level/characters seems to be a bit big, but apart from that this looks really promissing

can't wait till it turn into something playable (meaning with NPC running around and lots of coins to collect)

PAL Blending doesn't work on YouTube and a TFT screen either, but if you don't sit too close, your eyes blend :)

OT: looks impressive. As candle says, it's a bit big, but I guess if you are really focused on the game and "into" it, you won't really notice.

Edited by ivop

PAL Blending doesn't work on YouTube and a TFT screen either, but if you don't sit too close, your eyes blend :)

The emulator should emulate PAL blending. The C64 emulator Vice already does it for years now.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I have my doubts that much more can be done on the A8 in terms of sprites and gameplay, but I'll see what I can do with it. :)

@Lazarus Altirra does have PAL blending emulation. From what I could tell visually comparing it to video captures of my PAL Atari 800XL, it's pretty accurate.

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I have my doubts that much more can be done on the A8 in terms of sprites and gameplay, but I'll see what I can do with it. :)

@Lazarus Altirra does have PAL blending emulation. From what I could tell visually comparing it to video captures of my PAL Atari 800XL, it's pretty accurate.

Thanks for giving this statement. If I had written this, I would have been the bad emkay again ;)

Sticking to Gr. 7 will give enough free cycles to handle many enemies, for sure. As those games don't really need that much moving objects as Space Harrier uses, colourful graphics without flicker should be still possible.

@emkay Indeed, parring down the display CPU requirements would certainly help. Another possibility is ANTIC mode 5 which also gives square pixels but also adds a fifth color and character set indirection.

Or use Antic 4, and do a LMS and DLI char change every line, swap between two fonts. This essentially gives you a 4x16 char cell at 192 line resolution. The aspect ratio will be the same as in Antic 5 but your resolution is doubled.