IGNORED

Neo Geo X. Who's bought one?

A_Locomotive

My beef with that review is why is he uploading 480p, and letter boxed to boot? This is 2012.

I like the concept of the docking port and all, although I think they could have shrunk the massive size. Seems like a nice product, but for the price? Hacking is an absolute must, otherwise this unit is just not worth the money unless you love Neo Geo.

My beef with that review is why is he uploading 480p, and letter boxed to boot? This is 2012.

Are you talking about the tv/out feature being shown off in the video? How would you even get any letterboxing out of this thing?

It's either stretched to fill the screen or pillarboxed. And if it's pillarboxed, that means that he's maintaining the original 4:3 aspect ratio instead of choosing to distort it by having the output stretched to fill his screen.

That's not a bad thing.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Woot! My NGX arrived about 45min ago.

Cant play games with an AES replica stick on the PSP

It's already been hacked so you can play all the games

It's not a Sony product

Even on the handheld itself the stick makes a BIG difference. On my PSP, I hate that the tiny nub can be hard to get a feel of where you are moving it making pulling off attacks more challenging then it should be.

So far from my limited hands on experience here are my initial likes and dislikes.

- Great quality feel to it. The handheld its self while a little light does have a very nice feel to it, excellent material feel, fit and finish is great

*** This also applies to the docking station which I've seen many people claim feels flimsy, feels pretty solid to me. Maybe in comparision to a genuine AES its bad but honestly feels no worse then some of my other classic consoles.

- Control stick, the control stick on the handheld itself feels pretty good, it feel much much more natural to use for fighting games then the sticks on either my PSP or Caanoo, on those its hard to tell direction from feel at times. Though it would have been nice if

- Games that I have tried, that I have played elsewhere play pretty well!

Dislikes

- Games are not in free play mode, quite irritating seeing as most SNK games are designed ot eat quarters, so with those limited continues I will never likely be able to beat most or maybe even any of these games

*** Hoping this can be remedied later when the console is more thoroughly hacked as is this is by far my biggest gripe.

- While it hasn't happened much I have witnessed rather disappointing slow down in more intense sections fo games

- Not a huge deal but his thing really really should have been packed with some screen protectors, its screen is HUGE and with that much realistate scratches are bound to happen. I'm gonna try to find some big enough to cut to size.

I'll give more thoughts on it once I've had more time with it. :)

Edited by A_Locomotive

- Games are not in free play mode, quite irritating seeing as most SNK games are designed ot eat quarters, so with those limited continues

The system has already been hacked to load the Unibios, so this is no longer an issue.

- While it hasn't happened much I have witnessed rather disappointing slow down in more intense sections fo games

Are you certain the same slowdown doesn't occur on the original hardware? I find a lot of people forget just how much slowdown there was on the Neo Geo.

The system has already been hacked to load the Unibios, so this is no longer an issue.

Which I'm very happy about! Older SNK games difficultly borders on the absurd, Samurai Show Down on its lowest difficulty is on par with most fighting games hard difficulty! Which makes it hard to enjoy yourself or even stand a chance at getting better when the enemy counters every attack and kills you in seconds. lol Still lots of fun though. Hopefully hacking the NGX will be pretty easy, I never have much luck with that sort of thing(which is why I got a Caanoo rather then screw with my psp) so my fingers are crossed its pretty simple or someone makes a clear guide for it. :)

Are you certain the same slowdown doesn't occur on the original hardware? I find a lot of people forget just how much slowdown there was on the Neo Geo.

I've never played an AES so I have no way of knowing, only neo geo experience is on cabs, but its been a while since I last played one so thats entirely possible that it happens there too.

So I gave the docking station and controller a try. Controller will take some getting used to since the sticks throw is so long and unlike with arcade machines I don't want to go crazy slamming it around and risk breaking it, controller feels quite solid but don't want to tempt fate. Feels very nice when playing, can just rest it on my lap and my hands on it and kick some ass! I really wish they included a way to chance the aspect ratio while it is in the dock, it defaults to 16:9 which I don't like at all I much prefer it in 4:3. I've only tried it out on my flat screen so far with the HDMI cable, hopefully when I test it out with the AV cables on my CRT it automatically goes 4:3.

Edited by A_Locomotive

Are you talking about the tv/out feature being shown off in the video? How would you even get any letterboxing out of this thing?

It's either stretched to fill the screen or pillarboxed. And if it's pillarboxed, that means that he's maintaining the original 4:3 aspect ratio instead of choosing to distort it by having the output stretched to fill his screen.

That's not a bad thing.

I'm speaking only of his youtube video itself. why is it only 480?

Alright a little more hands on feedback. Spent some time trying out more of the fighters, this time no joystick since I wanted to watch tv while I played. I can safely say I LOVE the control stick on the handheld itself, its night and day comparing games between it and the PSP on the fighters, it feels right it controls right, its everything I love about my Neo Geo pocket in a modern form. My Caanoo nor PSP can't play like this with their more compact sticks. King of Fighters is my person favorite of all of the included games. How ever on Last result the controls don't translate as well, I got damn good at this on my PSP, enough where I could beat the first level dying only once(always on that damn giant machine in the tunnel) but on this I'm dying non stop, I just don't feel like I don't have as good of control, will have to compare them back to back to make sure I'm just not really rusty or something. I've seen complaints about the sound and screen brightness on some, I agree the screens could be brighter, I've only played in my home but outside I think it might be a be hard to see clearly. Sound wise this has to be a hit or miss problem or something as mine is very strong.

