IGNORED

Another World Jaguar Pre-Order

Albert

Seems to be a good time to sell rare Jaguar stuff on ebay. That's only $100 more than madbodies!

I'm going to hold off and see if this second run ever happens. Jaguar prices will cool off eventually (from their current levels anyway.)

7800 is pretty affordable right now. I just paid $130 for Mean 18 golf, which was previously going in the $350-$450 range. This will happen with Jag too.

Patience rewards those who wait...

It's insane pricing on eBay. I went there a few days ago looking into buying some Jag stuff, but after seeing the prices these days, I've started thinking about selling instead of buying! I have a modest collection these days, but adding it up by e-Bay standards I could sell it all individually and make about 2 grand! And I'm only talking about a dozen cartridges, half a dozen CD's (not including my library of home-brew CDr's) the base unit, CD unit, 1 standard controller, 1 rotary, 1 pro and Jaglink!

Seems to be a good time to sell rare Jaguar stuff on ebay. That's only $100 more than madbodies!

I'm going to hold off and see if this second run ever happens. Jaguar prices will cool off eventually (from their current levels anyway.)

7800 is pretty affordable right now. I just paid $130 for Mean 18 golf, which was previously going in the $350-$450 range. This will happen with Jag too.

That's one of the 7800 games I can't pull the trigger on, along with the Froggo games.

That's one of the 7800 games I can't pull the trigger on, along with the Froggo games.

Water-ski can be found for under $100 (and is worth it IMO, fun game) and if you want Tank Command, PM CPUWIZ, he has repro's for $30 right now.

I know what you are saying though..we all have games like that. I can't pull the trigger on $90 for freaking Ninja Golf!!

Mean 18 has a good rep and I love golf games so had to be done..

Considering the Jaguar itself is quite rare compared to most games on commercially successful platforms, I think it's hard to tell if prices will come down (sans an economic situation) with retro game collecting getting so much momentum.

I partly blame youtube :P

The prices are getting a little out of hand though and common sense would suggest they'd come down at some point, but that never really happened with the games that remained out of print like Battlesphere.

Edited by Willard

I don't think the prices will drop generally, no other retro system either. Where is the trend for that, tell me?

People collecting have money enough to spend on old games to start with, they aren't generally poor in need of a hand full of money; it is not a poor mans hobby. Rich guys set the prices.

If people decide to end their collection selling all stuff piece by piece might get good money on rare items form other "rich" collectors. Crap might go cheap. But popular titles -- which everyone collecting would like to have at least a couple of -- keep the price for the expensive at constant high level. The high level of certain games, the games we all want since they are popular and good, "lifts" the rest as well a little bit year by year. It becomes the ticket into the hobby.

Since the sellers are either collectors or retro game stores they're seldom in need to sell the game instantly, therefore they can sit and wait for people to buy it/or not at a price a little above market value = in line with their affection for the object, not selling it with a loss.

The only way to get lesser money overall is by selling off you entire collection the same month; by that the "few" people will buying will have to prior between the amount of objects for sale at the same time. But if you sell after salary day some of it, you should get your money back and some more.

You loose by selling lot. But prices might generally stagnate on a high level, and not following inflation, and by that "loose value". Collectors and retro store very seldom sink the prices on retro stuff. If they had it on the shelves for 20 years, why not 21?

IMO.

• Like 1

Also, when it comes to the Jaguar, with it's small game library, we together are more or less agreed on what games that is a "must have", and which one to avoid.

This creates a even ore fixed level of value, and as more people come along the good games and great games value will go up.

The more videos on youtube, the more will it attract newcomers with fresh money (as myself among others).

• Like 1

Pretty much everything that Atlantis said:

+1.

Regardless of how much those who 'don't' threaten those that 'have',that prices will drop, they in fact VERY rarely do.

Modern HD remakes sometime affects prices (has done with RSG & D&D on the Saturn, imo) but overall, this is few and far between.

These EverDrives that ppl are so against vs those that endorse them; designed so that people can have affordable access to old software for long dead platforms. Quite often, they have a reverse effect.

