IGNORED

Atari Lynx programming tutorial

LX.NET

I've been using sprpck 1.98, and that worked well enough with BMP files. I just wanted to try making transparent (shaped) sprites, a feature of sp65. I'm still looking for a way to export a PCX with a 4-bit index before that can happen.

You can do transparent sprite using sprpck, but perhaps I misunderstand something here...

Well. I had many issues with corrupt sprites or failed conversion for both .PCX and .BMP with all utilities. The issue, in case anyone else follows me, turned out to be the "Remove unused colors from colormap" option in GIMP2 when changing image->mode to indexed. By default it was checked. UNCHECK IT. Now, no further problems with any sprite conversion tools either .pcx or .bmp, and they save as 4-bpp instead of 8 when exported.

post-59405-0-14946300-1522287344.jpg

Edited by rmzalbar

I experienced this stuff as well, I had written down some notes to remember the next time I would need it:

• Sprites with for example two colours caused problems when remove.
  • Sprites with many colors caused problems when not remove xP
  • Not remove seemed to usually work better

Aseprite is so much easier to use if you're more of an 'artist-type', but you have to pay for that. Gimp is awesome since it's got all the tools you could imagine, but it's less intuitive to use.

• 2 years later...

A week ago I updated the setup of a Windows-based device to use Visual Studio 2019, with new instructions to get it to work, new screenshots and a new HelloWorld version that is compatible with the latest CC65 version. Hope you like it.

https://atarilynxdeveloper.wordpress.com/2012/04/07/programming-tutorial-part-2development-environment/

Edited by LX.NET
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/13/2012 at 4:28 PM, LX.NET said:

Hello Everyone,

I took the liberty of opening a new topic on the tutorial series. The main reason (besides my big ego) is that the notifications on new parts and potential discussion is now scattered throughout the Atari Lynx and Programming forum and multiple topics. Also, it gives a single, easy to find location for the source code that goes with the tutorials.

So, for your convenience, here is the list of tutorial parts:

Let me know if you find things unclear, wrong, have suggestions for topics, see room for improvement or anything else.
I hope you will find it useful and take up the programming challenge. You can take my word for it, or that of Karri, ninjabba, Matashen, sage, GadgetUK, vince, obschan, TailChao, Sebastian, Wookie, Shawn Jefferson, toyamigo, or any of the other developers: it is a lot of fun.

I've added the sources, tools and documentation for the CC65 2.13.9 SVN 5944 which is a known stable build. Remove the .txt extension for the sources archive.

cc65-snapshot-win32-2.13.9.20121203-1.zip 792.62 kB · 872 downloads

cc65-snapshot-doc-2.13.9.20121203-1.zip 729.52 kB · 997 downloads

cc65-snapshot-lynx-2.13.9.20121203-1.zip 358.39 kB · 539 downloads

cc65-snapshot-sources-2.13.9.20121203.tar.bz2.txt 1.24 MB · 584 downloads

Tutorials26082016.zip 148.53 kB · 578 downloads

It’s amazing! But what if you code in asm only?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

@LX.NET Would your Visual Studio 2019 setup work with Visual Studio Code?

To some extent. I would recommend using DevContainers with VSCode. I will put up my current setup for coding with it and to me it is much better than VS. Only thing that VS can do better is provide IntelliSense for your C code but I find that to be less important.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2022 at 3:38 PM, Ecernosoft said:

It’s amazing! But what if you code in asm only?

Well, that's what I usually do for the Lynx. ;) Downside is it's all raw assembly, with very few "standard" libraries. I use one source lib for reading/writing EEPROM saved game data, but otherwise it's all roll-your-own.

28 minutes ago, Songbird said:

Well, that's what I usually do for the Lynx. ;) Downside is it's all raw assembly, with very few "standard" libraries. I use one source lib for reading/writing EEPROM saved game data, but otherwise it's all roll-your-own.

Yep!

I've decided to do more 7800 stuff as I think it has some more potential but the lynx won't be forgotten. I don't think I'll be getting a lynx this christmas though... =/

• 3 weeks later...

Nevermind, I found a solution.

On 2/4/2021 at 3:13 AM, LX.NET said:

A week ago I updated the setup of a Windows-based device to use Visual Studio 2019, with new instructions to get it to work, new screenshots and a new HelloWorld version that is compatible with the latest CC65 version. Hope you like it.

https://atarilynxdeveloper.wordpress.com/2012/04/07/programming-tutorial-part-2development-environment/

I've been following your tutorial for setting up VS 2019 but I can't compile anything, it spits out a 58 count list of errors all in the CC65 header files which are untouched. Kind of confused, I had cloned your Hello World example project from Github and that compiled fine but creating a new project following the tutorial does not.

Edited by EmOneGarand
Fixed my problem mentioned in this post