I can safely say I'd recommend this if you are a Neo Geo fan and like me can't afford/justify the cost of the real deal or heck just want it in a kick ass portable form! I love mine and am glad I got it.

Thoroughly jealous Ax! Hehe I'd imagine there is a bit of bias there. ;) For me most of my portables never see portable use, they get almost all their play in my room late at night while I'm half watching TV. The only portable I usually take out is my NGPC since its so small and the games are all pick up and play with no time needed to get into them and you can shut it off without caring most of the time. My Lynx hasn't left the house since the one time I brought it on a plane, never realize how big its carry bag is till you are crammed between two people.

From the moment I saw mockups this handheld never looked like anything more than a slightly updated Dingoo handheld except locked down to ONLY run NEO GEO emulation, what I had been saying from the beginning, seemed like a cheap cash in to hook the NEO GEO fans and nothing more, sadly suckers are buying into it SIMPLY because it has the SNK NEO GEO name slapped onto it lol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=430-iM_kXT0

• Like 1

From the moment I saw mockups this handheld never looked like anything more than a slightly updated Dingoo handheld except locked down to ONLY run NEO GEO emulation, what I had been saying from the beginning, seemed like a cheap cash in to hook the NEO GEO fans and nothing more, sadly suckers are buying into it SIMPLY because it has the SNK NEO GEO name slapped onto it lol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=430-iM_kXT0

Yup, like I've always said.

Real girls better than blow up dolls.

Dim.

• Like 3

I would buy one if it was similar in build and price to the ATGames Sega handhelds.

For anyone who really wants to get into Neo Geo you can find MVS cabinets at a decent price. My dedicated two slot cabinet was $250 + a little extra for new buttons, etc. You won't find that price every day, but they are out there. They made a ton of those machines. The MVS games are pretty cheap too.

And the Neo Geo does suffer from slow down in a lot of games. Metal Slug X is really bad at times. Some of the shooters too.

Edited by UberArcade

I would buy one if it was similar in build and price to the ATGames Sega handhelds.

They'll get there, once the systems start getting cleared out. You probably won't have to wait too long.

I actually believe they priced the system perfectly. Not because I think it's worth that much, but the Neo Geo community is always ready to throw money around. It's priced in a range where many members of the community will buy it and not complain about problems with it.

It's my opinion that the N-G community has dramatically inflated prices for both hardware and games over the years, simply due to certain members who seem to be proud to show off they spent a ridiculous amount of money for a N-G related item. It's a real shame, as it puts the N-G out of reach for many people.

• Like 2

They'll get there, once the systems start getting cleared out. You probably won't have to wait too long.

I actually believe they priced the system perfectly. Not because I think it's worth that much, but the Neo Geo community is always ready to throw money around. It's priced in a range where many members of the community will buy it and not complain about problems with it.

It's my opinion that the N-G community has dramatically inflated prices for both hardware and games over the years, simply due to certain members who seem to be proud to show off they spent a ridiculous amount of money for a N-G related item. It's a real shame, as it puts the N-G out of reach for many people.

I don't agree with your price inflation theory at all. Unlike other classic systems, there seems to be a steady flow of new Neo Geo collectors coming into the market all the time. At the same time, the supply of games and hardware has remained the same. As such, prices are going to continue to increase until such time as supply exceeds demand. I've been collecting Neo Geo US AES games for about a decade now and unlike recent price inflation on things like sealed NES games, Neo Geo prices have actually increased pretty gradually and it's not like values have doubled or tripled in months or even years.

If you just want to play Neo Geo games, it's very easy to buy a cabinet or even just a Supergun and an MVS unit and buy cheap MVS games or even a multicart. You can also buy many Neo Geo games as downloads on various hardware platforms or even download the roms. The fact is that other than the early Neo Geo AES games, most of the AES games were produced in relatively small quantities compared to other systems and as such, prices are actually pretty well tied to demand and actual market rates as opposed to being driven by artificial factors.

Edited by bojay1997

• 3 weeks later...

Pictures I've seen of the North American NeoGeo X box show that it has text on it saying it's designed and made by Tommo, who is the North American distributor of the product. However, I find this hard to believe, for assorted reasons. If anyone here has a NeoGeo X from Europe, Japan, or somewhere else in Asia, what does that region's box or manual say for who created it?

onmode-ky

Edit: Never mind. I thought to check the other regions' distributors' sites, and they all use the same box. The Japanese support site also explicitly names Tommo as the producer. So apparently, to my surprise, it really is Tommo, the firm who bootlegged the Atari Flashback 2.

Edited by onmode-ky

• 1 month later...

http://www.cowboom.com/product/1312344

Bit of a bump, was poking around cowboom today (Best Buy's returns clearing house) and was surprised to find the Neo Geo X for $109 in case anyone is still on the fence (like I've been).

I totally agree with most of the criticisms with the unit. For $200 it seemed like a better idea to put that money towards a proper MVS or buy a multicart for my AES Single Slot PCB. Or hell, simply just stick with the PSP. So I ended up passing on the X back in November.

However the Neo Geo X still did interest me because it looked cool. Seemed like a nice portable system (and i'm a sucker for portable systems) and I liked the dock and the authentic arcade stick. At $109 it seems like it might be worth it just to mess around with it. If I don't like it i'm pretty sure i can get my money back on eBay.

For those unaware the condition of the cowboom stuff is usually pretty good. I got my original PS3 off there and I swear somebody opened the box, looked at it.. then took it back to best buy. More recently I got my Asus Transformer from there and it was likewise almost new (I think that was a grade "6" like the Neo Geo I just ordered).