IGNORED

Squeeze box with alt label

tiptopjames

Not sure where to post, though this will definitely be up FO. The difference is that the blocks are white and blue instead of rainbow colors on the label. Anyone know of this variation?

heres mine

eE5to.jpg

and here's a link to a pic of a regular copy

http://www.gamegavel.com/sites/rick63/images/0048515344.JPG

Edited by tiptopjames

Not sure this is a faded label. On the regular version there's a red line just below "US Games" which doesn't appear to be here at all. As well, the black areas and the text are all sharp and crisp, just the colour seems, not just faded, but gone completely from the title and top row of bricks.

Edited by AtariLeaf

This one may need further investigation and maybe a shot of a couple of sunfaded carts. The blues are fairly bright and would have faded as much as the other colours. The bricks on the bottom are blue, the green ink would have faded as much as the rest. I did some tone tests in photoshop and found that the tone of the blue on the bottom bricks are gradually graded, the colour cart has different tone for each layer.

Unless someone has a colour faded cart to show then it looks like a variant.

The label is normally printed with cyan, magenta, yellow, and black inks (CMYK). In this case, for some reason, the magenta and yellow didn't print. Probably the printer just ran out of those inks and they didn't catch it in time before a number of them were run off. It's not faded, it's not a "variation" per se, it's a printing error. I suppose there could be some people out there who may care about something like this, but I doubt most would.

Edited by Mirage
  • Like 1

The label is normally printed with blue/cyan yellow, magenta, and black inks. In this case, for some reason, the magenta and yellow didn't print. Probably the printer just ran out of those inks and they didn't catch it in time before a number of them were run off. It's not faded, it's not a "variation" per se, it's a printing error. I suppose there could be some people out there who may care about something like this, but I doubt most would.

Yea that makes sense. More probable than an alternate label variation.

I was in printing for 15 years (I still am, very indirectly though), so I've seen a lot of this. When a printer looks at something like this, it's very obvious what happened, but to some others, it might not be.

As for a variation... it's not totally inconceivable that it was intentionally done to save money for a "variation" run, but it would have been done in the same way... shutting off the magenta and yellow on the press to achieve the exact same result as the "error printing" you see here. To me, this seems less likely because I expect if that were the case, there'd be more of them, sort of like the later Activision releases were printed with just the plain blue text labels.