IGNORED

Another World Jaguar Pre-Order

Albert

Yeah they screwed up a run probably trying a cheaper vendor. But at that point had already produced a greater quantity of quality runs than Another World. And now are back on track it seems and still producing more.

And taking into account every Skunkboard is probably twice as involved to produce as a game cartridge it chews up even more the limited run because of x,y and z excuses.

I am not sure how you think a Skunk is more involved? Putting components onto a board isn't rocket science, and majority of Skunk components are surface mounted, possibly even put on at the same place as the boards are printed, if not whilst small SMD soldering isn't rocket science. Putting the code onto the skunk (BIOS and Firmware) will most likely be done via JTAG simply enough, once the board is assembled (assuming this isn't also done at the factory). And that's it, ship it...

I *think* the AW carts are not your regular carts, so construction pretty similar, done at factory. SMD. But programmed via a Jaguar or custom programmer. Once programmed each one needs to be tested. At this point if they were shipped, yeah same as a skunk roughly... BUT.. they all now have to be put in shells, have a sticker put on (carefully), and added to a box, there is the cart carrier in the box, and the manual, and the box itself.

So that's Label, Box, Manual, Inner, and cart shell.. all extra on top of what is required for a Skunk... All those printed materials are likely to not be available in orders of 10 or 20, or even 50 at a good quality. You will also need to get the boxes cut out, so you may need a template made for the printers to use to cut the boxes. The boxes will all need to be folded and glued, manuals will need to be cut, folded and stapled/glued. Before you get anything printed you need to find a willing and suitably equipped printer, get a valid deal (for your 200+ boxes minimum order), get proofs made to ensure you are not going to buy 200 boxes where the colours are off, same for the manuals, and labels.

Once you have gotten all of that, you need to put those boxes, inners, carts, labels and manuals into one another, use the stock of postage materials you have also had to buy, and then one by one send out each of those boxes you just spent hours building up.. and then take all of that to the post office?

Yeah, totally the same as getting a board made and posting it out bare / in a plane box that.

Plus there is the added stress of having to deal with unhappy customers, any possible fails that happen after they have been sent, lost in the post items (insurance, cool, because the insurance company will go and rebuild those missing carts for you? oh wait no, they'll argue and maybe at some point give you some money back, you still have to redo that effort to send out another copy, hope you have enough parts left!)

And a skunk appeals to more people (I'd imagine). I have more fun with my Skunk than any single Jag title, It is useful to many people for many reasons, a game is only that one game, so more limited appeal.

Misjudge any of the above and you could end up losing a load of money on wasted materials and time.

Producing a high quality release is NOT a simple, easy thing. Especially if it's something you have created.

• Like 4

@Zero well even Wave1 games does a bang up job of those things you listed.

Plus he still can have people do those things for him and sit back and make money.

Talking about things I know nothing about? Well maybe. But unfortunately you guys are unreliable and we can't take much stock in your info and twist on things.

Such as your guyses claims of a limited licensing run for AW. There is absolutely no evidence of that is there?

You guys just like spinning things.

Edited by JagChris

HOW are they unreliable? from recollection they (I assume you mean JagWare?) have delivered what they have promised. IIRC when AW was announced they said then it was a limited run.

No one has to prove anything to you, even if the sole reason for not making more was "Can't be arsed" that is perfectly valid a standpoint. Do you go and stand outside of your local department store and shout and rave when they cancel your favourite brand of limited edition breakfast cereal too? demand they explain in detail why they refuse to make "Sugary Snowflake Crunchies" any more?

These are people sat at home doing something for a hobby.. Perhaps one reason is, they want to do other things with THEIR time, and having entitled asshats ranting and raving at them online is simply another reason to NOT make more?

Spinning.. I think that's more in your realm, for evidence I cite your post from 5 posts ago, where you are spinning about how much easier it is to make carts, and yet in this, your most recent post you admit you don't actually know what you are talking about! So spinning is most definitely YOUR thing JC, not Zero's

• Like 5

Linko > this time you posted before me. So I assume you have a spy camera as well :)

Plus he still can have people do those things for him and sit back and make money.

*sigh*

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/206660-another-world-jaguar-pre-order/page-59?do=findComment&comment=4105852

Wave1 games is managing all his productions. That much work is surely worthy of something like Another World.

Again, you're comparing a hot-dog stand to a fine restaurant.

Why do you care so much about Another World anyways? It's not as if you discovered the Jaguar version today and was angry you couldn't get it right now.

• Like 3

Linko > this time you posted before me. So I assume you have a spy camera as well :)

*sigh*

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/206660-another-world-jaguar-pre-order/page-59?do=findComment&comment=4105852

Again, you're comparing a hot-dog stand to a fine restaurant.

