IGNORED

[New] Atari 5200 Video Review & Games

Metal Jesus

That's quite possibly the best video review of the 5200 I've ever seen. You showed knowledge of the subject matter and included all the relevant information someone who was curious about the 5200 would need to know. And on top of that, your production values are very good. Well done!

• Like 1

That's quite possibly the best video review of the 5200 I've ever seen. You showed knowledge of the subject matter and included all the relevant information someone who was curious about the 5200 would need to know. And on top of that, your production values are very good. Well done!

Thank you very much! That means a lot coming from someone on this web site...

http://youtu.be/PRxyJdGQzLU

Is the Atari 5200 worth collecting? This is meant to be an overview for people who have never owned the console and know very little about it.

I did a big shoutout to AtariAge in the video. Hope you guys & gals like it...

you show a kempston joystick and say its a Wico ???!!

not even showing 1 homebrew? , paddles, REAL Wico Controllers, Multicarts?

you show a kempston joystick and say its a Wico ???!!

I bought this joystick off of Craigslist in a parking lot with no box or manual and it doesn't have the manufacturer on it that I can see. The intent wasn't to mislead people. Honest mistake.

not even showing 1 homebrew? , paddles, REAL Wico Controllers, Multicarts?

Nope. Don't own any... That's why I point people to AtariAge for more info.

• Like 1

I bought this joystick off of Craigslist in a parking lot with no box or manual and it doesn't have the manufacturer on it that I can see. The intent wasn't to mislead people. Honest mistake.

Nope. Don't own any... That's why I point people to AtariAge for more info.

Google is your friend:

WICO (Analog):

con_Wico.jpg

Kempston (digital) :

competition_pro_5000.jpg

Very different experiences.

Great video as always. I've been a subscriber for a while to your channel and I just recently realized you post here too. I feel like I should be sheepishly asking you for an autograph.

Also I have to give kudos to Little Metal Jesus, nothing like a kid's first Atari experience.

MJR, thanks for the shout out. The buttons don't work because Atari used a thin circuit sheet and the whole thing stinks. All you have to do is open the controller up, and glue some tin foil on the back of each button. That provides a far better contact point, and they will work again! Genesis controllers won't work.

PS: The 4-port 5200 needed that special box. The 2-port does not. Also, investigate the AtariMax SD-card Atari 5200 flash cartridge. You can play any rom out there on the 5200, though it is a pricey device.

Edited by Greg2600

in the mean time i suggest playing mr do's castle and robotron cause they both start with a fire button

for the short run you may get by with a button break out adapter jsut buy a 15 pin male and 15 pin femail and wire all wires through but put a pushbutton on pins 4 and 7

or pop the bezel off and press start with a penny

Great video MJ, and I'm a fan of the Allgen Gamers podcast as well. You were a great addition.

I believe the user manual says to plug the video cable into the switch box before plugging in the power so there should be no spark if the instructions are followed.

Keep up the great work. :)