Individuals buy them to affordably access the entire library of a dead platform. The knock on effect is, that this becomes window shopping to those who didn't even know they had the 'collector' in them, to suddenly want to own the originals of great games they never knew existed. Once again, opening up the market.

Older gamers (like me) who have owned collections for years, getting older, having less space and more commitments in their lives... many of which see the EverDrives as a permanent consolidation of all their games without the need for shelf space or risk of damage/loss to their belongings; they eventually look to release their collections back into 'the wild'. To many of us, we paid MINIMAL for these games vs what others are prepared to pay. The financial renumeration, quite often, is VERY difficult to ignore. I know I had to sell my SNES collection 4 years ago, simply because I couldn't afford to have it on my shelf getting relatively little gameplay vs what it was actually worth vs my financial situation at that point. Probably would have been worth even MORE now (to support Atlantis' point).

Most of us here, in any retro gaming community, can't deny that the thought has crossed our minds - keep a console and some faves, get an EverDrive and sell the rest for a handsome profit...?

Edited by NeoGeoNinja

These EverDrives that ppl are so against vs those that endorse them; designed so that people can have affordable access to old software for long dead platforms. Quite often, they have a reverse effect.

Individuals buy them to affordably access the entire library of a dead platform. The knock on effect is, that this becomes window shopping to those who didn't even know they had the 'collector' in them, to suddenly want to own the originals of great games they never knew existed. Once again, opening up the market.

Could not agree more. The fear and mistrust that sometimes surrounds such devices is such a bizarre red herring. They only bring more people in, it gets proven each time one is unleashed - when have they ever turned collectors into ROM hoarders? lol, never... the very idea seems is ridiculous.

Unsurprisingly, the theory was fairly popular in Jaguar parts for a time, with people who claimed to be working on games forking out a good measure of what amounted to nothing more than concern trolling now you look back and see the non-existence of any further output from them. To basically point a finger in the direction of a whole user base and accuse the lot of being would-be pirates should the temptation ever be allowed to darken their pure and true collector hearts... it's so hard to understand how a good proportion of them decided to rally around the nonsense in the name of such a preposterous cause...like they were somehow doing themselves and everyone else a favour. Worried the value of their collections would diminish? No idea.

Didn't even the skunkboard guys have to bow before and negotiate at length with the JaguaSupaPowas to be allowed to release something that doesn't even nearly come close to the functionality of an everdrive? I kind of remember reading that there were months of discussions and assurances that had to be made before consent was granted. lol. The whole pathetic backlash engineered against the JagCF and Jagware back then was just one more in a series of moronic jihads brought about by these dipshits and their lolsome FUD. If there was a Jaguar equivalent of an everdrive released today, a year from now we'd see more people actively using and producing for Jaguar, not less. And to somehow imagine the value of collections diminishing overnight, no, that's pure apocalyptic fantasy.

Older gamers (like me) who have owned collections for years, getting older, having less space and more commitments in their lives... many of which see the EverDrives as a permanent consolidation of all their games without the need for shelf space or risk of damage/loss to their belongings; they eventually look to release their collections back into 'the wild'. To many of us, we paid MINIMAL for these games vs what others are prepared to pay.

Yet long-term die-hards here continue to turn up after years of inactivity and simply list the whole collection as it no longer has a place in their lives. I'm sure if there were Jaguar everdrives many would consider holding on to the console and always keeping that option open.

Then there are the kinds of people whose disposable incomes ebb and flow and with that comes the sale and repurchase of their collections. These people, maybe, could be the few who don't look back... but then they were never really in a realistically sound position to be have that collection in the first place if it comes to shifting it in favour of mortgage payments and food on the table.

Most of us here, in any retro gaming community, can't deny that the thought has crossed our minds - keep a console and some faves, get an EverDrive and sell the rest for a handsome profit...?

I'd say more the gamer guys than pure collector types could be tempted for obvious reasons.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 7

Here are my thoughts, after playing this game through on various platforms.

