IGNORED

Name that Game - had a keyboard(?), allowed saved games

jallen99

I'm looking for the title of a classic coin-op arcade game, probably from the late 80's to early 90's era.

I don't remember much about the game play, except that it might have been a quest/adventure type of game. The game was unique, in my memory, because I believe it had a keyboard. At least I remember it having all the letter keys.

The game also allowed you to save your progress with a unique player name and password so that you could come back later and play.

Can you please name that game? It's driving me crazy.

Also, while we're at it, were there any other classic arcade games that allowed you to save your game like this. I'm talking about those that save your progress through an adventure type, instead of the more modern games that save your acquisitions (such as your upgrades to cars/boats/etc).

Thank you SO MUCH for your help.

I only saw a Thayer's Quest once; probably somewhere in New England in the early-1980s. Unfortunately, it was not working at the tiime -- I really wanted to play it. :(

As for saving progress on arcade games, don't some Neo Geo arcade games provide a slot for a personal "memory card"?

Gauntlet Legends used a password save system.

Found this on Wikapedia....I was especially interested in the part where you could play the DVD release with your remote control...too much

Sequels and rereleases

A sequel incorporating the rest of Thayer's journey was planned, but the company went bankrupt before it could be completed. In the mid-1990s, Thayer's Quest was released to home computers and CD-based consoles titled Kingdom: The Far Reaches, with the characters' names changed (Thayer became Lathan Kandor, Sorsabal became Torlock, etc., because creator Rick Dyer thought the original character and names were "too 70's") and additional animation and puzzles. In 1998Kingdom 2: Shadoan was released, including the final two kingdoms and the final battle with Torlock. In 2005 the original Thayer's Quest was released as a DVD video game by Digital Leisure, Inc. (true to the original Halcyon version) and could be played on an ordinary DVD player using the remote control. Thayer's Quest was also released for CD-ROM by Digital Leisure, Inc.

Found this on Wikapedia....I was especially interested in the part where you could play the DVD release with your remote control...too much

Sequels and rereleases

A sequel incorporating the rest of Thayer's journey was planned, but the company went bankrupt before it could be completed. In the mid-1990s, Thayer's Quest was released to home computers and CD-based consoles titled Kingdom: The Far Reaches, with the characters' names changed (Thayer became Lathan Kandor, Sorsabal became Torlock, etc., because creator Rick Dyer thought the original character and names were "too 70's") and additional animation and puzzles. In 1998Kingdom 2: Shadoan was released, including the final two kingdoms and the final battle with Torlock. In 2005 the original Thayer's Quest was released as a DVD video game by Digital Leisure, Inc. (true to the original Halcyon version) and could be played on an ordinary DVD player using the remote control. Thayer's Quest was also released for CD-ROM by Digital Leisure, Inc.

I actually picked up all those Digital Leisure games once they were released, including Shadoan and Time Traveler.

Do any of you remember playing Time Traveler back in the day?

I remember being so blown away by the holographic aspect of the game.

I've never seen anything like it since.

Had several opportunities to buy a Time Traveller (or its kit-followup 'Holloseum') but never did. Thing looked like a big washing machine with a joystick but was pretty cool.

The 'holographic' effect was nothing more than a monitor and a mirror/reflective screen but by god it worked pretty darn well. Time Traveller was a standard Laserdisc setup whilst Holloseum was completely PCB based (generic fighting game).

Always had a soft spot for the lasergames.. even with the restrictive gameplay.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember playing Thayer's Quest. I do not remember the fact that it would allow you to return back to a game. I do remember that having to play until the end was very expensive because it was time based and not based on how well you were doing. I have considered going and buying the games now that they are on DVD but so far, I have resisted the tempation.