IGNORED

Incognito Production Installation

Stephen

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Finally installed my Incognito today.

Apart from the ribbon cable installed wrong way on the chip adapter,install went ok.

Had to install updated file on page 2 of this thread to get carts working.

Now have a problem.

XL/XE standard and Highspeed won't boot up at all (screen stays black) . Only Diag carts like Star raiders work.

Q-Meg os works but sparta dos doesn't. Can boot up different dos and use it including using Ramdisk.

Cannot get my external spartados to work in any xl/xe os.

Coleen modes appears to work fine including sparta dos, external sparta dos cart works as well.

What could be wrong?

James

• 2 months later...

Hey, before I start, Sup8pdct, did you ever get your setup working?

Just wanted to say the Incogneto 800 I have has worked great game playwise. Never could nick the overheating when serial was in play, but I do less BBSing on the Atari 8 bit now anyway. Just a great way to play all the Atari games on the beloved beige 800. :D

No.

Daughter decided to shove in 2 cartridges while it was going despite me saying "DON'T TOUCH IT" while i was setting up CF card. This totally stuffed it.

So the problems with XL side of incognito now pales into insignificance.

Board is currently on way to/at Candle for repair.

James

Edited by sup8pdct
  • Sad 1

Oh wow. I hope the card is repairable (because they really are nice when they work) and ... what two cartridges?

If she tried to shove in Star Raiders in the left slot and The Last Starfighter in the right slot for photons AND Lasers, I can totally respect that. :D j/k

• 5 years later...

Need a little helping loading ATR files with Incogneto.  

A fun little necrobump this morning.   Just as it happened in 2013, here in 2021 Dallas is locked down in snow and ice for a few days.   Even though we are working from home during Covid-19... we STILL got a snow day!  :D

So I used this day, like in 2013, to make updates to my Incogneto machine.   This was also partly inspired by the Atari 8-bit High Score Club and needing to load games.

902969128_20210216_1155372.jpg.d730f764cedf1d8a2e3483093aa96978.jpg

Thanks to MoparStephen, SteveS, The_Doctor, and others on the "##Atari" IRC chat on Freenode.net, I was pointed to FlashJazzcat's website on updating the Incogneto.   And the video on that site was very helpful.   Have to say, like the new look...

20210217_021016.jpg.34807229efbce7d64437e82d77296ba7.jpg

So the question on loading ATR images/files.   In the video in Flashjazzcat's site in the Side loader there are com,xex, and atr files listed and a ATR file is even loaded.   In my menu the ATR files are not showing up:

20210217_021035.jpg.e70457349b9a924589bb8a0d07619ab0.jpg

in this directory there was a "ROH.ATR" file, but again, not showing up.  What needs to be enabled or happen to let the ATR files work?   My Incogneto is the white board variant I bought from Candle in 2012.

20210216_122548.thumb.jpg.bde89da84e6eeafc45df1ec564adf431.jpg

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Enable the PBI BIOS and Hard Disk settings in the main BIOS page, then go to the Loader and ATRs should be visible. 

That did wonders DrVenkman! 

20210217_080522.jpg.03fac73285c295fe5250906145a5adc1.jpg20210217_080539.jpg.6a42c5cc33b74c3e510a0017431c594e.jpg

It's a dream come true.  :D   Was hoping the Incogneto, back when I pre-ordered, would one day get the additional feature (that was not yet a thing then) of running ATR files.  

Also like how easy it is to change the time.   Never thought a clock on the Atari 8-bit was all that important, but since it's here it's nice...

20210217_080342.jpg.b62bafb4b3632fa2f4ce14fbaf247ccf.jpg

Take this for a spin and see if all the bios changes improved the SIO performance and the random gibberish I used to experience after the 800 warmed up.

• Like 1

One last thing.   Installed the new bios, it worked.   Did somethings to improve the look of the computer, then Incogneto didn't fully work, but then I push in the chip next to the ribbon cable on the main 800 motherboard and it worked again.