Why do you care so much about Another World anyways? It's not as if you discovered the Jaguar version today and was angry you couldn't get it right now.

Zero> I guess the stamps are from when the post was started? as I had the pop-up of another post being made as I was waffling away :D

Please don't speak ill of hot dogs, I LOVE hot dogs! :) I could agree with Little Chef vs a fine restaurant though :)

Added strangeness for caring sooo much about the Jag version of AW, whilst it is a great version and well produced, it's not the only place you can play the game! it's on pretty much every platform that can run it, including the current generation of consoles, and the 16-bit Area of home computers. Due to the nature of the game and how it works, they're all pretty much identical in gameplay too (I believe)

I more get the impression most of the hatred comes from the perceived loss of ebay sale profits.. All those $300+ sales being missed.. the potential for flipping newly bought copies etc, I doubt it has much to do with the game itself and just some peoples fixation with money.

• Like 4

Please don't speak ill of hot dogs, I LOVE hot dogs! :)

Oh, there's nothing inherently wrong with them. I just don't like people selling undercooked ones, and claiming they're gourmet chefs.

I more get the impression most of the hatred comes from the perceived loss of ebay sale profits.. All those $300+ sales being missed.. the potential for flipping newly bought copies etc, I doubt it has much to do with the game itself and just some peoples fixation with money.

I was gonna mention the lack of speculation opportunity as a possible reason for the anger, too, but then I'd have been accused again of all sorts of horrible things. Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 4

As long as they have PROPER sausages, not those God-awful plastic ones that some strange folks like...

I would say the same with cheese. None of that flabby plastic American cheese crap by Kraft that comes in plastic wrap. Over in the UK do that have what we call "American" cheese? Here that refers to flabby plastic wrapped nasty ass cheese slices that are typically found on cheap burners from places like McDonalds. I;m actually curious if they have that in the UK and what they call it actually

• Like 2

Funny I've been watching a lot of Aardman animation lately. Wat's Pig rules.

If I ever see Wensleydale, I'm buying it.

Back on topic tho, is it possible to play this game on a Skunk? I dont think the ROMs has been released, or will ever be, from what I understand.

If it is I would like to know. I have a rom of it but when I flash it the game just boots to a black/dark blue screen and the game itself will not load. Someone once told me it needed a "header" but how to ad something like that I don't know. The rom I have for Battlesphere is the same way, will not load either just boots to a dark screen and that is it. But there are repros of Battlesphere out there so maybe there is a different rom that actually works or they ad in that "header" and if that's the case then maybe adding that header to the Another World rom would get it to work. Unless they will only work when burned on the cart vs flashed to the skunk. I'm actually clueless from this point tho.

You're not missing much if you haven't played Battlesphere yet anyway. It's not like the game is anywhere near as good as Battle Morph or even halfway as good as your standard PS1 game. It's highly overrated because it's "rare". The only thing the game has going for it is the graphics and even those are kind of bland. Imagine a stable version of Spacewar 2000 with way more just flying around, more ships to kill and more ships to play as (that all handle exactly the same despite the statistics when you select your ship)

Well I guess if you can find 31 friends with Jaguars and 31 copies of BSG and you can link up with everyone ya'll can Jag off to Battle Sphere Gold's multiplayer.

But good luck finding one local friend who has a Jaguar, let alone a copy of BSG

Ok seriously, has there EVER been a Battlesphere party?

I'm not being facetious. I really actually want to know.

Several, but it's been a VERY long time. I was at Philly Classic 5, demoing some Nuon stuff along with Kevin Manne of Nuon-Dome fame. There was a 4 player BS behind our table. I'll find pics and edit this post ASAP. Around that time, several local "Jaguar fests" were held, and each featured at least a 4 Jag network.

Has there been one this century? I would guess not.

• Like 1

I actually do have it. I'm not saying I don't like it. I'm just saying it's not the great game it has been made out to be. I honestly would have rather seen Spacewar 2000 completed

It's not a $500 game, that's for damn sure. Was it worth a 10 year wait? I guess not. I'm a lucky (i.e., old cynical bastard) crazy guy that had a Jag new in 95, and only paid $70 or some such for my copy.

Lame (but true) story. Saw a demo of the game at Toad Computer's closing show (I think the year was 1995). Demo of BS had a typo in the intro (invalid use of apostrophe). Sent an email to Scott & Stephanie, and got a thank you when they corrected it. That is my only contribution to the Jag community (oh - I did have the final post on the ancient Jaguar Interactive). Damn - has it really been 23 years?!?!?

• Like 2