IGNORED

D.K. VCS

Joe Musashi

If you implement a sprite compression you could get a lot of space back.

Thomas Jentzsch has done compression in Star Castle Arcade.

Stay Frosty 2 uses compression.

My batari Basic DK Arcade 2600 uses Playfield compression, because 2 "Levels" are drawn from data using pfpixel.

I'm just a new programmer so my "compression" is done line by line, by hand, distilling duplicated scanlines from 175 lines down to around 16 lines. And then another programmer wrote the routine to draw the screen.

Actually it is not compression what is used in SCA or SF2.

What we are doing is data overlapping (also in SF2). Since we have LOT of data blocks which could be combined and overlapped, I developed a little tool called DOOD which automatically calculates and creates the most efficient data overlapping.

• 3 months later...

I would like to reserve a copy of the cartridge as well. This is a great port for the 2600 that would give Colecovision's version a run for the money. Finally, a version that would put the Coleco Donkey Kong port for the 2600 to shame. Nice job, "Where were you 30 years ago?"

• Like 1

I would like to reserve a copy of the cartridge as well. This is a great port for the 2600 that would give Colecovision's version a run for the money. Finally, a version that would put the Coleco Donkey Kong port for the 2600 to shame. Nice job, "Where were you 30 years ago?"

I dunno about the OP but I was still in diapers. Well, maybe not technically. I'm about to turn 34 :P

• 2 weeks later...

Here comes the last update of the hammer code for now:

• New hammering music and sound effects.
  • Made it easier for Mario to catch the hammer.
  • Hammer behavior should be mostly correct now (e.g., action is frozen when the hammer hits).
  • Fixed the crash bug that occured when Mario got hit by an enemy while holding the hammer.
  • Fixed unstable scan line count.

Next, I'll be working on fine tuning the gameplay (collision, jump distance, etc.). If there is some memory left after that, maybe we can get multiple hammers per stage.

Insert coin ! :)

Hi, just found out about this game.

Cant wait to get it.

Thanks so much.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I stalled out on collecting about 15 years ago when RGVC fizzled out. Few months ago I saw this game on youtube and was blown away...seriously thought it was a hoax. I joined AA and found out about the Harmony cartridge and immediately ordered one mainly to play this game. Every time I play it, it's a surreal experience...it just shouldn't be possible on a 2600.

I really hope it gets finished off one day as it seems to be 95% there. Difficulty appears to stay the same no matter what level. The elevator and mud pie factory screens could be made more challenging with bonus items to collect.

• Like 1

I agree.........

I still want to see a double ender cart (as suggested in comment #575) with this title on one end (Joe's DK VCS) and the other end with DK Arcade 2600 (iesposta)!!!

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but this is currently on hold.

Currently, I'm working on another project. When it gets to a playable state, I plan to come back to D.K.

Sad news, but thank you for your answer. I really hope to buy a D.K. VCS cart (with the great artwork of Yandex) one day, in a (not too distant) future. ;) What about the nee project? (if it's not "top secret")

• Like 1

Holy smokes!! What an amazing job you did on this and I hope it gets released sometime in the future after your projects and when you get the convenience. I am truly amazed at what you did to this and it looks awesome. If this was released in 1982 it seriously would have been a great match between this and the Colecovision's version.

Have you considered passing the baton to someone else to finish?

Seems like nobody was able to do it before he started it, so who could finish it without him?

...but IMHO it's not a bad idea, at least in a form of collaboration.

I suppose the project is extremely time-consuming, and the enthusiasm of the author can not be always as the first day.

But it HAS to be completed! ;) :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

How far is it from completion, and what is completion anyway?

It all depends how far you wish to go. For some, this current version would be finished.

But only the author can decide what would officially be considered finished.

I'm one of those who would be a happy man to get this version on a cartridge under my Christmas tree.

But I respect the authors choice to work on it some more. I just hope that I'll get the chance to buy one when it gets released.

I still get a cold chill thinking of missing out on the boulderdash release.

• Like 2

From the top of my head there are at the very least the following things to do (probably more, but I would have to go over my notes):

• Ajusting Mario's jump so that he cannot jump over the elevator shafts (but not making barrel jumping more difficult).
  • Level progression (implemented but buggy).
  • Interval collision detection (implemented but buggy).
  • Bug fixing. There haven't been many reports about bugs. If you happen to find any please post them here. E.g., I know that the line count still sometimes jumps.

As new features, I still would love to add items that can be picked up. But that would probaby be all that can be done.

Oh, and after really everything else is done, I'm going to make a Pauline version :)

• Like 2