IGNORED

Lynx Centipede Now Available at Video 61

Atari 7800.com

Lance Ringquest of VIDEO61 has just informed me that Centipede is now available for purchase for the Lynx. The game came from a hard drive on a TT30 which came out of the Lombard warehouse in the 1990s and is quite playable however Lance is selling it as a demonstration card only. Lance asked me to announce that he is selling these for 49.95 on his site www.atarisales.com and comes with beautiful artwork and packaging. Atari 7800.com does not currently carry this product so please contact Lance for ordering information at 651.462.2500.

Best,

Hold the phone. Before I am prepared to shell out $50(!!!!!) what is meant by a demonstration card? How "playable" is the game? Does it have all the bells and whistles of the arcade game. Can I play a demo of the game? I need more before info before I pay for a game that is more expensive than CURRENT console games.

Hold the phone. Before I am prepared to shell out $50(!!!!!) what is meant by a demonstration card? How "playable" is the game? Does it have all the bells and whistles of the arcade game. Can I play a demo of the game? I need more before info before I pay for a game that is more expensive than CURRENT console games.

I think your concerns are valid, but this is still a great day for Lynx fans. I've been waiting for YEARS for this!

Besides, don't you think that

beautiful artwork and packaging
is worth $49.95? :)

Hold the phone.  Before I am prepared to shell out $50(!!!!!) what is meant by a demonstration card?  How "playable" is the game? Does it have all the bells and whistles of the arcade game.  Can I play a demo of the game?  I need more before info before I pay for a game that is more expensive than CURRENT console games.

I have a feeling they are wording it this way in hopes of preventing any type of legal troubles. Sounds to me that it's a fully playable version of the game..

..Al

Justin do you have a copy, can you tell us of any bugs/issues with the game, how playable it is, write it up like a review of the game so that people can know more about it and make it easier for people to decide on whether or not to purchase it, it also helps Lance out so that he's not fielding dozens of emails and phone calls asking the same questions over and over.

Curt

Hold the phone.  Before I am prepared to shell out $50(!!!!!) what is meant by a demonstration card?  How "playable" is the game? Does it have all the bells and whistles of the arcade game.  Can I play a demo of the game?  I need more before info before I pay for a game that is more expensive than CURRENT console games.

I have a feeling they are wording it this way in hopes of preventing any type of legal troubles. Sounds to me that it's a fully playable version of the game..

..Al

THIS IS TRUE!

I talk to justin this morning and i got to play my very own copy of centipede and i know 2 things..

1.) Justin had to say what he said because thats what lance at viedo 61 told him to say word for word so that people dont whine and bitch about the game not being complete he says cause lance dont really know how complete it is but you can play it for a few hours and no problems

2.) i know it is a good game! I play it all yesterday!

SOME THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT CENTIPETE

-- The version of the games i got are from video 61.

-- The games comes on an eprom card which is nice and thinck.

-- Centipede feels like regular centipede and the controls are good.

-- Centipede plays LONG ways like gauntlet so you hold it on its side

-- The screen starts out with a blue background not with a black one

-- There is NO SOUND

-- The spider dont go out of the same box that your man moves in. on the arcade it can go on the whole play field but not on the lynx only in the same box as the gunner. this makes it harder and raises the skill level so only real atarians can do well in the game.

-- The gaem has WONDERFUL packaging. The best you can ask for.

-- the game is well done and you can save your score.

Thats all for now. -Joe

Some questions not answered:

1. Are there fleas and scorpions like in the arcade?

2. Is there a difficulty curve?

3. Are there a difference in the length of the centipedes, the number on screen etc.?

I am not convinced this is worth my money. No sound is pretty damning and it it seems like the game was just burned on without any attempt at additional programing. For $50, I want something more than what is in front of me. Pretty packaging is only a small part of the overall product. How much is it for the ROM and MAME.....

Some questions not answered:

1.  Are there fleas and scorpions like in the arcade?

2.   Is there a difficulty curve?

3.  Are there a  difference in the length of the centipedes, the number on screen etc.?

I am not convinced this is worth my money.  No sound is pretty damning and it it seems like the game was just burned on without any attempt at additional programing. For $50, I want something more than what is in front of me.  Pretty packaging is only a small part of the overall product. How much is it for the ROM and MAME.....

