IGNORED

What are your favorite things that came packed in with Atari video games?

ave1

So what's your favorite item that came packaged in with a video game? Is it the 2600 Omega Race Booster Grip or maybe the driving controller with Indy 500? Maybe you liked the Joyboard that came with Mogul Maniac. . . or coud it be that you liked the Atari 5200 controller coupler that came with Robotron 2084?

I spent quite a bit of time researching the great pack-ins of video gaming, so check out my NerdkO article and see if you agree with me on what I think is the greatest pack-in of all time...

http://n4g.com/news/....ed-with-a-game

Let's here about your favorite!

I like the touch pad that came with the 2600 version of Star Raiders. I also like all the crap that came with Infocom games or the cloth map that came with one of the Ultima games.

Me too.

As a kid I remember having it mounted over my head/above the TV on the desk in my room so I would have to reach over my head to hit the keys, something Han Solo often did while piloting the Falcon. Big Star Wars fan as a kid, and the touch pad made it FEEL more like piloting a spaceship to me.

I also remember getting rid of the overlay pretty quickly because I thought it made it look too much like a toy, maybe... I preferred a series of nondescript buttons, which also made it look like most Sci-Fi things I would watch a kid, plus with the overlay you had to REALLY push the buttons to make them depress.

I also remember wondering WHY did it have so many buttons? I actually didn't know about the keyboard controllers at all as a kid or (obviously) that the Video Touch Pad was just a remodeled one.

They were handy though, it gave me buttons I could press randomly without messing with the REAL controls to pretend I was activating tractor beams, increasing speed, powering up lasers or whatever I wanted to pretend to do. Ahh, childhood imagination and games that let you use your imagination while playing...

Edited by Torr
  • Like 1

The booster grip was awesome..and I absolutely LOVED the Star Raiders touch pad. Made me feel like I was really "in charge" of the star ship's systems. Other than that, the comics that came with certain games and the game catalogs. Especially the first catalogs. Great stuff. :thumbsup: