IGNORED

The secret origin of SPINA THE BEE revealed 30 years later

Rev

Ever wonder where the idea for Spina the Bee came from? I think I have discovered it.

Check out my investigation here:

http://intellivisionrevolution.com/entries/intellivision-history/intellivision-s-spina-the-bee-origin-possibly-discovered

Hey! I remember "La Abeja Maya" in Spanish, when I was a kid! Thanks for the memory. :)

It´s just a bee. I can´t see anything related to Maja (Maya).

Happy holidays anyone. :-)

Well, the Blue Sky Rangers description says that it is based on a popular European cartoon. Do you know any other popular European cartoon depicting a bee?

-dZ.

In my article i put 'possibly' because it really is cirmumstantial evidence.

But remember mike, there is no other bee character i could find. Spina searches bring up NOTHING. There is no or ever was anything called spina except the intv game.

Also what about the biene maja atari 8 bit computer game with almost identical gameplay and graphic style. Of course it looks a little better, but it looks to be basicly the same game. You can not easily dismiss it so easily can you?

But there is no cartoon named Spina. Why should they rename Spina to ZZZZZZZZZ when it doesn´t exist? And it doesn´t looks like Maja. Maybe it was a misunderstanding by the Blue Sky Rangers Intellipedia.

Code names is video gamesvery normal.

I think gamecube was codenamed dolphin.

Maybe zzzzzzz and spina was a code name until they aquired the license.

• 8 years later...

Sorry to dig up such an old topic, but while doing my research on Spina the Bee, I came across this interview with French programmer Patrick Aubry, co-founder of Nice Ideas:

http://www.gamotek.fr/collectionneurs/patrick-aubry/

He confirms that Spina the Bee, programmed by Monique Simonot, was inspired by Maya l'Abeille, very popular in France at the time.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, blidu said:

Sorry to dig up such an old topic, but while doing my research on Spina the Bee, I came across this interview with French programmer Patrick Aubry, co-founder of Nice Ideas:

http://www.gamotek.fr/collectionneurs/patrick-aubry/

He confirms that Spina the Bee, programmed by Monique Simonot, was inspired by Maya l'Abeille, very popular in France at the time.

Well, that settles it.  I'm not surprised, that was my assumption as well.  Maya l'Abeille may not have been well known in the USA, but at least in Latin America, we knew her as "La Abeja Maya" ("Maya The Bee").

Thanks for posting it.

-dZ.

• Like 2