IGNORED

Off The Shelf?

nukeshed

So, I did a cursory check through the archives here, and just want to make sure that I am not crazy.

Does anyone with superior technical know-how believe that an Intellivision can be built using off the shelf parts, such as being done in this thread for the NES:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/203257-nes-super-8-project/page__hl__%20nes%20%20super

While it is such a basic question, it might be worthwhile to look into, given that Intys die every day, and soon, a replacement piece of hardware may even be hard to acquire.

So, I did a cursory check through the archives here, and just want to make sure that I am not crazy.

Does anyone with superior technical know-how believe that an Intellivision can be built using off the shelf parts, such as being done in this thread for the NES:

http://www.atariage....hl__ nes super

While it is such a basic question, it might be worthwhile to look into, given that Intys die every day, and soon, a replacement piece of hardware may even be hard to acquire.

In the NES thread, they are using the chips from a dead NES, and building a new board to connect them together. This could theoretically be done, but if the chips are soldered to the old Intellivision it might be difficult to remove them and move them to the new board. And the new board wouldn't necessarily be an improvement on the original.

Other ways to create a new Intellivision:

1. There are gadgets call FPGA's that can be programmed to emulate any device. So if someone had FPGA programming skills and the inclination, they could program an FPGA to emulate the Intellivision.

2. Alternatively, someone could get a SOC (system on a chip) running the ARM instruction set, put an emulator like jzintv on it, add a cartridge slot and hand control ports, and modify the emulator to read the cartridge and hand controls.

If the past history of homebrew hardware is any indication (7800xm, pandora...) , these projects take much more time and effort than most people would imagine.

But it would be cool to have a new Intellivision.

Catsfolly