IGNORED

Another World Jaguar Pre-Order

Albert

There was actually a discussion about this on JSII where some developers, I think it was Tursi and a few others figured out you can make a bit of money off Jaguar development compared to PC/iphone games. They figured out something about the saturation of the market with cheap iphone games or somesuch. Not that you could get rich but that it was worth your time if you were interested to make a game for the Jaguar commercially.

I can't remember the exact discussion but they figured it out so that it wasn't like you were coming out behind or somesuch.

And I'm not saying anyone is doing this to get rich off the Jaguar scene either.

I don't know what your development background is, but I suspect it is very limited. Most folks who do homebrew development do it as a hobby in their free time for the fun of it. They're not corporations out for profit. To say that homebrewers develop a game for a dead system like the Jaguar for money and greed is ridiculous. In the 90s I was very big into the console dev scene and we never did anything for money, it was for the fun of it. None of us made money on anything we wrote and we didn't care.

Edited by JagChris

No 'we' didn't discuss it. I discussed it with SebRMV.

I know SebRMV personally and I meant that "we" (he and I) discussed about a CD port at least one year before the cartridge release, and we came to the conclusion that it was not really feasible.

Edited by Orion_
  • Like 5

We looked into something like this for Superfly DX.

He is quite willing to do this for perpetual rights, but has no interest in paying percentages ongoing. I don't blame him, who would want to have to pay percentages on something over possibly the next 10 years for maybe 1-2 sales per month in the first year and then 1-2 per year for the next 10? It's not worth the effort for him, and giving up the rights to something we made is not worth it to us.

For example, with the forthcoming Rebooteroids, why can't we have an initial run of 200x L.E.s direct from Reboot themselves, and then offer up the IP for a fee for someone like Carl to handle for continuous cart production whilst giving Reboot a continuous percentage thereon? Same goes for any further production of Another World after the upcoming 2nd Run.

• Like 2

Put your money where your mouth is. The next time someone plans to release an homebrew cartridge game, give them enough money to manufacture 400 carts immediately, and spend your weekends programming them, folding cardboard, sending boxes, etc. for free.

If you can't do that, I don't see why we should have to listen to your rants.

:thumbsup:

So... how do Songbird Productions and Telegames go about doing "reprinting on demand"?

I remember back during Songbird's Black Friday 10% discount, I received an email stating that he was still working on making the cartridges to meet all of the orders that were placed during that time. Also, there has been a new batch of Iron Soldier 2 carts produced recently.

And you guys say it's not about greed or profit, yet mention that the game devs aren't going to license their IPs out to the guys who can mass-produce these games because the devs will get a smaller cut of the profit. Contradiction much? I'd rather get a smaller cut of the profit if it means I don't have to deal with the hassles of material hunting, production, returns, etc. because I'd still be making money on each sale. You don't see Krisalis Software or Bethesda Softworks complaining about licensing out their IPs to Songbird.

So Songbird, Telegames and B&C isn't making a penny on each Jaguar game they sell? Their just doing it because they're nice people? Come on man...

I would say "both." He probably got into this because he likes the Jaguar and wants to contribute... so he's definitely a "nice person." I can also vouch for that too because when my Requiem game was going back and forth between Maryland and Florida after my move (it literally went back and forth like 6 times because of change of address), he offered to just send me a new one. I KNOW he's done this before, and eaten the cost... so... make of that what you will.

However, there is NOTHING wrong with making a profit... that is one of the great motivators in life, and if anyone has a problem with making a profit, then I can recommend some great countries for you where profiting is prohibited... North Korea, Laos, Cuba... etc.

One of the Jagware's rules was :

No limited edition, it's not Atari mind, just for fun !!!

If people don't understand that, sell your Atari stuff and go make a ride with your lamborghini....

Hahah! It's actually getting to the point where I CAN sell my Atari stuff, and go ride in a Lamborghini.

For now, I prefer keeping my Atari stuff, and driving in my Pontiac Fiero.

• Like 1

I haven't read the recent issues in this thread. I can only confirm that there will be a second run of Another World. This is not coming as fast as I could have hoped but it will come. More news in the next months... Please be a little more patient.

Edited by SebRmv
  • Like 8

I haven't read the recent issues in this thread. I can only confirm that there will be a second run of Another World. This is not coming as fast as I could have hoped but it will come. More news in the next months... Please be a little more patient.

I'm definitely patient... just like talking about it!!!

Waiting as patiently as possible. :P

we already discussed this, the way the game is made is not suitable for cd.

imagine playing and sudendly in the middle of an action, the game pause and the cd starts loading...

and this cannot be changed easilly as Another World rely on a virtual machine running code made by the original author, and the loading occurs inside this custom code.

I'm curious as to why you say it isn't "suitable for CD". There have already been previous versions of the game offered on CD, for systems such as Sega CD and 3DO.

Is the problem related to something inherent in the Jaguar hardware, or are you referring to the way the existing Jaguar cartridge version was programmed? If it's the latter, then wouldn't it be possible to create a new version that works better with the advantages and disadvantages of the CD format?

I'm curious as to why you say it isn't "suitable for CD". There have already been previous versions of the game offered on CD, for systems such as Sega CD and 3DO.

I think Seb is referring to the 256 color delux format. Maybe other 90s console CD formats did not have the deluxe version with all the colors which would affect loading times.

But I wish Seb would actually try porting it and see how it actually goes. Like a two or three level Demo of it we could burn to CD to see if we would buy the deluxe version. I am pretty sure I would just to support it no matter what kind of delays were involved.

I think Seb is referring to the 256 color delux format. Maybe other 90s console CD formats did not have the deluxe version with all the colors which would affect loading times.

But I wish Seb would actually try porting it and see how it actually goes. Like a two or three level Demo of it we could burn to CD to see if we would buy the deluxe version. I am pretty sure I would just to support it no matter what kind of delays were involved.

I've seen some ports of that game to other lesser systems, and holy crap does it suck.

I'm of the assumption that the one on the Jaguar is basically as good as the one on the PC.

I've seen some ports of that game to other lesser systems, and holy crap does it suck.

I'm of the assumption that the one on the Jaguar is basically as good as the one on the PC.

Of what game? Another World? Sorry the question comes off a little strange. Please elaborate on what you are referring to. I was of the mind you were fully aware of Another World and how it was on the Jaguar.

Of what game? Another World? Sorry the question comes off a little strange. Please elaborate on what you are referring to. I was of the mind you were fully aware of Another World and how it was on the Jaguar.

Yeah, Another World. Is it not like the PC version that I played 15-20 years ago?

IE, when I say PC version, I mean "Out of this World"

Edited by 82-T/A

There are no videos in Another World. All cutscenes are done using polygons.

The ports and most extra stuff of the CD-based versions (in-game music, etc.) have not been made by Éric Chahi and he had a very limited influence on them. I'm not sure if the rights even belong to him for those versions.