Its a stretch to pay even what the RGC is asking for it. That price is based on their costs, etc. and is worth paying for the Jaguar collector or player who must have/play it on the Jaguar. To pay anymore than that is just silly because good versions of this game are available on so many other platforms. SO many. Like for example the excellent HD anniversary re-release available for $10-$15 on current gen consoles. As well as:

Amiga, Apple IIGS, Atari ST, MS-DOS, Sega Genesis, SNES, Mac OS, 3DO, Tapwave Zodiac, Sega CD, Game Boy Advance, Symbian, Windows, OS X, Windows Mobile, iOS, Android, BlackBerry 10, Atari Jaguar, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Linux

My second thought, is that in the grand scheme of things, this game isn't that fun to play. It's a lot of cumbersome trial and error and cheap deaths. I think it was ahead of it's time when it came out, and is now best appreciated for its artwork and as a work of art itself. As far as gameplay goes...it aged not as well.

So basically, if you are paying $500 for this, you either have tons of money to burn, or.....you aren't using logic, or both?

Edited by travistouchdown
  • Like 4

Are you friggin kidding me? I know for a fact I have two copies of Mean 18 Golf, brand new, still in the shrink-wrap. One of the boxes is a little crushed, but I used to play that game on the PC all the time. I bought a huge lot of brand new Atari 7800 games back in the day... I've got like maybe 70+ games still in the box, all the games that had that special chip like Ball-Blazer, and I made sure to buy all of the PC ports... like Ace of Aces, Choplifter, I think Arctic Fox... etc. I haven't even looked in there in almost 5-6 years. Damn.

When was Mean 18 ever sold in the $350-$400 range? I have seen sealed copies go for up to $150 over the past five years, but nothing close to $350-$400. A sealed copy in damaged condition just sold for $125 on Ebay, so if anything, the price seems to be going up, not down.

Here are my thoughts, after playing this game through on various platforms.

Its a stretch to pay even what the RGC is asking for it. That price is based on their costs, etc. and is worth paying for the Jaguar collector or player who must have/play it on the Jaguar. To pay anymore than that is just silly because good versions of this game are available on so many other platforms. SO many. Like for example the excellent HD anniversary re-release available for $10-$15 on current gen consoles. As well as:

Amiga, Apple IIGS, Atari ST, MS-DOS, Sega Genesis, SNES, Mac OS, 3DO, Tapwave Zodiac, Sega CD, Game Boy Advance, Symbian, Windows, OS X, Windows Mobile, iOS, Android, BlackBerry 10, Atari Jaguar, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Linux

My second thought, is that in the grand scheme of things, this game isn't that fun to play. It's a lot of cumbersome trial and error and cheap deaths. I think it was ahead of it's time when it came out, and is now best appreciated for its artwork and as a work of art itself. As far as gameplay goes...it aged not as well.

So basically, if you are paying $500 for this, you either have tons of money to burn, or.....you aren't using logic, or both?

I agree collecting has a lot to do with it, and occasionally just the appeal of seeing the game on the system you like. Maybe nostalgia too. If you're just about playing the games, collecting doesn't make a lot of sense (and neither do the prices of a lot of older games). There are plenty of modern games worth playing, and digital downloads of retro games that are about the cost of shipping a boxed copy, that nobody should have enough free time to actually play them all :P

Edited by Willard

I agree collecting has a lot to do with it, and occasionally just the appeal of seeing the game on the system you like. Maybe nostalgia too. If you're just about playing the games, collecting doesn't make a lot of sense (and neither do the prices of a lot of older games). There are plenty of modern games worth playing, and digital downloads of retro games that are about the cost of shipping a boxed copy, that nobody should have enough free time to actually play them all :P

Roms and emulation should fix if you only want to play the game, if you only want the entertainment in you "mind". The value comes only by you buying and by that putting a price and value on a physical thing, that's how you tie value to any object. I play games I pay for, not games that are for free! Value.

Frankly I don't play any retro game for like 10 hours in a row, but little here and there, max 2 hours in a row. I spend more time on internet showing interest in new objects than I play them. It comes to when you end buying: no one can play, lets say, more than 66 games. But if you can't stop buying them you become a collector. If you stop under 66 games you're still a gamer per see, since you actually can play that amount of games. To have some games and keep your old consoles is kind of normal, but if you collect everything for a 20 years old system, people might look at you, high their eyebrows and go "what?". That reaction is also priceless, understanding something no one else understands. Finding value in something very marginal.

