IGNORED

X68000 Galaga 88 ported to the Atari Falcon030

Hello guys,

I have ported Galaga 88 from the X68000 to the Atari Falcon030.

Here's an actual Hatari emulator screenshot:

g88_7.png

Please note: it has no sound and needs a lot of RAM (14 MB) but will run quite well on a 16 MHz Atari Falcon.

You can find the game here:

http://www.atomic-sk...mp/GALAGA88.ZIP

The game should also run on accelerated machines and feedback about your experience would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sascha

• Like 10

OK the keyboard handling is as iffy as you suggested but it's still fun, so I have to go find a joystick now as I know it'll be so much better... the loft will be mighty chilly but from what I've just seen on my Falcon's screen nothing is going to stop me :-)

Very impressive stuff, Sascha!

• Like 1

Fired up the ct63 falcon for the first time in a long while, opened up a brand new Quick Shot Python 1 joystick and... got totally pwnd by the game, but had a hell of a lot of fun while I was at it :-) Brilliant stuff. Can't wait to see what you bring over next, thanks for the early xmas present!

EDIT: T for Trainer? :D

• Like 1

Fired up the ct63 falcon for the first time in a long while, opened up a brand new Quick Shot Python 1 joystick and... got totally pwnd by the game, but had a hell of a lot of fun while I was at it :-) Brilliant stuff. Can't wait to see what you bring over next, thanks for the early xmas present!

EDIT: T for Trainer? :D

Nice to hear that it runs on your machine. Galaga 88 is still one of the best games of this genre. IMHO it's the best game.

A brand new joystick!? Wow! Beware: the gameplay is hard. Very hard. Sometimes even frustrating. Just don't kill your joystick! :D

The cheat mode is currently disabled. I used it to check later stages. Will be included in a later version. For the time being you may select "continue on" in the game configuration. ;)

Cheers

Sascha

• Like 1

Just tested it on my CT63 as well - great stuff! I'm sure you're well aware of what needs to be fixed, so I won't even bother mentioning ;). It's a really nice game too! I managed to progress through 7-8 levels on the first go, but I'll be sure to come back for more!

BTW what are you planning for sound? If you have a .mod prehaps you should try DSPmod since it uses really few resources and offers up to 4 sfx channels!

P.S. I had some trouble getting it to start initially and I had to open up the ct60 configuration CPX and go to "boot->TOS->delay cache 5s/no copyback alert" in order to make it work - thought I'd mention it so perhaps others won't have to fiddle with it :)

• Like 1

BTW what are you planning for sound? If you have a .mod prehaps you should try DSPmod since it uses really few resources and offers up to 4 sfx channels!

Well, the sound and music calls within the game are currently completely commented out. The interesting part is that the "sound engine" itself is usually a separate program on the X68000 which is being loaded into memory right before the game. Actually the interface to the sound engine is simply a "trap #1" call with different parameters. "trap #1" is already used by the GEMDOS so the replacement needs to be a subroutine or a different yet unused "trap" command. Emulating the sound requires the understanding of the API of the sound program which is not yet disassembled though. However, it's not impossible to add some sample play routines for a better experience.

Cheers

Sascha

Hello guys,

I have ported Galaga 88 from the X68000 to the Atari Falcon030.

Here's an actual Hatari emulator screenshot:

g88_7.png

Please note: it has no sound and needs a lot of RAM (14 MB) but will run quite well on a 16 MHz Atari Falcon.

You can find the game here:

http://www.atomic-sk...mp/GALAGA88.ZIP

The game should also run on accelerated machines and feedback about your experience would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sascha

Wow! That is so very cool!!!! :)

• Like 1

Awesome - wish I had a machine to test it on. Now you have the Falcon version running, care for a Jaguar port? :)

CJ has looked at this a bit. It wouldn't be as direct as the porting to Falcon, but game logic can be taken, you'd just have to recreate the gfx side of things in a more Jaguar way. The x68000's huge memory requirements make the Falcon a much more suitable target and I'm looking forward to more stuff from Sascha, not had much reason to use my Falcons for a while until recently!

• Like 2

what an awesome idea, and result !!

I thought the x68000 had accelerated graphic chip (like console) compared to falcon, I'm impressed by the speed of the game on an unaccelerated falcon !

I have to test this :)

Yes, the X68000 has very good graphics capabilities and can, for example, display up to 128 16x16 pixel sprites "for free". It also has different layers for graphics and text/background. So when everything is in use the emulation would slow down dramatically. Luckily Galaga 88 does not use and need all of these features.

Albeit the Galaga 88 port for the Atari Falcon030 uses only an optimized emulator it is still very fast. In fact, I was surprised by the resulting emulation speed as well. ;) It's not perfect, though, but very good playable and there's still some room for improvements.

I think it was a tragic mistake to port Galaga 88 to the Falcon. Because now you're going to get a million other requests to port other x68000 games :D

How about Ghouls and Ghosts?

:D

I just have to clean up this game, which waits to be polished to be released but I switched to Galaga 88 first since PacMania exists on the Atari.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HELyQzBSB9M

I "only" need to take the optimized routines from Galaga 88 and Pac-Mania should be completely playable as well. ;)

I already mentioned above there are some limits in respect to the graphics features of the X68000 being used in a game. Ghouls and Ghosts uses the two 256 color graphic layers for the parallax scrolling which is... well... awkward to emulate at least in the true color domain. But probably we can live without parallax scrolling in this game since it doesn't affect the gameplay much. So... wait and see... ;)

Awesome - wish I had a machine to test it on. Now you have the Falcon version running, care for a Jaguar port? :)

I am in contact with Cyrano who ported some games from the Atari ST to the Jaguar but the issue for now is the memory consumption which is truly heavy. So without many changes within the code it's hard to do a port but not impossible.

Cheers

Sascha

• Like 5

I am in contact with Cyrano who ported some games from the Atari ST to the Jaguar but the issue for now is the memory consumption which is truly heavy. So without many changes within the code it's hard to do a port but not impossible.

I was hoping it was going to be 'quick and easy' but that isn't the case. It's on my list of things to look at, but I have other priorities and commitments at the moment.

• Like 4