IGNORED

Power Lords & Lord of the Dungeon

Atari_Bill

Wow, it didn't take long for these to be shoved out to ebay. Weren't these boxes just recently offered for sale for under $100? Nice profit margin :( But hey, you should be grateful. You're getting $400 off right now!!

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2810327140281?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=281032714028&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2810327119091?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=281032711909&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

I DO have a problem with this sort of thing. These games are usually offered in a limited run with a very short pre-order window and with no rom release, (I won't even comment on how I feel about that issue right now). If you don't have the finances at that very moment or just happened to miss a thread, you're just out of luck. That means these ebay clowns are taking the place of someone who actually wanted to own the game. If you don't want to have the game for yourself, then stay the heck out of the way of those who do!

It's no different than scalping... only it's illegal when you do it with tickets.

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 1

I JUST sold those to RelliK and he received the package on Saturday. I sold them to him because he whined and practically cried about having missed out on the limited run of 10 boxes I put up a few months ago in Marketplace. I sold them to him at a discount price of about $20 per box.

I am disgusted by this attempt at consumer RAPE using my the products that I slaved over, as it is an arduous process to make these boxes.

I like Brian, but Brian, this is sickening. I hope that consumers who wish to buy my "Power Lords" and "Lord of the Dungeon" "PROBE 2000" boxes all do a Google Search on these items and find THIS THREAD and know that I sell these boxes for $24 DOLLARS.

AGAIN, GOOGLERS OUT THERE SHOULD NOT BE PIRATED BY THIS PREPOSTEROUS HIKE IN PRICE.

Lemmy Kilmeister of Motörhead recently asked fans NOT TO BUY their forthcoming compilation release as put out by the record company because:

In fact, they tried to sue to prevent its release, but they lost the case — so now that those early recordings are surfacing to the tune of a whopping $600 price tag, it’s a good time to revisit the band’s public disdain for the project. As frontman Lemmy put it, “Unfortunately, greed once again rears its yapping head. I would advise against it, even for the most rabid completists!”

Thank you Colecovision fans for speaking up about this,

Sincerely,

Greg

Phattyboombatty Productions

Edited by phattyboombatty
  • Like 5

One another thing:

This causes me to feel very competitive about my products. I have always designed and produced my Colecovision products for we, the fans to enjoy and cherish. I have been silent on watching some of these auctions go sky-high, as I perceived it as a joke. Seeing as there are THREE offers on that Power Lords box, I vow to open my own website—something like Atari2600.com, Crapahute's or Dale Wick's—and sell my products there so as to undercut this distasteful attempt at pirating...

pirate

noun: a person who attacks and robs ships at sea.

• a person who appropriates or reproduces the work of another for profit without permission, usually in contravention of patent or copyright : [with adj. ] software pirates.

So I hope that I can continue to produce boxes for the fans at a reasonable price in limited runs for all to enjoy.

Thank you.

• Like 4

Under normal circumstances, I feel that anyone can sell what they own, for whatever they would like...it is a free market after all.

That said, I think it is completely messed up to pull what Relik just did. Phattyboombatty is an awesome guy (hence, the reason he was taken advantage of) and he doesn't deserve to have a favor repaid like this. It's shit-head moves like this that ruin the hobby completely. Not for anything, but if I ask someone here for a favor like this, you would NEVER see it showing up on eBay, much less a few days later. It's this kind of nonsense that makes homebrewers and printers leave the hobby. Nobody likes being taken advantage of.

@Relik... You actually had the nerve to beat him down on the price???? What a douche move.

THESE PEOPLE ARE NOT HERE TO PRINT YOU MONEY!!!!!

My $0.02 cents...nothing should be limited run anymore. All of you homebrewers / printers should just keep making these things till you die, and always keep one copy of your game/product listed on eBay with the buy-it-now price of your choice. That is one way to keep the homebrew market prices honest and eliminate the profiteers in our midst.

• Like 4

As a collector and player, I want to thank you phatty for doing these. I didn't have the cash on hand to buy a box for my Lord of the Dungeons in your recent offering, but the boxes you made look outstanding! It is very appreciated amongst the true collectors out there. I was hoping you would see my post when I put it out there to find out if you approve of this type of turnaround on your product. Like I said before, I'm not opposed to folks making some profit, but when it they are buying limited runs just to dump on ebay at inflated prices, I find that despicable.