Collecting is in a way control/power to buy and own, and in a way we can control your youth, which games definitely symbolize. We all played games in our teens, and now we relive it, only this time mom and dad won't stop us from for-filling our dream: to buy every game we want, without stop.

I believe Another world is definitely worth 500$, not only the game experience "in you mind", but the fact that you can plug it into this incredible cool system. It a physical experience no emulation ever can compensate for. And it looks beautiful, and here comes the Neo Geo argument: it is art. Art is very expensive, if it is popular. This title is popular art and a milestone in video games.

=
The late development porting the game to Jaguar, is art against all odds.

The game's looks and play, is very artish

The box cover and manual, is art.

Getting you hands on this game is art.

It's art to own it, knowing everyone wants it.

It is logic a game as this become state of the art in this community. Some game has to be.

(I mean, the entire 2600 is dealt as video game art today; you play paintings)

Edited by Atlantis

I know for a fact I have two copies of Mean 18 Golf, brand new, still in the shrink-wrap.

I'm a collector that buys the games to play them. I've bought some very rare stuff that was new and shrinkwrapped. First thing I do is open it up and play it. Not saying anyone is wrong to preserve sealed copies, just that it won't be me.

Didn't even the skunkboard guys have to bow before and negotiate at length with the JaguaSupaPowas to be allowed to release something that doesn't even nearly come close to the functionality of an everdrive? I kind of remember reading that there were months of discussions and assurances that had to be made before consent was granted. lol. The whole pathetic backlash engineered against the JagCF and Jagware back then was just one more in a series of moronic jihads brought about by these dipshits and their lolsome FUD. If there was a Jaguar equivalent of an everdrive released today, a year from now we'd see more people actively using and producing for Jaguar, not less. And to somehow imagine the value of collections diminishing overnight, no, that's pure apocalyptic fantasy

I'd like to thank those JaguaSupaPowas for blocking BSG on the skunkboard. If that restriction wasn't there I wouldn't have been motivated to learn how to burn eproms and share that knowledge. Now anyone who wants to can make their own copy. That won't stop anyone who still wants to own the original release from going out and getting it.

I also have nothing against people making carts and selling them. Just wont be me. A lot of the beta carts being made and sold are from roms that were publicly released.

Edited by rayik
  • Like 1

Roms and emulation should fix if you only want to play the game, if you only want the entertainment in you "mind". The value comes only by you buying and by that putting a price and value on a physical thing, that's how you tie value to any object. I play games I pay for, not games that are for free! Value.

I wouldn't say entertainment "in your mind" isn't value in itself, the value in something is what you get from it. And financial value of something doesn't just come from putting a price on a physical thing. Digital distribution is becoming popular, and those games cost money and people pay for them.

I agree that emulation can also be a method of playing a game and getting only the entertainment value from it. That's why I say if you don't have some other motive (other than simply playing the game), getting a digital copy (most of the digitally distributed retro games are emulated) is another method. The whole point is that people aren't just basing their purchase decisions on the entertainment value of the gameplay itself these days. There are other motivations. You can reason that down however you want and consider it illogical or stupid, but as you said it's kind of like art, coin, stamp collecting in a sense (some people prbly think that stuff is stupid too).

I personally agree with travis that it's seems to be getting a little absurd, but at the same time it's udnerstandable. its basic supply and demand and I can't say I'm not guilty of contributing to the inflated prices of a few games too buy owning a copy that I paid more than I wanted to for. Enough people come in and do that and the prices have nowhere to go but up.

Edited by Willard

I'd like to thank those JaguaSupaPowas for blocking BSG on the skunkboard. If that restriction wasn't there I wouldn't have been motivated to learn how to burn eproms and share that knowledge. Now anyone who wants to can make their own copy. That won't stop anyone who still wants to own the original release from going out and getting it.

exact my opinion

maybe some clever chinese grabs up that tutorial and breaks the BS prices :-D

The black list is not the reason why BSG is not working on the Skunk :P