So did some final touches and, bear in mind this 800 was made from various 800 parts to begin with to test the Incogneto before installing in my regular 800 at the time.  So continuing the parts theme, and since I like the look and feel of the 400 keyboard (as the 400 was my first Atari 8-bit), I completed the install of the 400 keyboard.

As I told someone, the 400 keyboard is not great for a lot of typing, but perfect for not catching crumbs and food, and for the occasional key press.

This has been a fun snow project in what has turned out to be a hellacious winter week for Texas.

20210218_223116.thumb.jpg.d1efb15282ba3907041de8f47fa0b08f.jpg

20 minutes ago, StickJock said:

I never realized just how much smaller the 400's keyboard was, but this pic really shows the difference!

Yeh the 400 is a wonderful compact machine.   I like how the color scheme of the 400 and 800 match so well.   So wonderful... late 70s.  :)

• 5 months later...

Well here goes nothing:

I successfully got the Incognito to boot and all seems to work fine.  I couldn’t get it to read the CF card.  All else seemed good.

And then the Atari went into what appears to be a continuous boot cycle to the BIOS screen.  See video.

I returned the system to stock and it works like a champ.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/h73rprjt1HFRoaHbA

Edited by rchennau

17 hours ago, rchennau said:

Well here goes nothing:

I successfully got the Incognito to boot and all seems to work fine.  I couldn’t get it to read the CF card.  All else seemed good.

And then the Atari went into what appears to be a continuous boot cycle to the BIOS screen.  See video.

I returned the system to stock and it works like a champ.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/h73rprjt1HFRoaHbA

The reboot cycle was traced to a weak/bad connection between wire and pin 1,2 or 6.  I reseated all and problem resolved.  I am still encountering error 139.

12 hours ago, rchennau said:

I am still encountering error 139.

Have you actually put any APT partitions on the card? Logical drives will not magically appear when you put a FAT formatted CF card into the slot.

https://atari8.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/APT-Software-Manual-8th-Edition.pdf

15 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

did you use a pc to format the cf card, did you use fjc fdisk and apt tools to set the card up?

Did you use a pc format the cf card : Yes

Did you use fjc fdisk : error 139 NAK

Did you use apt tools : error 139 NAK

11 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Have you actually put any APT partitions on the card? Logical drives will not magically appear when you put a FAT formatted CF card into the slot.

https://atari8.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/APT-Software-Manual-8th-Edition.pdf

Understood.  I get 139 Device NAK when attempting to use the apt-tools.   I'm certain that something is blocking the software from detecting the InCognito PHI for HDD and I can't flash either as it give me 139 Device NAK.  Are there further diagnosing tips?

4 minutes ago, rchennau said:

Understood.  I get 139 Device NAK when attempting to use the apt-tools

So how are you trying to access the tools? Do you have a copy of the ATR on the FAT partition of your CF card, mounting it in the Incognito Loader, and then running the tools from SDX? Alternately, do you have the 800 connected via an SIO2PC-USB serial device to your modern device running RespeQt, APE, etc. with the tools ATR mounted in one of the virtual ? slots? 

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

So how are you trying to access the tools? Do you have a copy of the ATR on the FAT partition of your CF card, mounting it in the Incognito Loader, and then running the tools from SDX? Alternately, do you have the 800 connected via an SIO2PC-USB serial device to your modern device running RespeQt, APE, etc. with the tools ATR mounted in one of the virtual ? slots? 

Mounting via FujiNet SD card.  I have an old SIO2PC-USB I purchased a long time ago but I am Apple person now and haven’t tried it with RespeQt.

The FujiNet is latest firmware and HW 1.3.   I don’t have issue with loading off of FujiNet for SD or over internet (TNFS).   

B0F66D6A-82BB-49FA-A31A-EF382747F672.jpeg

6C4EB793-94AF-43B1-B67A-F2E9969AE621.jpeg

23B72D9A-2C07-4140-A13C-E86F992D9F16.jpeg

Edited by rchennau