• Like 3

I did A LOT of research before purchasing a copy of Lord of the Dungeon. In fact, I'm sure the regular users of the chat room were sick of me bringing it up. I stalked it on eBay for a while and found out what real auctions were going for, and lost out on some. I bought a box from phattyboombatty before I even had a copy of the game, and put up a notice in the marketplace for it. Tempest and I agreed to a sale based on what the auctions were going for, and he even lowballed that by ten or twenty bucks. This is because AtariAge is a community. We want people to get games and play games because it is a shared hobby, we don't want this arms race price gouging. Limited runs are detrimental to new retro game enthusiasts. Devs should consider multiple releases, or find themselves out of an audience due to the price pirates.

• Like 1

Under normal circumstances, I feel that anyone can sell what they own, for whatever they would like...it is a free market after all.

That said, I think it is completely messed up to pull what Relik just did. Phattyboombatty is an awesome guy (hence, the reason he was taken advantage of) and he doesn't deserve to have a favor repaid like this. It's shit-head moves like this that ruin the hobby completely. Not for anything, but if I ask someone here for a favor like this, you would NEVER see it showing up on eBay, much less a few days later. It's this kind of nonsense that makes homebrewers and printers leave the hobby. Nobody likes being taken advantage of.

@Relik... You actually had the nerve to beat him down on the price???? What a douche move.

THESE PEOPLE ARE NOT HERE TO PRINT YOU MONEY!!!!!

My $0.02 cents...nothing should be limited run anymore. All of you homebrewers / printers should just keep making these things till you die, and always keep one copy of your game/product listed on eBay with the buy-it-now price of your choice. That is one way to keep the homebrew market prices honest and eliminate the profiteers in our midst.

at the very least cart and manual only after so many cib's are sold at first . Edited by AtariBrian
  • Like 1

I JUST sold those to RelliK and he received the package on Saturday. I sold them to him because he whined and practically cried about having missed out on the limited run of 10 boxes I put up a few months ago in Marketplace. I sold them to him at a discount price of about $20 per box.

I am disgusted by this attempt at consumer RAPE using my the products that I slaved over, as it is an arduous process to make these boxes.

I like Brian, but Brian, this is sickening. I hope that consumers who wish to buy my "Power Lords" and "Lord of the Dungeon" "PROBE 2000" boxes all do a Google Search on these items and find THIS THREAD and know that I sell these boxes for $24 DOLLARS.

AGAIN, GOOGLERS OUT THERE SHOULD NOT BE PIRATED BY THIS PREPOSTEROUS HIKE IN PRICE.

Lemmy Kilmeister of Motörhead recently asked fans NOT TO BUY their forthcoming compilation release as put out by the record company because:

Thank you Colecovision fans for speaking up about this,

Sincerely,

Greg

Phattyboombatty Productions

Greg I just sent you a PM which is the way this should have been handled. For everyone else I'm not selling those games out of greed (I only told a couple of people and Greg is one of them, why I'm having to flip a couple of games as its really not everyone's business, I'm not doing this for some need to make a shit ton of money that is for sure) and I didn't beat him down on the price???? :mad: That was the offer price for reasons again is not everyone's business! I'm not interested in some stupid flame war either so everyone can have there opinions. The Auction is a best offer auction so its not like $800 is the final price just like a $.99 auction isn't the final price.

Greg if you want you can PM me and we can talk about this

First of all, eBay is a hassle for sellers, and I wouldn't want to have items constantly up on eBay just for the heck of it. Secondly, I'm not into this hobby of publishing ColecoVision games to go to war with flippers, pirates, or whatever you want to call them. I and others do limited runs of our games because we're not commercial companies, just hobbyists (and perfectionists as well). When you put such valuable items out into the wild, anything can happen and you have no control over it, and that is something I was perfectly aware of when I first started releasing Team Pixelboy games.

I do find Rellik's activities distasteful, but he's not the one I tend to blame the most. I blame the poor saps who accept paying such outrageous prices without checking the sources where these items first came from. If they do contact the publisher/maker/whatever of these items and they are indeed sold out, then everything becomes fair game.

