IGNORED

Power Lords & Lord of the Dungeon

Atari_Bill

Hum.....

Maybe someone should make a cv homebrew magazine where homebrewers will send infos, wip and upcomming stuff

Just saying... i know this is not an easy task ...

Unfortunately, with the web being so accessible, and the CV homebrew scene being so very small, it is not a fiscally sound idea to publish a magazine...unless it was solely online. It wouldn't generate enough revenue from advertising to even cover the print costs...not unless it was some kind of low budget style newsletter. Printing is very expensive, and only gets worse when the quantity printed per issue is low. This is why the handful of retro-gaming publications which currently exist cover the whole gambit of systems....even these printed mags have a very hard time surviving.

For what it is worth, here is my suggestion:

Maybe a single, pinned thread for release dates / announcements would better manage the amount of information floating out there at one time. If the publishers/developers were the only people given access to post there, it would keep the information posted narrowed down to "only announcements"...none of the "count me in too" posts. Then, the folks who wanted to stay in the know would just "follow" that thread, and voila! One, central location for announcements. If someone missed a release at that point, it would only be because they didn't check their emails daily...and nowadays, who does that?

One other piece of advice would be for the publishers/developers to give plenty of advance notice, so the folks who need to save up $$$ would have ample time to do so. Advance notice would allow for things like pre-order surveys...just like Pixelboy currently does. This would give the publishers a better idea of how many carts / boxes they should plan for in advance of the release date.

All of the above would reduce the amount of folks who miss out on a release, and also bolster sales for the developers/publishers...helping the homebrew scene out tenfold....just my $0.02 cents.

• Like 5

I realize this has been brought up before, but....

I think the easiest way to solve the problem of limited release homebrews (for ANY system), besides limiting the number of copies people can buy, would be something like this:

1) Announce the release of the game with X number of carts.

2) Once the carts sell out (and ONLY when sell out), the producer will either sell the ROM or release it to the community.

3) If more copies of the game is made on cart, suspend the ROM (or offer it in conjunction).

This will allow people who just want to PLAY the game the legal option of doing so, while allowing them to burn it to a cart if they want to. At the same time, the collectors will be able to buy the game in it's original cart release, and once the game is sold out, what's the harm in selling or releasing the ROM? People can do that anyway as soon as the game is released through back channels if they want.

There wil be always someone that couldn't buy the cartridge for various reasons. So the basic problem is that there are no more cartridges.

But we should distinguish between two classes of people: collectors to who collecting is very important, and players that only want to play the game.

In the case of collectors, looks like it's important to know how many CIB have been manufactured and some believe that collection loses value if more CIB are manufactured after first batch. So I suggest to include a graphic in box and cart label (not a seal, it could be altered) telling batch/edition "1st. edition", "2nd. edition" and so. I'm pretty sure that all the good collectors will got their game in the first batch.

In case of players that only want to play the game, it's more important to have the loose cartridge. So manufacturers can give the option to sell loose cartridges AFTER CIB are sold-out and probably in common black cases but with nice labels.

Personally as a player I would like to have at least a try to several games (Fireman, Ghost&Zombies and Smurf Challenge comes to my head) and I would be wiling to buy a loose cartridge at a fair price.

Game is produced by developers. Game is released CIB. Game sells out. Developers release ROM.

The problem is that popular games are selling out. I can't justify spending hundreds of dollars on one game. Opcode released the Pac-man Collection ROM. That's pretty cool, what else is he working on? Sign me up. Developers need to think of a ROM release as a promo to new players. They will jump on the physical release of the next project. New players aren't penalized for showing up late (they get a ROM release to whet their appetite). Collectors aren't penalized for owning a physical copy (the physical copy holds value). Guess what, I don't need a copy of Mario Bros. on CV because I have the pack in ROM on the SD card cart, but I'm a fan of physical releases, so I want a copy of retrollucid's Mario Bros. as well. Multiple releases are fine if they identify the production run. Some people are stinkin' FLAT BROKE. Let 'em play a ROM. Developers were never going to get cash from them anyway. If they do come across cash money, they will remember that they got to play some games from the Developers.

Look man, I collect and PLAY a lot of SEGA Dreamcast stuff. I can burn any game or emulator that I want and play the thing for less than $0.50 (the cost of a CDR). But as an enthusiast, I want a Physical Copy of the game. In fact, if it wasn't for a collection of Colecovision ROMs on a Dreamcast Disc, I wouldn't even be here.

• Like 1

Yeah, the holding back on roms is not right in my opinion . If holding back the roms, then bring all the games out on cart and manual release in unlimited quantities and just maybe change up the cart label . That might bring in extra anyways since (some) people might want the label variant . And I prefer to buy physical copies of my games .

Most of CV games released recently can be tested. They are mainly MSX or SG1000 port , so try the rom on an MSx or a SG1000 emulator and you will have a good idea how it works on C.V.

Including Homebrew done by Nanochess (Princess Quest and Zombie Near)... i discover its wonderfull work thanks to MSX. And now, if my wallet agreed , i will buy what ever he will release on CV! I think he improved Zombie Near on CV (i'm looking foward to receive it!) , but i guess the gameplay should be still close to the MSX version. So trying it on MSX , give a good idea of the quality of the game.

For others homebrews , like mine or Bfg ones . For now , we don't release the roms. I can not talk for Bfg , but concerning my Games it could be one day i release them or make it republish but under a different shape to not hurt collectors. But for now, i prefer concentrate my work on new games! ;)

But that's clear, if i received so much mails (more than 500 until now) asking me for a Ghost"n Zombie cartridge , it is simply because the Rom is hard to find.... So it is evident that if a publisher release Roms , he could lost potential sales.

