IGNORED

[New] Atari 5200 Video Review & Games

Metal Jesus

Only in prototype form.

Well, and made by hobbyists. I have one.

Great review btw. Refreshing seeing someone giving an honest review and not spending the whole time bashing the controllers. I would say though maybe more review(s) on the games, As you said thesy stem is only as good as the games, and that's the 5200's strength.

Fantastic video as always!

Hope you get a working joystick - I am not good at tinkering / fixing, so I went ahead and bought a "Gold Refurbished" controller from Best Electronics. They have the worst website ever conceived, but their "lifetime gold" joysticks are excellent if a bit pricey, and solved my 5200 issues for good.

bought a "Gold Refurbished" controller from Best Electronics. They have the worst website ever conceived, but their "lifetime gold" joysticks are excellent if a bit pricey, and solved my 5200 issues for good.

Oh...my...god that site is freakin' terrible! Seriously... Was it created in Word Perfect 5.1 and then drag n dropped in a cheesy web site editor!? All I wanted to find was the total cost to buy a joystick and you end up reading a wordy novel about how gold contacts were made. Very annoying...

However, thanks for the suggestion...I'll keep at it.

From that godawful website...

"Standard Best Electronics reconditioned Atari CX52 Joystick with new Stock Carbon dot Silicone pads $21 (Exchange / Core Required*)

Standard Best Electronics reconditioned Atari CX52 Joystick with new Stock Carbon dot Silicone pads $27 (Out right buy, No Exchange / Core required)

Upgraded Best Electronics Atari CX2 Joystick with New Lifetime Gold Metal Dot Silicone Pads and Gold Flex Circuit $32 + Gold Surcharge (Exchange / Core required*)

Because of the current high cost of Gold we had to add a $5 surcharge to each Gold Upgraded Reconditioned Atari CX52 Joystick to cover the raising cost of Gold plated Rev. 9 Flex Circuits.

Upgraded Best Electronics Atari CX52 Joystick with New Lifetime Gold Metal Dot Silicone Pads and Gold Flex Circuit $38 + Gold Surcharge (Out right buy, No Exchange / Core required)

*Exchanged Core / used CX52 Joysticks must have all of the Stock plastic parts, with no cuts or damaged cables. Missing or damaged Silicone pads / boots is OK.

What is the US Shipping charge on Exchanged or Out right buys on Best’s Reconditioned CX52 Joysticks?

We have a Flat rate shipping charge for US / Domestic shipped Atari CX52 reconditioned Joysticks. $11.15 Priority Mail plus $2.35 Insurance for 1 or 2 CX52 Joysticks. California Residents must add their local CA Sales tax to the total. CA sales tax is based on the CX52 Controller(s) cost only (not on insurance or shipping). Click here for Best's ship to Information."

Long story short is...neighborhood of $50 total with shipping for a complete controller. Not cheap. But a good fix to the design.

That said, the buttons, even when perfectly functional, are really awfully placed if you ask me. And thus you may want to keep with the 3rd party controller you had in your video. Much improved button placement. :)

Edited by Curious Sofa
  • Like 1

You don't need all the gold. As I said, just glue tin foil to the back of each rubber button.

Agreed. I have four controllers I used the tin foil dot on literally years ago. I mostly use the same two, and they've been perfect ever since. I'm sure the gold contacts are great, but foil is much cheaper and works well.

You don't need all the gold. As I said, just glue tin foil to the back of each rubber button.

Yep. Most 5200 controllers can reasonably be refurbished for under $20. The main items that need repaired/replaced are the carbon dots on the buttons and the pots. If you superglue aluminum foil dots (shiney side out) to the back of all the carbon dots, the pots only cost a few dollars a piece through Best Electronics. The only other item that goes, on occassion, is the flex circuit. That can be had for under $5 at Best. The only drawback to buying through Best is that they require $20 minimum order, so it is not possible to just purchase parts for one controller.

The only pain is if you ever have to replace the rubber boot around the analog stick. Getting the knob off is a huge endeavor, and I used the "official" tool from Best. In terms of Flex Circuits, Atari switched to Rev. 9 later in the system's life, and those functioned/lasted much longer.

Edited by Greg2600