There are certainly dark aspects to capitalism, but one thing I do believe in is the underlying concept of supply and demand. If a desirable homebrew game gets released in 100 copies (or even 200 copies) and they all sell out, then compared to the millions of copies of modern games published today by Nintendo, Activision and other commercial companies, THIS HOMEBREW GAME IS RARE ANY WAY YOU LOOK AT IT. There are 7 billion people on this planet at the moment, many of them have deep enough pockets to pay for assembling a collection of rare video games. Some individuals create a bridge between rare objects and buyers, and the fact that these individuals inflate prices (sometimes to obscene levels) is all part of the game, as far as I'm concerned.

Phatty, you really should start up your own web site, because I think you offer some superb stuff and there should be an official outlet for it. But if you're hoping to counter the activities of guys like Rellik, you're in for some dire disappointment.

Take Good Deal Games, for instance. In the past, I've sold some of my games to GDG, and they were later sold at prices higher than my own prices. Whether or not GDG is entitled to make a profit from selling my games is beside the point. The real point is, GDG's limited stocks of my games sometimes sold out even before I sold my own stocks of those same games. Now ask yourself this: Why didn't those buyers check with me first before buying from GDG? Because they're misinformed, lazy, unwilling to pay for shipping from Canada, or all of the above. And in the end, GDG gets the money, and I have no control over that.

And you won't have any control over that sort of thing either, phatty. Ever. You're not a company, so you will always produce items in limited quantities, without a clear way of knowing what the exact demand is for the stuff you make (especially in the long term). And whatever you make, the more beautiful/professional/commercial it looks like, the more collectible it will be for the 7 billion potential buyers on this planet. Many of those buyers won't ever bother to track you down and contact you. They will see the items offered by guys like Rellik, and they'll just go for it, if only for the convenience of not having to shop around.

Me, I've made my peace with this kind of thing. Money is not why I publish CV games in the first place, but I do understand that they can be worth a lot of money to some people. Who knows, maybe 100 years from now, there will be a mint copy of Ninja Princess sold at Sotheby's for 50,000$. Do I care? Nope, because it's simply out of my control (and I'll be dead and burried by then).

• Like 2

No flame war intended, but listings like this even with a "make offer" option is going to be incindiery. When I used to sell on ebay, I started things at .99 and went from there to determine true market price. No complaints. Items always sold. The items are yours now and you have every right to start them at $10000 if you want. Just saying that your practices will turn many folks off. It certainly does to me.

That said, I think it is completely messed up to pull what Relik just did.

Thanks Benny. My thoughts and feelings exactly. I am not so bummed about any given person reselling any homebrewer's products... it's just the flabbergasted price-gouging that is being proffered here. I am ALL for a free market!

As a collector and player, I want to thank you phatty for doing these. I didn't have the cash on hand to buy a box for my Lord of the Dungeons in your recent offering, but the boxes you made look outstanding! It is very appreciated amongst the true collectors out there. I was hoping you would see my post when I put it out there to find out if you approve of this type of turnaround on your product. Like I said before, I'm not opposed to folks making some profit, but when it they are buying limited runs just to dump on ebay at inflated prices, I find that despicable.

You're welcome Bill! And thank you for being a fan! I've seen the posts, but as I mentioned, I wanted to gather a group perspective... and it's been building

We want people to get games and play games because it is a shared hobby, we don't want this arms race price gouging. Limited runs are detrimental to new retro game enthusiasts. Devs should consider multiple releases, or find themselves out of an audience due to the price pirates.

I appreciate the sentiments, sega_SHARK. Turnovers and some price increases don't bother me much. But what we're talking about here is a fan who posted these up for sale less than 24 hours later and jacked the price to over $1000 dollars. This is a pure instance of greed and serious, nasty inflation. I am not happy with this, nor am I supportive of it.

• Like 1

Thanks Benny. My thoughts and feelings exactly. I am not so bummed about any given person reselling any homebrewer's products... it's just the flabbergasted price-gouging that is being proffered here. I am ALL for a free market!

