IGNORED

D.K. VCS

Joe Musashi

How is progress so far? Gameplay is excellent IMO. Not too hard; not too easy. I'd like to demonstrate the hammer bug for a moment: Basically if you get hit from behind while wielding the hammer it crashes the game.

Has this been resolved yet?

I'll probably do a full playthrough later.

Edited by stardust4ever

Well, I left the thread for a few weeks and it went hither dither in all sorts of directions! Wow, talk about derailing a thread...

Anyhoo. I just saw the latest videos of the game, and I must say that I am absolutely impressed. It's hard for me to believe that this is coming from a VCS (not that I doubt it).

Personally, I'm hard planted in the Intellivision camp (sorry, my parents are at fault for picking the console that would fuel my nostalgic pangs in later life), but I would consider purchasing a VCS just to play this game.

Joe, I've been following this project since you started, and I have been blown away at every step of the way. If you ever plan on publishing this game in cart (and I'm sure you will!), I'm definitely buying it.

Amazing!

Now you may continue talking about HDMI, the merits of larger ROM sizes, macho m4d Sk1llZ, the weather, or whatever esoteric topic this thread has picked up lately.

dZ.

How is progress so far? Gameplay is excellent IMO. Not too hard; not too easy. I'd like to demonstrate the hammer bug for a moment: Basically if you get hit from behind while wielding the hammer it crashes the game.

Has this been resolved yet?

Thanks for making the video! That bug has been fixed. I'm going to make another release once the hammer code is mostly complete. That shouldn't be too long.

Joe, I've been following this project since you started, and I have been blown away at every step of the way. If you ever plan on publishing this game in cart (and I'm sure you will!), I'm definitely buying it.

Amazing!

Thanks! Still needs more polish but there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

Here comes the last update of the hammer code for now:

• New hammering music and sound effects.
  • Made it easier for Mario to catch the hammer.
  • Hammer behavior should be mostly correct now (e.g., action is frozen when the hammer hits).
  • Fixed the crash bug that occured when Mario got hit by an enemy while holding the hammer.
  • Fixed unstable scan line count.

Next, I'll be working on fine tuning the gameplay (collision, jump distance, etc.). If there is some memory left after that, maybe we can get multiple hammers per stage.

Insert coin ! :)

D.K.VCS_131110_NTSC.bin

D.K.VCS_131110_PAL60.bin

• Like 11

I dont know why i didnt share these pics before, Joe was kind enough to allow me to make a custom of this game, it is the earlier version without the hammer but i simply had to play this on my original hardware, This game is stupendously good and i look for ward to either buying or making another with the full version, Anyways here is my cart i made :)

post-33164-0-81484300-1384449857_thumb.jpgpost-33164-0-16198000-1384449876_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I had to have it, Im blown away by this game every time i turn it on, I just played the latest version and its incredible, This is actually my favourite incarnation of the game to date, With it being easier its so much more playable and fun..Goooooooooooooooooooooo Joe hes doing something incredible here

Between this and recent Classic Kong homebrew for SNES, I really really really want these made into carts. Playing the ROM on a flash cart like Harmony, Everdrive, or PowerPak just isn't the same as owning a physical copy.

Powerpak is great (have one) and Harmony is also great (have one) and Colecomax (have one) BUT...as you astutely noted:

It's never like popping in the actual cart and playing! There are SO many purely awesome homebrews out there, do yourself a favour and get em' from the AA Store. You never know when they're gonna run out, and they're just too cool to pass up. And priced very reasonably. I'll be picking this one up when it sees the light of day!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The thing that's hard to reproduce on either the VCS or the POKEY equiped machines is the triangle wave form. That waveform is used in both Pac-man and Donkey Kong, and has a distinctive sound.

I don't know how it could be done on an Atari, but in general, a way to make triangle waves out square waves would be to have two square-waves slightly out of phase.

post-37793-0-63792200-1386879837_thumb.png

NES has a decent triangle generator. And with a frequency range that drops all the way down to ~37Hz, it's perfect for driving bass lines in chip tune comps. I don't recommend doing this, but the other day I plugged my NES in my Fender guitar amp and booted Donkey Kong Original Edition (Pie Foundry) repro. Duuummmmmm-Dumm-Dumm-Dumm, Dongadongadongadonga-Duummmm. Dang, that bassy intro music is epic, to say nothing of the running/jumping effects! Maybe I should plug in my MOON8 (Pink Floyd DSOTM tribute cart by Brad Smith) into the guitar amp and jam it at max volume! :D

• Like 1

NES has a decent triangle generator. And with a frequency range that drops all the way down to ~37Hz, it's perfect for driving bass lines in chip tune comps.

Uh, yes, we know. That's why the discussion was about how to make TIA sound like an NES. Nobody needs any help making an NES sound like an NES.

Yes, it is absolutely unbelievable. I never thought the old girl could handle such a faithful version of Donkey Kong.

Impressive, yes. But faithful? The flat ramps on the first screen says no. That's something that literally every other console port of DK has managed to get right.