IGNORED

Pic of the ColecoVision KidVid Voice Module with Adapter

NIAD

Here is a picture of the ColecoVision version of the KidVid Voice Module with an Expansion Module Adapter and what looks like the Atari VCS version of Smurfs Save the Day cartridge and audio cassettes. As most retrogaming enthusiasts already know, the Atari VCS version was completed and sold commercially by Coleco (a U.S. version and a Canadian version), and is a very rare item to find CIB. The ColecoVision version was, however, never released commercially, but as far as I heard it was completed with the help of none other than Ralph Baer.

Seeing as it looks like the cart and audio cassettes in the picture are the Atari VCS versions, the hold up may have been the completion of the CV version of the game and then inevitably the crash of the videogame market and downward spiral of Coleco due to the ADAM.

Enjoy the picture and as an added bonus, enjoy this self-running demo of the CV version of Smurfs Save the Day (found it years ago on the Newsgroups!!) via emulation or one of the available CV multicarts.

post-25956-0-69385600-1354411533_thumb.jpg

Smurfs Save the Day (198x) (Coleco) (Demo).zip

• Like 3

Here is a picture of the ColecoVision version of the KidVid Voice Module with an Expansion Module Adapter and what looks like the Atari VCS version of Smurfs Save the Day cartridge and audio cassettes. As most retrogaming enthusiasts already know, the Atari VCS version was completed and sold commercially by Coleco (a U.S. version and a Canadian version), and is a very rare item to find CIB. The ColecoVision version was, however, never released commercially, but as far as I heard it was completed with the help of none other than Ralph Baer.

Seeing as it looks like the cart and audio cassettes in the picture are the Atari VCS versions, the hold up may have been the completion of the CV version of the game and then inevitably the crash of the videogame market and downward spiral of Coleco due to the ADAM.

Enjoy the picture and as an added bonus, enjoy this self-running demo of the CV version of Smurfs Save the Day (found it years ago on the Newsgroups!!) via emulation or one of the available CV multicarts.

What magazine is that picture from (or is it an old catalog)?

BTW, thanks for sharing, good stuff.

What magazine is that picture from (or is it an old catalog)?

BTW, thanks for sharing, good stuff.

I thought it was from the "Coleco Electronics 1984 Toy Fair Catalog", but Retroillucid has that one and told me the two box pics that I posted earlier were not in there and the KidVid probably isn't as well. Maybe Coleco updated the 1984 catalog later in the year to include all of these.

• 10 months later...

Hi, I just aquired one of these I'm selling. I'm in Toronto, Canada, & it's the Canadian Version. All Minty on the inside/foam iserts etc. Complete. except no earphone. Manual/warranty card etc. The box has a Couple tears, but nothing Absurd. I will get some foto's & start a new thread for it tonight, when I have more time to take proper foto's etc.

Thnx & Cheerz .. ~

Do I really need to point out that people on this board have already disputed the ADAM being the major cause of Coleco's downfall?

Do I really need to point out that people on this board have already disputed the ADAM being the major cause of Coleco's downfall?

:grin:

Coleco's downfall was probably something that was going to be inevitable sooner rather than later. I mean, how many times could you go to the precipice of bankruptcy and not eventually go over the edge. The ADAM, well it gave Coleco a tremendous 1-2 punch (really, management and stock holder pressure gave them that), but they continued on for another 4 years after the Jan' '85 announcement that they were dropping the CV & ADAM. So in the end, no, it was not the ADAM that finally did Coleco in, in 1989.

I don't know why people believe the ADAM cause the bankruptcy of Coleco

Sure it did not helped them making cash, but the TRUE cause of bankruptcy is certainly when the Greenberg were no more the CEO

Cause of Coleco bankruptcy? ,...... Bad decisions, simple as that

If you look closely at the Coleco history, you can clearly see the Greenberg quit being the CEO

Bryan Clarke is probably the main cause of the bad decisions taken by the company

Well after the ADAM hurdles, Coleco STOP EVERYTHING electronic, including their R&D section

They started purchasing other board company including Selchow & Righters

They also bough some Toys company including TOMY toys

The annual year reports were really NOT good in their last years

They totally spent all their money buying other companies

Sadly to them, no good profits were made from those purchased

They also continue to liscences some popular franchises, like Rambo

But again, no good sales!

The cabbage patch kids were not there this time to saved their ass

Popularity of those UGLY dolls went down .... A way down actually!

Even then, Coleco have always been on the edge, and apparently, the Greenberg brothers were kind of exhausted trying to saved their company , again and again ....

Edited by retroillucid

Not to mention all the money invested into R&D

The CED player was ready to market!

But the plugged was pulled on EVERY colecovision projects :(

Dragon's Lair was supposed to be released for the CED player

That's why Coleco did spent ALOT of money to liscence this title

I don't think they made alot of cash by releasing it for the ADAM.... :|