• Like 1

Most of CV games released recently can be tested. They are mainly MSX or SG1000 port , so try the rom on an MSx or a SG1000 emulator and you will have a good idea how it works on C.V.

Including Homebrew done by Nanochess (Princess Quest and Zombie Near)... i discover its wonderfull work thanks to MSX. And now, if my wallet agreed , i will buy what ever he will release on CV! I think he improved Zombie Near on CV (i'm looking foward to receive it!) , but i guess the gameplay should be still close to the MSX version. So trying it on MSX , give a good idea of the quality of the game.

For others homebrews , like mine or Bfg ones . For now , we don't release the roms. I can not talk for Bfg , but concerning my Games it could be one day i release them or make it republish but under a different shape to not hurt collectors. But for now, i prefer concentrate my work on new games! ;)

But that's clear, if i received so much mails (more than 500 until now) asking me for a Ghost"n Zombie cartridge , it is simply because the Rom is hard to find.... So it is evident that if a publisher release Roms , he could lost potential sales.

I paid $350 for Ghost n Zombies CIB because I missed the release and have been dieing to get the game, then recently someone has been making unauthorized copies of the game and selling them for $50 cart only which in turn has shot the value of my real game down to under $150. Now I don't plan to sell my copy but it does really suck and is a very good reason why roms should not be released. It will turn this place into the wild west where people(pirates) can make as many copies of the games as they want. If that happens the whole hombrew committee will suffer.

Edited by RelliK111

the problem is even if you don't release the rom , if somebody want to make a copy he can . It is not so hard to dump a rom from a cartridge.. And it is surely what happened with the Gnz copies you are talking about (i didn't see them?.. could pm me to show me where i can find that?) , i have never released the rom and I don't think J-F did. So the rom comes from a cartridge directly. The only rom of Gnz that i provided to some peoples for beta testing, or for review are finger printed and easly identifiable.

the problem is even if you don't release the rom , if somebody want to make a copy he can . It is not so hard to dump a rom from a cartridge.. And it is surely what happened with the Gnz copies you are talking about (i didn't see them?.. could pm me to show me where i can find that?) , i have never released the rom and I don't think J-F did. So the rom comes from a cartridge directly. The only rom of Gnz that i provided to some peoples for beta testing, or for review are finger printed and easly identifiable.

I believe the ROM that's going around was released during the whole David Harley incident.

Just keep the games available, even if it's cartridge only, that way people who missed the release and would like to play the game can still get a copy at a normal price.

I have never seen any pirate copies of the games in the Atariage Shop, why...because they are made on demand.

Just my two cents.

Plenty of games in stores and people continue to install modchips to play the so called "backup"

(yeah, but those games sucks anyway) :P :D

Anyway, I see your point Sandy, but again programmers must be agree to let publisher make cart only

Games that I personally commisioned will have re-release, Mr.Chin, Mario Bros, Chack n Pop, Elevator Action, RollerBall etc... AND will eventually get rom release!

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 2

I paid $350 for Ghost n Zombies CIB because I missed the release and have been dieing to get the game, then recently someone has been making unauthorized copies of the game and selling them for $50 cart only which in turn has shot the value of my real game down to under $150. Now I don't plan to sell my copy but it does really suck and is a very good reason why roms should not be released. It will turn this place into the wild west where people(pirates) can make as many copies of the games as they want. If that happens the whole hombrew committee will suffer.

If it's only about value and investment it becomes a bit like stamp collecting, and has little to do with love for retro gaming.

• Like 1

Just keep the games available, even if it's cartridge only, that way people who missed the release and would like to play the game can still get a copy at a normal price.

I have never seen any pirate copies of the games in the Atariage Shop, why...because they are made on demand.

Just my two cents.

Well you can say just keep games available and make them on demand but that is a lot of work for these people and a lot of money in keeping parts in stock. They already probably have a regular job and then are spending time all year preparing and creating new games or projects("VB"). So now if they have to go back and build something everytime someone else comes along and says they want a game that is a lot of commitment you are asking from these people.

Factor that in with I am sure their families would like them to have a life with them as well "damn commitment hungry families :)" and now it just becomes too much.

If it's only about value and investment it becomes a bit like stamp collecting, and has little to do with love for retro gaming.

Unfortunately that's how I see the hobby heading. I've been in and out of so many "collections" in my life that I see the trend. When I started collecting these games in the late 80's it was a fun and extremely cheap hobby that was really enjoyable. It's still for the most part fun, but in many cases no longer cheap. The lure of a quick turnaround to make profit is getting my frustration level to the point that the fun is all but gone and resentment takes over. I just hate to see that happen.

Yeah but there is no way anybody can stop that. First you would have to be sole property owner with exclusive rights and then you would need a team of lawyers to hunt down the people that are doing this and go after them. Two things which really are not possible.

Plus you can have your game go down in value if they get re-released as well because the average person doesn't care that yours came from the first batch they just want to be able to own and play the game.

So basically you have to decide when you are making that commitment of money that it is ok if you are not going to be able to recoupe that money and it is a special bonus if some day you can make more than what you spent.

Digital download into a specially designed cart....

the cart would be made that it would be impossible to dump the rom file to pc

Rom file download will be only playable with that specially designed cartridge

Can it be done? Probably .... Worth the assles? ... Maybe, maybe not

This is the kind of project where ALL homebrewers would have to team up together and providing an online service