IGNORED

D.K. VCS

Joe Musashi

I made a new video of this game and posted on YouTube, since the other video there is several versions old. I shot video off of my computer monitor running Stella with TV effects so it looks like it was recorded off of an actual CRT. I recorded the sound directly though, and it is in STEREO.

Well done Joe!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njr4ZJEPahU

Very nice video! If there wasn't the anti-glare, one could think this would be running on a CRT TV.

• Like 1

I'd say it was fine as is, although there are a few things that vex me. The elevator stage is much tougher with only one lift active at one time, ...

I can shorten the jump distance and maybe add another elevator platform, but there will ever only be one shaft active at a time. The only way to have both would be to resort to 15Hz flicker.

... and getting past the fireball in the first stage is a challenge unto itself.

Technically, that shouldn't even exist until a barrel has fallen into the oil drum, but if that's the only way you can put it in there, I can live with it.

Having the fireball jump out of the barrel is already a stretch. I might be able to add a falling barrel that ignites the fire at some point.

Just I've discovered this and is absolutely awesome to see finally title screen, intros and animations (AND MUSIC) of Donkey Kong in Atari 2600 :thumbsup:

Congratulations for your amazing work!!!

Any chance we can see Pauline in top of level 1? the diagonal floors would be also great. With these two things it would be the greatest ever Donkey Kong 2600 :)

Thanks! But I don't think we can have Pauline on top of the screen. I could only switch between her and Kong.

The list of new things to add is probably already longer that what can be done, so I would not have high hopes.

• Like 1

I downloaded the current bin to my Harmony and this is just fantastic work! I understand that the scrolling is due to limitations but it really adds a unique spin on this classic. Leaps and bounds over the original 2600 port and the sound is great! I'll definitely watch for a physical copy. With this and DK XM for the 7800 I'll be up to my ears in Donkey Kong! :)

Leaps and bounds over the original 2600 port and the sound is great!

I'm guessing that at least 1000 carts will be sold in the AtariAge store. People who don't even have an Atari 2600 anymore will want a cart just to make their pissed off inner child happy.

• Like 2

On my PAL Jr the game is a flicker fest. Is it possible that a PAL version will look anywhere near as good as that video? :)

Stella's phosphor effect basically removes flickering altogether. Someone needs to load the ROM onto a Harmony cart and play it back on a real CRT to get the true gist of how good/bad the flicker is.

That said, Pacman 4k has 20Hz sprite flicker and I seem to tolerate it okay, so 30Hz Mario and enemie sprites should be tolerable. I haven't booted the ROM in a while, but it's usually playfield flicker that causes the most problems, not sprite flicker. Black background also helps a lot too. Anything that flickers at 15Hz or less should be banned however.

Edited by stardust4ever

Is this going to be released? This is a great version...If you could do this kind of work,you could most likely redo all of the crappy version,that were done for the ATARI 2600...LIKE.... Donkey Kong jr , amadar ,Q*bert, ETC..I think you have enought fans that would support you...

Is this going to be released? This is a great version...If you could do this kind of work,you could most likely redo all of the crappy version,that were done for the ATARI 2600...LIKE.... Donkey Kong jr , amadar ,Q*bert, ETC..I think you have enought fans that would support you...

Victoria BidWell, is that you? (Only people who have read the The Health Seekers' YearBook will get that.)