Listen you come at me like i am selling games i am not selling lynx games i only play them and talk about them on tv. i dont got time to do all this in one day so i dont know what it got more than what i already said. if you got questions you should call the people who sell them at video 61 i hear lance is a slick guy and 50 dollars is chump change for something like this so stop whining and bitching at me cause i am not selling them i just play them and say what i think about them no one ever said it was MY responsibility to do these things i just share what i know. i wont take you talking sh*t about my friends neither. You say "oh it sounds like there was no additional programming" well no crap. What do YOU have to offer? I dont see you coming to the table with new software for the lynx. You think you should get everything for free and it should be perfect huh? look i dont sell atari i just put them in the boxes and also play them sometimes so you dont come at me like that again, understand? if you want to know more about the game then you will wait and see what they put on the video 61 site and on the atari 7800.com site cause they are doing the reviews and i am going to help.

Joe

AINT GOT TIME FOR NO JIBBA JABBA, FOO!

Atari Joe, why don't you sit down and shut up yourself?

I think bergbros raises valid points. Unless you're a collector or a huge Centipede fan, $50 is certainly not "chump change." Personally, I doubt that I would ever pay that much for an incomplete game, but then again I'm not trying to own every Lynx game, either.

I hate to be considered an instigator or something, but I think this delusional moron (Atari Joe) crossed the line first.

Atari Joe, why don't you sit down and shut up yourself?

I think bergbros raises valid points. Unless you're a collector or a huge Centipede fan, $50 is certainly not "chump change." Personally, I doubt that I would ever pay that much for an incomplete game, but then again I'm not trying to own every Lynx game, either.

I hate to be considered an instigator or something, but I think this delusional moron (Atari Joe) crossed the line first.

Well, your an instigator. You dont know joe very well.. hes a really nice guy that means well. He isnt trying to sell you the game or anytihng, he just told you what he thinks of it. If i told you about a car that i saw would I be selling it? And dont call people you hardly know names, i didnt call you anything bad did i? exactly. Now, can we get this back on topic and talk about the game?

EDIT: I would pay 50 if it was good and playable :D

It's true that I don't know Atari Joe, and it's also possibly true that he's a very nice guy who means well, but he sure as h*ll doesn't sound like it.

Anyway, back to the game, I might pay $50 for the game if it were good and playable, but I've never been a big Centipede fan. I would love to support Video 61 for making it available on a card, but $50 is a lot for some of us to put out for what is essentially an incomplete game. Maybe if/when Eye of the Beholder is available?... hmm, that might be a different story (although it'll certainly be more expensive than $50).

(David takes a stab at diplomacy)

Joe: I'm grateful that you brought this release to my attention. There is no active users' group in Canada, and I can't run down to my local store anymore to get news of all the latest releases in "Analog" or "Antic" anymore. In the absence of any dedicated news-release forum for Atari products, this is it. At least everyone knows now that "Centipede" is available for the Lynx, whether they want if for themselves or not.

Bergbros and Cryptik: I appreciate your comments and agree largely with what you have to say. Period.

Your dissent indicates that we have many other places to spend our Lynx- devoted dollars (e.g. Songbird), and that we actually have (after many stale years) actual choices to make. This is good, yes? ;)

davidcalgary29: Yes, it's always good to have choices. :)

I don't have many Lynx-devoted dollars, but being on the forum has made me excited about collecting for the little handheld again. :D In fact, in the past half a month or so since I joined, I've bought 5 additional games off of E-bay, bringing my Lynx card collection to a (relatively modest) 36.

AtariJoe you present yourself as some expert or someone in the know or someone with inside information, so you have to have at least SOME responsibility for what you write. You post all of these breathless commentary saying this game rocks yet your review is so partial and leaves out a lot of information. You indeed sound like you are selling this game or at least promoting it on behalf of your friends so that your opinion comes off less than impartial. The mere comment that you actually think I am slamming your friend who happens to sell this game is damning. This is a grave disservice to the Lynx community who cannot get a demo of this game to make a decision whether or not to shell out a serious chunk of change for it. Your comment about what I am producing in the Lynx community is arrogant, condescending and more importantly, irrelevant to the very valid questions asked- that is, how complete is the game and is it worth my money.

AtariJoe, your only valid comment is that you ask questions of the vendor. I strongly reccomend that and to find everything you can about the game before making the decision. Do not be rushed by the hype or the hard sell of "only limited supplies" before making your decision.