IGNORED

D.K. VCS

Joe Musashi

Have you tried the latest version? Currently, this is how close a barrel must get to produce a hit.

attachicon.gifhit.png

I don't think there should be a full overlap (i.e., the centers match), but I guess I could allow one more pixel if this doesn't make it too easy. I'll have a look...

You're right. I must have downloaded an old version. Re-downloaded it. Played it. Love it!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So, it's now exactly three years since the first public version was posted. To celebrate the anniversary it's fitting to post another update :)

What's new:

• Mario can now jump immediately after getting off a ladder. Note that you still have to get the timing right. You cannot jump while still being on a ladder.
  • Increased the horizontal collision overlap interval. Now Mario can overlap enemies by three pixels without getting hit.
  • And finally, level progression for all stages. As there cannot be more enemy sprites, this is done by increasing the speed. Note that difficulty only depends on the level number. This means that if you play the US stage order, the elevator will already be fast when you encounter it the first time. This is in line with the arcade version. If you want to experience level 9 but do not want to train to reach it, you can also push the joystick up when starting the game from the title. It will then start with level 9.

There is always room for improvements, but as far as features go, everything that was originally planned is now there. If development couldn't continue, this is now a version I could live with.

I will now focus on some tweaking (e.g., colors) and it may even be possible to squeeze in one or more additional features (e.g., Pauline's items). In any case, I am shooting for a release candidate next year, right in time for D.K.'s 35th anniversary.

Merry Christmas!

D.K.VCS_151217_NTSC.bin

D.K.VCS_151217_PAL60.bin

• Like 18

So, it's now exactly three years since the first public version was posted. To celebrate the anniversary it's fitting to post another update :)

What's new:

• Mario can now jump immediately after getting off a ladder. Note that you still have to get the timing right. You cannot jump while still being on a ladder.
  • Increased the horizontal collision overlap interval. Now Mario can overlap enemies by three pixels without getting hit.
  • And finally, level progression for all stages. As there cannot be more enemy sprites, this is done by increasing the speed. Note that difficulty only depends on the level number. This means that if you play the US stage order, the elevator will already be fast when you encounter it the first time. This is in line with the arcade version. If you want to experience level 9 but do not want to train to reach it, you can also push the joystick up when starting the game from the title. It will then start with level 9.

There is always room for improvements, but as far as features go, everything that was originally planned is now there. If development couldn't continue, this is now a version I could live with.

I will now focus on some tweaking (e.g., colors) and it may even be possible to squeeze in one or more additional features (e.g., Pauline's items). In any case, I am shooting for a release candidate next year, right in time for D.K.'s 35th anniversary.

Merry Christmas!

Thank you :-D

• 1 month later...

I'm currently spending some time tweaking the flicker colors for the Kong graphics. To check how different variations look on a CRT TV, I built a small test ROM where the colors can be changed interactively with the left controller. (The image below shows the color values used in all released versions for NTSC. This image here is from Stella with phosphor blend set to 50.)

post-27536-0-72454100-1454616217_thumb.png

I played around a bit, and for PAL60 I'm now leaning towards $48, $44 or $48, $46.

Unfortunately, I can only test PAL. I'm therefore looking for some help. It would be great if some people with a Harmony and an NTSC CRT TV could give it a try and post the color combinations that look best here (of course it's also appreciated to test the PAL version as not all TVs look the same).

Thank you very much in advance.

ColorTest_160204_NTSC.bin

ColorTest_160204_PAL60.bin

• Like 2

PAL: $46/$42 or $26/$42 (I prefer the latter)

The dark brown contrasts well enough with the black background and the flicker is minimized. $46/$26 are required to provide a good contrast to the dark brown.

Tested on a PAL 14" Sony Trinitron KV-14LT1E CRT[/size]

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

Thanks, guys! This has been very helpful!

PAL: $46/$42 or $26/$42 (I prefer the latter)

The dark brown contrasts well enough with the black background and the flicker is minimized. $46/$26 are required to provide a good contrast to the dark brown.

Tested on a PAL 14" Sony Trinitron KV-14LT1E CRT[/size]

26,42 is a bit yellowish on my Philips 27PT543S 27". 46,42 looks really good though. This or 46,44 are my current favorites.

P.S. The next release will also have an animated oil fire :)

For NTSC, I find 28,30 or 26,20 easy on the eyes. 26,20 is a bit dark but with very little flicker.

This is on my 4 switch with a 20" CRT TV.

Both look quite nice, in Stella 28,30 seems closer to the arcade. I think I'll use that for now.

Hopefully, we get a few more data points to cover a broader range of TVs.

I thought I had replied to this thread ages ago, telling Joe how impressed I am with this awesome interpretation, but it doesn't seem to be coming back into "My Content". So I may be repeating myself when I say that the approach to use vertical scrolling to compensate as a way of playing a portrait-oriented arcade on a landscape-oriented home console is brilliant! I know some are anxious to get the final product, but I just love being along for the ride...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Joe, could you please post a preview video of your latest D.K. VCS on your first post? Perhaps linked to youtube or something. Time permitting of course.

I like discussing this game various places, and want to have a high quality video of it (preferably from you).

I love this version!

Edited by KAZ