IGNORED

Vote for Game of the Year 2012

vprette

67 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preferred intv game from Y2012?

• LTO -> Christmas Carol vs the Ghost of Christmas present
    • LTO -> Space Patrol repackage
    • Intelligentvision -> King of the mountains
    • Intelligentvision -> Spina the bee
    • Intelligentvision -> Samegame & Robots new box
    • Intelligentvision -> Flintstones Keyboard Fun (ECS)
    • Intelligentvision -> Super NFL Football (ECS)
    • Intelligentvision -> Deep Pocket billiard
    • Intelligentvision -> Scarfinger
    • Intelligentvision -> Choplifter
    • Intelligentvision -> Illusions
    • Elektronite -> D2K Arcade
    • Elektronite -> Minehunter

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I say we should have an impromptu unofficial D2K high score competition just for the hell of it. I been wanting to play it some more and i need an excuse to. Why do i need an excuse? I have a hard time getting away from the computer these days and i'm being serious. I have hundreds of games i want to play but day after day i can't get away from the computer and i need motivation. Sometimes it takes competitions to motivate me. lol

Great idea ... I'm up for it.

I say we should have an impromptu unofficial D2K high score competition just for the hell of it. I been wanting to play it some more and i need an excuse to. Why do i need an excuse? I have a hard time getting away from the computer these days and i'm being serious. I have hundreds of games i want to play but day after day i can't get away from the computer and i need motivation. Sometimes it takes competitions to motivate me. lol

Excellent idea, Intellivision Dude. If you can organize it, you would have my eternal gratitude.

I'm sure Willy would be happy to offer some D2K T-shirts (signed?) as rewards. Sorry, we haven't made any patches (though the idea of an actual D2K patch is pretty exciting).

And if anyone rolls over the score on D2K, they can have my house. I'm not kidding. And there is very likely some variety of kill screen that occurs when you do so, because nowhere in my code do I check for rollover (in fact, it's going to write somewhere to high page of System RAM, and clobber what ever might be there).

Just to be clear, I wasn't demanding an explanation from anyone. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and I'm sure that many of you do indeed like Christmas Carol for various reasons, but citing "originality" as one of them seems very weak to me.

To me, what characters appear on screen or what back story they may have, should matter very little to the classic gaming enthusiast. I'd be much more interested in hearing about screen variety and layout, depth of gameplay, and replayability. To me, those should be deciding factors.

Carl

• Like 1

[/size]

Excellent idea, Intellivision Dude. If you can organize it, you would have my eternal gratitude.

I'm sure Willy would be happy to offer some D2K T-shirts (signed?) as rewards. Sorry, we haven't made any patches (though the idea of an actual D2K patch is pretty exciting).

And if anyone rolls over the score on D2K, they can have my house. I'm not kidding. And there is very likely some variety of kill screen that occurs when you do so, because nowhere in my code do I check for rollover (in fact, it's going to write somewhere to high page of System RAM, and clobber what ever might be there).

Just to be clear, I wasn't demanding an explanation from anyone. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and I'm sure that many of you do indeed like Christmas Carol for various reasons, but citing "originality" as one of them seems very weak to me.

To me, what characters appear on screen or what back story they may have, should matter very little to the classic gaming enthusiast. I'd be much more interested in hearing about screen variety and layout, depth of gameplay, and replayability. To me, those should be deciding factors.

Carl

An impromptu high score competition? No

A well advertised one with nice prizes is better.

I will take this under my wing and run with it, i have already been thinking about it.

• Like 2

An impromptu high score competition? No

A well advertised one with nice prizes is better.

I will take this under my wing and run with it, i have already been thinking about it.

T-shirts as a prize is a great idea ... a ROM of DK Arcade or D2K would be a great idea as well.

• 3 weeks later...

approaching end of january, we have to decide the result

I have 4 votes for D2K from intelliviion world mailing list

the score is 36-32 for Carol against D2K

waiting few more days, my question is: would it be more interesting to make an additional votation only between Carol and D2K to know the opinion of the people that mentioned other games?

