, and I have been buying-up 2GB SD cards for the future. Here in Yankee-land, Wah-mah (that's Chinese for Wal-mart, where everything is made in China) is currently only selling 2GB cards in a twin-pack. You can buy a twin-pack of 2GB cards for slightly more than a single 4GB card. I advise everybody to buy some 2GB cards NOW, while they are still available at a reasonable price. They will be super-expensive soon, as the only market left for them will be people with old non-SDHC devices, and like other cases where people cling to old technology, will be forced to pay dearly.

A similar example is the Sony Memory Stick - NOT "Pro", NOT "Duo." This original specification maxed out at 128mb, or a switchable 128mb x2. Look how expensive those are, now, if you still use an old device that uses them! I have an old 2.0megapixel Sony camera I use once in a while, and a Sony voice recorder I still use frequently, or I would not know.

A similar example is the Sony Memory Stick - NOT "Pro", NOT "Duo." This original specification maxed out at 128mb, or a switchable 128mb x2. Look how expensive those are, now, if you still use an old device that uses them! I have an old 2.0megapixel Sony camera I use once in a while, and a Sony voice recorder I still use frequently, or I would not know.

Another similar story is the SmartMedia cards (do you even remember those?). I have an Olympus Digital camera that uses SmartMedia Card. Max capacity is only 128MB and availability is scarce (and expensive) at best. Even the multi-card readers are dropping the format altogether. I would hate to throw away a perfectly fine camera - that I paid close to a grand on it's heyday - just because the cards are no longer available but unfortunately obsolescence is the name of the game in the electronics world!...

Edited by atari8warez

As for standard SD cards for now 2 of the mayor memory products manufacturers still have these on production line and catalogs. This in case who someone possessed by the withdrawal syndrome, and run to buy all!! :P :P

http://uk.transcend-info.com/products/Catlist.asp?modno=6

http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/sd/standard-class4/?capacity=2GB

Mine arrived on Friday and i can say it is completely worth it's price. One thing that i noticed, which was probably unintentional, but it's that the plastic used for the case feels like the 800xl case. Build quality is excellent and the spring loaded card bay feels great. Ive yet to try the SIO2PC but my main PC rig saw it no problem when i hooked it up via USB.

Edited by KieranD212

Well,

small correction to post nr. 10 above: It seems like version 3.x of the SIO2SD firmware (which means version 3.0 and above - SIO2SD/PC combo has version 3.1) allows for SD, SDHC and maybe also SDXC cards, as long as one uses FAT32... with up to 8 Terrabytes, this should be more than enough for a while... http://sio2sd.gucio.pl/wiki/Features_en

-Andreas Koch.

slyde , the tracking info for mine still only shows that it was shipped from greece on 12/4. i hope the boat didn't sink :-o

lol... i was looking at that same tracking screen over the weekend and was getting nervous as well.

But i am happy to report that my drive just came tonight! Thanks Santosp :)

Now i just need to figure out how to use it.. i must admit that i am slightly confused right now...

Got mine today! So to clarify some things, I have a couple 16GB SDHC MicroSD cards (with a MicroSD to SDCard adapter) and I created an ATARI folder on it (it should be formatted FAT32, will have to verify that for sure) and copied one .atr file into it.

But when connected to my 130XE, it just said "No SD/MMC" card. Is this due to it being a SDHC card, or is it due to having other stuff on it?

leech