IGNORED

Turning games from 2600 to 360 online

tripletopper

I described my mental invention to bot Atari and Sega. Both of them said if I can build it, and I'm giving them a percentage of sales, they will allow authorized Atari and Sega systems respectively using this technology. But they will not fund the $17,000 research needed to build a prototype. Intellivision Prductions said ater Dr. King day 2013, Keith, the head of Intellivision will discuss using Intellivision's classic gaming reputation to head a kickstarter project to raise the money to fund the building of the prototype.

The basic idea is running an old ROM not intended to run online, and make them run online without programming individual online code for individual games. This can work with ANY 2600 game, not just Atari Games, but third party games too. And because this is not individually done at the game, it might respark inerest in third party games. The only requirement is that each parson has a separate joystick (which may cause a problem for the 2600 paddle games, but I can fix that) and can play multi-player local (sorry Alien Front Online and Outtrigger beyond 4 players or without splitscreen, at least for this solution) on one screen (sorry PS1 system link games)

I can offer one "premium" for the backers in Kickstarter fundraiser project, a vote on what system other than the Intellivision will be made first. The only ones I can guarantee are Atari and Sega systems. Nintendo said though they can't guarantee the approval of the concept, they won't review it until a prototype comes in. I don't know what Sony and Microsot think, and there are a few other system making independents like Bally(Astrocade) , Coleco (Colecovision), Magnavox(Odyssey 2 and CD-i), SNK (Neo Geo), Konami (the modern owners of the TG16) 3DO, Emerson (Arcadia 2001), Vectrex, RCA (Studio II), and Fairchild (Channel F). Nothing will get 50%+1 vote at first ballot. All Atari owner will probably pool their votes for the 2600, Sega would be a tougher one to call because Europe would be for the Master System, the US would be for Genesis, (possibly Dreamcast), and Japan would be for the Saturn. If Nintendo sent a different message, the NES wold be up there but how many people would vote or a system that might not be.

I cannot specifics discuss with the general public watt he secret is to getting this work because this cold be patentable. But if someone/pool of people made my paypal account $17,000 richer, I can afford to get the prototype made. The company who can make it is Davison, an idea realization company. They quoted me a price of $17000 at the most after discussing specifics, and all they want is 10%+research money. They said if it runs over, they'll fund the rest.

If those people at Atari and/or Sega are wiling to either use their name for a kickstarter project, or even fund it themselves, let them speak. Otherwise, hopefully by Dr. King Day 2013, Intellivision will put their name on a Kickstarter project and I'll link it here. Otherwise, I just wan to see the pre-Kickstarter-announcement buzz on this concept.

So, any game from the 2600 to Jaguar and from the SG-1000 to Dreamcast being turned online... what do you think of the concept?
Edited by tripletopper

The basic idea is running an old ROM not intended to run online, and make them run online without programming individual online code for individual games. This can work with ANY 2600 game, not just Atari Games, but third party games too.

With running any 2600 game online you mean something similar like this?

Can you explain what makes your plan different than running an emulator inside a webbrowser?

As for the paddles: Something like a Coleco Gemini Wye adapter, where the paddle inputs to either player 1A or 1B pin, depending whether you set yourself as 1A and your partner/opponent 1B or vice versa. It's a simple physical onnection. As for the emulation, not like the emulation like rdeeming suggests, it's head-to-head online play. The reason why traditional online gaming works it is built for a 100-200 ms ping time network. That's why you have to program a specific versio of the online game to make it live. This would bypass this and give a low ping conetion that an fit under the heartbeat of one joystick frame. As for the netplay emulators for the NES, there's one problem, input skating. You have to preplan your route and hope your opponent does the move you expect. The secret to my idea is a low-ping connection. I'm talking under 10 ms for 1000 km away. I know of a connection that exists that can do that, and it's plentiful and yet untapped for this purpose. My product will sell this connection, and this connection will make my invention. My theory is if you have a low ping connection, any local game can be played online. If the NES net player doesn't have skating (like Goldeneye N64) a server has to be programed to work with that game, which means it works for ONLY one game. If my theory works, with the work of one game being trned online pretty much every 2600 game will be turned into head-to-head online, even any 2 player Mystique,Apollo, Spectrevision, Tiger, US Games, and pretty much all obscure games, all without input skating.

How can some piece of hardware or software improve ping times?

It's a matter of physical laws in some cases, e.g. if you're playing against someone on the other side of the world even with a direct fibre connection you still have a round trip of about 1/14th of a second.

Fair enough, modern games take pings into account and can still work at high latencies.

Old games generally run at 50/60 FPS and having even a couple of frames worth of lag will destroy the playability for the "guest" player.

The other thing is that old games won't really work with 2 instances on different machines. The random events are often influenced by cycle-exact timing and/or the behaviour of each player at that point in time, and there's no facility for correction or catchup.

I wouldn't donate a single dime. You can't even be bothered to spell half of the crap in your posts properly, nor can you actually convey your intent. No thanks.

Maybe you can then donate to the Oton, the revolutionary Android game console that writes its own games. It has already raised a whopping $455 out of $1000000 in the past month.

Robert

• Like 1

Maybe you can then donate to the Oton, the revolutionary Android game console that writes its own games. It has already raised a whopping $455 out of $1000000 in the past month.

Robert

HAHAHAHAAHAH!!! Thank you for giving me the best laugh I have had in days!!! Branching out from just the video on their site I found a little piece on Kotaku about them, and BAM read the comments, and one of their "marketing geniuses" was all over the comments, and he cant spell either!!

HAHAHAHAAHAH!!! Thank you for giving me the best laugh I have had in days!!! Branching out from just the video on their site I found a little piece on Kotaku about them, and BAM read the comments, and one of their "marketing geniuses" was all over the comments, and he cant spell either!!

You're welcome ;) When reading this thread it somehow reminded me about the Oton.

Yes, I've read his comments too. He only says how incredible the machine/software is but he is not providing anything substantial that backs up the incredible claim of automatically generating games. They have nice renderings of the console but no single screen-shot of a generated game? And the screen-shots of the game creation process looks like something typed-in in notepad (note the reference to angry birds). So I really doubt that their game generation software is anything more than an idea and a few text lines in notepad. But we will probably never find out if what they claim is true since they will never raise the money. If the software is real they should sell it for PC or Android without their console.

Now, back on topic.

The secret to my idea is a low-ping connection. I'm talking under 10 ms for 1000 km away. I know of a connection that exists that can do that, and it's plentiful and yet untapped for this purpose. My product will sell this connection, and this connection will make my invention. My theory is if you have a low ping connection, any local game can be played online.

Your proposal is really confusing to me. You want to sell "low ping time" internet connections thus competing with current internet providers that have spent millions/billions on their infrastructure? Or do you have a solution that works on your regular internet connection.

Robert

Whatever happened to M.A.G.E. anyway? That was the first (and last) VCS emulator which boasted network competition. I could never get the damn thing to work. A missing .dll stood in the way (where, I assume, the "magic" was kept).

As far as completely computer-generated games is concerned...it ain't gonna happen. Besides the obvious problems associated with an infinite number of monkeys banging out code (i.e. the poo getting in the way for most of the time)...a big obstacle is that computers have no clue what makes a good game. Who wants to weed though an infinite amount of poo-covered shovelware crap in hopes of discovering even ONE that is worth the effort?

• Like 3