You're welcome Bill! And thank you for being a fan! I've seen the posts, but as I mentioned, I wanted to gather a group perspective... and it's been building

I appreciate the sentiments, sega_SHARK. Turnovers and some price increases don't bother me much. But what we're talking about here is a fan who posted these up for sale less than 24 hours later and jacked the price to over $1000 dollars. This is a pure instance of greed and serious, nasty inflation. I am not happy with this, nor am I supportive of it.

Greg if you read the PM I sent you you might understand what is going on, or at least see my side

Thanks

Enough has been posted above on this subject and all I really hope for is that phattyboombatty does make another run of these tremendous Probe 2000 boxes so that I can happily PayPal him the funds (whatever price he sets) and finally have a box for my LotD Probe 2000 Kit cart as well as hopefully one day obtain a Power Lords cart that was produced by CGE many years ago to fill the second box.

Then I can look at them with admiration for a while before I place them with the rest of my collection to hopefully never be sold... but knowing that one day something could change in my life and I would need to sell them.

• Like 1

Greg I just sent you a PM which is the way this should have been handled. For everyone else I'm not selling those games out of greed (I only told a couple of people and Greg is one of them, why I'm having to flip a couple of games as its really not everyone's business, I'm not doing this for some need to make a shit ton of money that is for sure) and I didn't beat him down on the price???? :mad: That was the offer price for reasons again is not everyone's business! I'm not interested in some stupid flame war either so everyone can have there opinions. The Auction is a best offer auction so its not like $800 is the final price just like a $.99 auction isn't the final price.

Greg if you want you can PM me and we can talk about this

RelliK, as I mentioned I think you're a terrific guy, you're one of my biggest fans, and you've been an outspoken supporter of just about all homebrewers' efforts here. I appreciate that, and I am not flaming or blasting you.

I am however, calling attention to your behavior. This is really gross man! Seriously? You're asking $1400 for a box that I just sent you for $20 bucks??? Not cool.

As for the PM, I will reply to that. But I did not start this thread RelliK. This is a thread that was born out of a public outcry (and many previous notations) of your behavior. I felt I should chime in relatively early here, and make my point. How do you expect other Colecovisioneers to feel about this blatant, inflammatory pillaging? Unless you plan on donating that money toward a charity (which I took no notice of in your auction), you are simply asking too much. This is what is being called out here, in addition to the express manner in which you turned over the products. Don't you think Luc, J-F, myself, and others would be charging that amount of $$ if we felt is was honest? Well, I feel it's not.

In Brian's defense, he did not beat me down in price, but I offered him that discount because he expressed major dissatisfaction with having missed the earlier run. I wanted him to be happy as a customer, so I gave him a killer deal. This deal was not to be FLIPPED.

Lastly: Brian you express dissent regarding this being "not everyone's business", yet you use the same eBay handle as you use here, and everyone takes notice of it. By doing that and flipping items a day after you get them from the likes of us, you are being public about this!!

There.

• Like 6

First of all, eBay is a hassle for sellers, and I wouldn't want to have items constantly up on eBay just for the heck of it. Secondly, I'm not into this hobby of publishing ColecoVision games to go to war with flippers, pirates, or whatever you want to call them. I and others do limited runs of our games because we're not commercial companies, just hobbyists (and perfectionists as well). When you put such valuable items out into the wild, anything can happen and you have no control over it, and that is something I was perfectly aware of when I first started releasing Team Pixelboy games.

I do find Rellik's activities distasteful, but he's not the one I tend to blame the most. I blame the poor saps who accept paying such outrageous prices without checking the sources where these items first came from. If they do contact the publisher/maker/whatever of these items and they are indeed sold out, then everything becomes fair game.

There are certainly dark aspects to capitalism, but one thing I do believe in is the underlying concept of supply and demand. If a desirable homebrew game gets released in 100 copies (or even 200 copies) and they all sell out, then compared to the millions of copies of modern games published today by Nintendo, Activision and other commercial companies, THIS HOMEBREW GAME IS RARE ANY WAY YOU LOOK AT IT. There are 7 billion people on this planet at the moment, many of them have deep enough pockets to pay for assembling a collection of rare video games. Some individuals create a bridge between rare objects and buyers, and the fact that these individuals inflate prices (sometimes to obscene levels) is all part of the game, as far as I'm concerned.

