IGNORED

Ultimate 1Mb Upgrade

spookt

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys

I have U1MB that wasn't ever installed (pictures), spent good few years in the wardrobe ;)

I guess, before I update the firmware with the newest one from @flashjazzcat, first I need to program Xilinx with new .jed (v3)?

Any comment will be appreciated :)

20210309_203605.jpg

20210309_204936.jpg

Edited by Jacques

12 minutes ago, Jacques said:

And IF the SIDE Hardware is there and I can update to new firmware, would there be any benefit of programming Xilinx jed v3? 

Yes: there was a bug in v2 which made only the first internal BASIC slot usable. Version 3 fixes that.

12 minutes ago, Jacques said:

Should I also replace that AMIC chip with better one you earlier advised? 

You could do, since I found the AMICs to be short-lived. All the AMICs in my boards died and have been replaced by SST 39SF040s. UFLASH will support the AMIC chips just fine, though.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Jacques said:

Hi Guys

I have U1MB that wasn't ever installed (pictures), spent good few years in the wardrobe ;)

I guess, before I update the firmware with the newest one from @flashjazzcat, first I need to program Xilinx with new .jed (v3)?

Any comment will be appreciated :)

20210309_203605.jpg

This is the original version of the U1MB, can be identified by board color and lack of current limiting resistors beside the MMU connector, this version requires 2 resistors to be added. They can be on the Atari PCB, an adapter in the MMU socket, or in the MMU connection cable, otherwise the Xilinx PLD will be damaged.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BillC said:

They can be on the Atari PCB, an adapter in the MMU socket, or in the MMU connection cable, otherwise the Xilinx PLD will be damaged.

Good call, although it was a handful of cartridges which managed to send 5V over RD4/RD5 which would blow the CPLD (which was supposed to be 5V tolerant, until it turned out it wasn't). Definitely not worth the risk, though, so the mod should always be done.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BillC said:

This is the original version of the U1MB, can be identified by board color and lack of current limiting resistors beside the MMU connector, this version requires 2 resistors to be added. They can be on the Atari PCB, an adapter in the MMU socket, or in the MMU connection cable, otherwise the Xilinx PLD will be damaged.

Great! This tells me that my old one is newer as it has the R8 and R9 resistors next to the MMU connector.  I am waiting for sockets to arrive before resuming installation...

Thanks for pointing it out Guys with additional resistors. Indeed, I have them in the original U1MB set I bought years ago.

And I find the solution with ribbon cable near the MMU connector perfect, much better than cutting traces near the cartridge connector, as originally advised in the manual ;)

https://web.archive.org/web/20170709155909/http://spiflash.org/node/18

BTW. SIDE cartridge should no harm without them?

Edited by Jacques

no, it should not

as for bf2k+ question, time will tell - it should  not in most cases, but if some cartridges banks in and out their cartridge space rapidly, some delay might be introduced that will push things out of sync - but it would be hardware specific, and really rare if observable at all

On 12/18/2012 at 11:56 AM, Louis said:

All the even numbers on the RandomTask-side are GND.

So basically you cut all the even numbers, but leave one to connect to Pin 2 U1MB side.

Since pins 8/10 are unused on the U1MB, according to the pinout you listed, only pins 4/6 should need to be disconnected.

On 3/9/2021 at 9:02 PM, flashjazzcat said:

Install it first and see if the 'SIDE Hardware' setting is present in the setup menu. If it is, it's almost certain that the CPLD already supports the new firmware.

That's how it greets me, I guess I can safely update straight to firmware 3.1? :)

20210315_200922.thumb.jpg.58e1aa97aa531fd1d0bd751cf8568cd4.jpg

EDIT:

Got it ? Thanks to EVERYONE!

20210315_205400.thumb.jpg.7ec059c0bd63cd8674d77485d1eda5bd.jpg

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

another Ulrimare Serup customer satisfied, next he can add a SIDEB and he's all set! :)

I actually own and use SIDE1 (SIDE A? ?) for years in SDX mode and its partitions on CF :)

Just initial booting up was started from SIO2SD, then it's used as typical HDD :)

But surely now it can boot by itself together with U1MB. 

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

While everything was working perfect to date, just tried flashing firmware that includes GOS, but for whatever reason GOS doesn't work on my Candle's "black" U1MB, I'm only getting some garbage on screen after attempt to boot to GOS. Any hint, please?

And by the way, is "smaller" SDX in GOS firmware missing some of the stuff?

2 hours ago, Jacques said:

I'm only getting some garbage on screen after attempt to boot to GOS. Any hint, please?

How do you go about installing this? Did you just flash the 512K 'ULTIMATE.ROM' file, obliterating everything else on the flash chip, or did you do something else?

2 hours ago, Jacques said:

nd by the way, is "smaller" SDX in GOS firmware missing some of the stuff?

Probably 'man' files; I don't find them much of a loss, but YMMV.

37 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

How do you go about installing this? Did you just flash the 512K 'ULTIMATE.ROM' file, obliterating everything else on the flash chip, or did you do something else?

That's exactly what I did, reflashed it as a whole using ULTIMATE.ROM file. It flashed perfectly fine as previously used ULTNOGOS.ROM.

The only issue with either ROM I experienced so far, is the crash when trying to run GOS.
Can it be because of older .jed (v2, I guess, since there is SIDE Hardware)?

23 minutes ago, Jacques said:

Can it be because of older .jed (v2, I guess, since there is SIDE Hardware)?

No: that should pose no problem at all, since the GOS is using the exact same banking scheme as the built-in SDX ROM.

Make sure you have some extended RAM enabled, though; I'm not sure if the GOS will fail gracefully if it fails to find at least 64K of extended memory.

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2021 at 1:57 PM, flashjazzcat said:

Side note: is there an alternative to installing the full ultimate.rom file? I switched to the 192kB SpartaDOS image when I upgraded to 3.10, but I can't find a standalone GOS ROM for Ultimate1MB in the U1MB firmware archive, and the GOS-ROMs archive appears to only cover carts.