I give up. Why don't we just disqualify Christmas Carol and default the winner as D2K? It really is not worth so much controversy. The year before it was rather straightforward: people voted for their favorite, and everybody accepted the winner with praise.

As the programmer of Christmas Carol I move to officially withdraw my game from this election and offer my congratulations and best wishes to the winner. As I said before, 2012 was an eventful year for our little console and it is clear that all games released throughout the year were well received, and that's what counts. :)

Cheers all around!

-dZ.

I do not want DZ to withdrawl his game either and it the game i voted for as well. But it could be true that people could of voted for it because of the Carol contest and that could of influenced some of the votes. Which is probably the reason why Carl wants the poll to continue since the D2K contest is just a few days away from starting. Which i understand.

I think the options should be to either extend the poll or call it a tie.

And people shouldn't get so bent up about it anyway. It's just a silly poll on a message board. It is not a real judge of anything anyway.

Sales should really be the way to determine the winner. LOL :-D :thumbsup:

Edited by IntellivisionDude

It has become abundantly clear that, for whatever reason or motivation, to some people Christmas Carol is just not worthy of this title; and they seem to be looking for any excuse to undermine its accumulated popularity. Implicitly, the allegations are that, whoever voted for the game must be wrong, and obviously did so because his or her critical thinking were erroneously influenced by the contest, the late release, the Christmas Season, solar flares, the full moon, or whatever else.

That's fine, but I choose not to play that game.

I wish to withdraw my game from this election because as things stand now, it cannot honorably win; someone will always point to all the reasons why some who voted did so without proper care--or worse, express how meaningless they think this honor is. I humbly and sincerely concede to Carl Mueller Jr.'s D2K as winner of the "Game of the Year 2012."

I am very happy with the praise the game has received so far, and I am immensely flattered and honored by even the slightest possibility that my game was even in the run-up for "Game of the Year." Thank you all who voted for Christmas Carol, I'm very glad you enjoyed it so much.

-dZ.

Well

I do not see any reason for your words DZ...

Maybe I didnt follow with attention all the threads, I do not know, and surely there have been some discussion around...

None is against your game of corse. and I'm glad to see it would win the contest. In fact we can still wait a bit more, but people that voted already cannot change the vote, so I do not think the final would change... anyway, as everyone who know me from years in the Intellivision community, I'm always propositive and collaborative and I make initiatives for the good of the community, I never been against anyone and I'm always surprised and really really sad to see such reactions in a community that need to grow and not to fight...

elektronite is a huge task on which I'm losing also few money, a task done because of my passion.... and sometime according to this kind of discussion rising up from the forum I feel I should abandon..... who knows...

Just for everyone to know, I'll be presenting Intellivision the 9th of february in Rome at the second biggest Videogames Museum in Europe (http://www.vigamus.com/calendario-eventi), speaking about homebrewing on intv and I'm intended to show ALSO Carol as example of professional work on this platform (togheter with Space Patrol and D2K).

deadline is end of january unless you point good reason to postpone :-)

I think everyone was aware that the deadline was the end of January. I would say that Thursday is the last day to vote. No reason to change the rules now.

Either way, both of these games are truly winners, but the REAL winners in all of this is the entire community. When was the last time the Intellivision had so much great stuff going for it? We had Carl, one hell of a programmer, designing a game that should make the original designers at Coleco too embarrassed to ever admit they made a game in the first place. Looking forward to trying to win a patch! You had Joe re-release Space Patrol ... I was honored to finally pick up a copy. You had Dave sending out games that many here never dreamed would actually come out finished, let along in the glory of CIB. And we all watched DZ launch his first ever Intellivision game of Carol and saw the LOVE that he poured into the game and all the excitement that he had in releasing it and running the high score competition. I'm thrilled that I managed to get a special edition of it and honored that I was able to win a patch!

I want to thank all of you for really enhancing this community and giving us all something to be proud of. I'm still a relative newbie here, but I've enjoyed my time and look forward to hearing from all four of the folks (groups) listed above for years to come. I will continue to support everyone and look forward to whatever each of you bring here.

Who's is game of the year? I'll be happy for any of them. I voted for Carol but at the end they're all great and add to my enjoyment of the hobby.

• Like 3