Phatty, you really should start up your own web site, because I think you offer some superb stuff and there should be an official outlet for it. But if you're hoping to counter the activities of guys like Rellik, you're in for some dire disappointment.

Take Good Deal Games, for instance. In the past, I've sold some of my games to GDG, and they were later sold at prices higher than my own prices. Whether or not GDG is entitled to make a profit from selling my games is beside the point. The real point is, GDG's limited stocks of my games sometimes sold out even before I sold my own stocks of those same games. Now ask yourself this: Why didn't those buyers check with me first before buying from GDG? Because they're misinformed, lazy, unwilling to pay for shipping from Canada, or all of the above. And in the end, GDG gets the money, and I have no control over that.

And you won't have any control over that sort of thing either, phatty. Ever. You're not a company, so you will always produce items in limited quantities, without a clear way of knowing what the exact demand is for the stuff you make (especially in the long term). And whatever you make, the more beautiful/professional/commercial it looks like, the more collectible it will be for the 7 billion potential buyers on this planet. Many of those buyers won't ever bother to track you down and contact you. They will see the items offered by guys like Rellik, and they'll just go for it, if only for the convenience of not having to shop around.

Me, I've made my peace with this kind of thing. Money is not why I publish CV games in the first place, but I do understand that they can be worth a lot of money to some people. Who knows, maybe 100 years from now, there will be a mint copy of Ninja Princess sold at Sotheby's for 50,000$. Do I care? Nope, because it's simply out of my control (and I'll be dead and burried by then).

Thank you so much for chiming in Luc, as I respect and value your take on this. You are 100% right about the control issue, and I have no problem with that. I am not so interested in trying to control turnovers and resales as I am trying to call attention to a fomenting rip-off here. Again, I didn't start this thread, and it's clear that others, including yourself, have felt at least a little bit burned by this type of action.

I want to say that I totally agree with you about making peace with issues like this, and I certainly don't intend to let it get under my skin. But I felt that it was easily time to reply to this bit of nastiness and to report on it. I believe there is nothing wrong with stating what I have stated, in similar fashion to what multi-millionaire Lemmy did regarding his album sales. Simply put, there's a point when things like this just don't make sense, and it's not fair for someone to be deeply involved with this tiny community just for personal gain. That's like totally Darth Sidious, man!!

Thanks again Luc for your upstanding take on salesmanship and positive business practices within our community. I appreciate it!

RelliK, as I mentioned I think you're a terrific guy, you're one of my biggest fans, and you've been an outspoken supporter of just about all homebrewers' efforts here. I appreciate that, and I am not flaming or blasting you.

I am however, calling attention to your behavior. This is really gross man! Seriously? You're asking $1400 for a box that I just sent you for $20 bucks??? Not cool.

As for the PM, I will reply to that. But I did not start this thread RelliK. This is a thread that was born out of a public outcry (and many previous notations) of your behavior. I felt I should chime in relatively early here, and make my point. How do you expect other Colecovisioneers to feel about this blatant, inflammatory pillaging? Unless you plan on donating that money toward a charity (which I took no notice of in your auction), you are simply asking too much. This is what is being called out here, in addition to the express manner in which you turned over the products. Don't you think Luc, J-F, myself, and others would be charging that amount of $$ if we felt is was honest? Well, I feel it's not.

In Brian's defense, he did not beat me down in price, but I offered him that discount because he expressed major dissatisfaction with having missed the earlier run. I wanted him to be happy as a customer, so I gave him a killer deal. This deal was not to be FLIPPED.

Lastly: Brian you express dissent regarding this being "not everyone's business", yet you use the same eBay handle as you use here, and everyone takes notice of it. By doing that and flipping items a day after you get them from the likes of us, you are being public about this!!

There.

Everyone cries on the forms that the games cost to much or the developers needs to release the roms so everyone can play. The Developers of the games need to make there money and if they don't sell out of there games each time they will go under, and that is something that none of us want. I buy multiple copies from the developer and I never sell a game while the developer is selling there game! I REFUSE TO compete with them or steal any of there sales unlike some other people that do use different user names. I don't try and hide anything! I even let GDG sellout of his games first before I sell one game. I only sell games that are sold out and that you can no longer get from the developer! When I do sell a game its to help support my hobby as I could not afforded to keep buying games and I would haft to give up collecting. If someone cries that a price is to high will they should have bought it from the developer when the developer was selling the game. In this one case yes I was forced to flip 2 games that I already had money invested in (as I bought and paid for from the developer of those games and your amazing boxes complete the game experience.) Normally I would never sell a game that fast as yes you just sent them to me, but as of right now I had to and if you read the PM you would know why. I PMd you a while ago yet you still continue to make this public. Once you actually read my PM I will be more then happy to take down the auction as it was not my intent to upset you in anyway. I don't see how I'm a asshole or douche bag for supporting the developers of the games I love! Everyone on this form should have bought LOD from JF and they should have bought Gregs boxes!! DON'T BUY THEM FROM ME!! I NEVER ASKED ANYONE HERE TO BUY!

Edited by RelliK111

Thank you so much for chiming in Luc, as I respect and value your take on this. You are 100% right about the control issue, and I have no problem with that. I am not so interested in trying to control turnovers and resales as I am trying to call attention to a fomenting rip-off here. Again, I didn't start this thread, and it's clear that others, including yourself, have felt at least a little bit burned by this type of action.

I want to say that I totally agree with you about making peace with issues like this, and I certainly don't intend to let it get under my skin. But I felt that it was easily time to reply to this bit of nastiness and to report on it. I believe there is nothing wrong with stating what I have stated, in similar fashion to what multi-millionaire Lemmy did regarding his album sales. Simply put, there's a point when things like this just don't make sense, and it's not fair for someone to be deeply involved with this tiny community just for personal gain. That's like totally Darth Sidious, man!!

Thanks again Luc for your upstanding take on salesmanship and positive business practices within our community. I appreciate it!

No problem. :) I just felt like offering a different perspective because threads like this often spin out into broad discussions about monetary gain.

Everyone cries on the forms that the games cost to much or the developers needs to release the roms so everyone can play. The Developers of the games need to make there money and if they don't sell out of there games each time they will go under, and that is something that none of us want. I buy multiple copies from the developer and I never sell a game while the developer is selling there game! I REFUSE TO compete with them or steal any of there sales unlike some other people that do use different user names. I don't try and hide anything! I even let GDG sellout of his games first before I sell one game. I only sell games that are sold out and that you can no longer get from the developer! When I do sell a game its to help support my hobby as I could not afforded to keep buying games and I would haft to give up collecting. If someone cries that a price is to high will they should have bought it from the developer when the developer was selling the game. In this one case yes I was forced to flip 2 games that I already had money invested in (as I bought and paid for from the developer of those games and your amazing boxes complete the game experience.) Normally I would never sell a game that fast as yes you just sent them to me, but as of right now I had to and if you read the PM you would know why. I PMd you a while ago yet you still continue to make this public. Once you actually read my PM I will be more then happy to take down the auction as it was not my intent to upset you in anyway. I don't see how I'm a asshole or douche bag for supporting the developers of the games I love! Everyone on this form should have bought LOD from JF and they should have bought Gregs boxes!! DON'T BUY THEM FROM ME!! I NEVER ASKED ANYONE HERE TO BUY!

Brian, you're not fooling anybody. You're attempting to draw extremely high profit from sold-out games, and you've been doing this for a while now. Whatever your reasons are for doing this, they are irrelevant to this community. That's the bottom line.

• Like 3

Brian, you're not fooling anybody. You're attempting to draw extremely high profit from sold-out games, and you've been doing this for a while now. Whatever your reasons are for doing this, they are irrelevant to this community. That's the bottom line.

Look if I'm that much of a dick then fine I will drop out of the community and that will be that!

PS I remember helping you buy Amazing Snake for $400 (I got no appreciation for that either for the time I spent making that happen for you) yet you didn't bitch at that guy for selling that game for a higher price then what he paid for that game

Really I'm such a bad guy with all the games I bought from you!! If you have a problem with me PM me and lets sort it out my god!!!