IGNORED

Jaguar 64 TV Connection

F4LL3N

Hi all,

Can't believe I haven't signed up to this forum earlier as I am a big Atari fan ! But I have a bit of a dilemma regarding my Jaguar 64 machine.

I have the RGB SCART lead (the ribbon cable type) and this works perfectly when connected directly to my TV (Panasonic Viera LCD). The problem is I have quite a few consoles that I like to leave connected. If I plug the Jaguar into either my small 3 SCART switch or VCR it starts to flicker every so often (My PS2 using the same setup works fine). Also, if I try extending the Jaguar lead with a coupler and another SCART lead I get the same issue. If I extend the switch with the coupler and SCART lead and plug the Jaguar into the switch I get flicker AND no sound.

The thing is I'd quite like to run the Jaguar through a switch but may still need to extend the lead (either coming from the Jaguar or the switch). Does anyone have any ideas or what might work?

Many thanks in advance :).

F4LL3N

Edited by F4LL3N

When you connect it through your VCR is it coaxil(RF) input/signal or composite video or maybe S-video input/signal? I think you PAL/SCART region people connect every signal through the SCART? Right? Instead seperate plugs for RF/video/S-video/RGB/VGA/etc. like us NTSC people do.

if it's an S-VHS recorder. My Jaguar started flickering a few years back when I had it connect via S-video (NTSC), and then it stopped working entirely, but instead of bothering to fix it though, I just made myself and RGB cable (with seperate audio RCA leads) and have used that ever since without a problem.

I don't know if the S-video flickering was only that, or if it may have included RCA composite video and RF too, I didn't have the cables to check.

But it confused me at the time, becuase I had repaired a short in my S-video and at first I thought that problem had cropped up again, until I ended up rebuilding the entire S-video cable and it still didn't work, that's when I finally realized it was the Jaguar, not the cable.

But now I still use a RGB cable, but I send it through an RGB-to-VGA converter&scan doubler and send the resulting VGA to my LCD or CRT VGA monitors, or my LCD projector.

Edited by Gunstar

When you connect it through your VCR is it coaxil(RF) input/signal or composite video or maybe S-video input/signal? I think you PAL/SCART region people connect every signal through the SCART? Right? Instead seperate plugs for RF/video/S-video/RGB/VGA/etc. like us NTSC people do.

if it's an S-VHS recorder. My Jaguar started flickering a few years back when I had it connect via S-video (NTSC), and then it stopped working entirely, but instead of bothering to fix it though, I just made myself and RGB cable (with seperate audio RCA leads) and have used that ever since without a problem.

I don't know if the S-video flickering was only that, or if it may have included RCA composite video and RF too, I didn't have the cables to check.

But it confused me at the time, becuase I had repaired a short in my S-video and at first I thought that problem had cropped up again, until I ended up rebuilding the entire S-video cable and it still didn't work, that's when I finally realized it was the Jaguar, not the cable.

But now I still use a RGB cable, but I send it through an RGB-to-VGA converter&scan doubler and send the resulting VGA to my LCD or CRT VGA monitors, or my LCD projector.

Interesting. When going throught he VCR I am still using the Jaguar RGB Scart lead (so not the RF, that is currently in use by the Atari 2600 into the VCR). However, I have no idea what the video player supports as I was kinda handed it for free (but my PS2 works fine through the VCR and through my SCART switch). I am guessing there is a chance that by extending through the coupler, the connected SCART lead might not support RGB, and in addition perhaps the switch too? To have seperate phono cables (i.e. yellow, red and white like I am guessing you made) would make my life easier providing it worked! I am a bit worried about running it through any switch now although being able to would be a bonus.

I only have 2 SCART sockets on the TV and as the VCR, PS2 and Jaguar are all SCART (plus some additional SCART devices to come) it would be easier to run the Jaguar through a decent SCART switch (even if it means getting rid of my basic one) with everything else.

Does this make any sense? I will try to clarify anything if it doesnt ! Many thanks for replying :)

Some components handle the Jaguar sync differently. Most Scart rgb components handle sync as one line usually composite Sync. The Jaguar provides Horizontal and Vertical sync separately so depending on the RGB cable the equipment its feed into it can cause issues. At least from my experience.

I have all my equipment feed through a GBS-8200 with Sync stripper and Scan Line generator hooked up to a HDTV. Everything goes through standard RGB with Composite Sync and out upscale with scan lines. However the Jaguar is the only system I had to hard wire to Horizontal and Vertical sync independently to provide a correct image.

The Jaguar provides Horizontal and Vertical sync separately so depending on the RGB cable the equipment its feed into it can cause issues.
It's a bit more complicated than that.

First, despite what the video connector pinout says, the Jaguar doesn't output a vertical sync signal ; the "vertical sync" pin is actually a composite sync output (in fact, it can be configured in software to output a true vertical sync signal instead, but it causes side effects so it's never used in Jaguar games).

On the official RGB SCART cable, the composite video/composite sync pin (#20 on the SCART plug) is connected to the Jaguar's composite video signal, so it shouldn't cause problems.

The fast blanking pin (#16 on the SCART plug) is connected to the Jaguar's horizontal sync signal, which is non-standard and can cause compatibility problems. There are different ways to fix that : if your TV/monitor allows you to select RGB mode manually, you can disconnect the pin and leave it unconnected. Itherwise, you can cut the wire going to the slow blanking pin (#8 on the SCART connector), and wire it to the fast blanking pin with a 150 ohm series resistor. Note that since the slow blanking pin is now unconnected, your TV/monitor will no longer automatically switch to the AV input when you turn on the Jaguar.

Otherwise, standard switches and extension cables should work fine ; if they don't, they're probably not wired to support RGB (some cheap models aren't).

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 3

It's a bit more complicated than that.

First, despite what the video connector pinout says, the Jaguar doesn't output a vertical sync signal ; the "vertical sync" pin is actually a composite sync output (in fact, it can be configured in software to output a true vertical sync signal instead, but it causes side effects so it's never used in Jaguar games).

On the official RGB SCART cable, the composite video/composite sync pin (#20 on the SCART plug) is connected to the Jaguar's composite video signal, so it shouldn't cause problems.

The fast blanking pin (#16 on the SCART plug) is connected to the Jaguar's horizontal sync signal, which is non-standard and can cause compatibility problems. There are different ways to fix that : if your TV/monitor allows you to select RGB mode manually, you can disconnect the pin and leave it unconnected. Itherwise, you can cut the wire going to the slow blanking pin (#8 on the SCART connector), and wire it to the fast blanking pin with a 150 ohm series resistor. Note that since the slow blanking pin is now unconnected, your TV/monitor will no longer automatically switch to the AV input when you turn on the Jaguar.

Otherwise, standard switches and extension cables should work fine ; if they don't, they're probably not wired to support RGB (some cheap models aren't).

That all makes sense. My TV automatically detects RGB on the Jaguar and so it works fine. So I need a switch that supports RGB (I believe the VCR may not support this but the TV does). However, what about in the following instance: Jaguar SCART -> Coupler -> SCART LEAD -> RGB on TV. I get a flicker on that too (I do have sound). The problem I have is I need to extend the Jaguar cable and I would have thought that this setup would have worked with no problems. I'd rather not go down the route of cutting or removing pins! I appreciate all these replies peeps :)

The problem I have is I need to extend the Jaguar cable and I would have thought that this setup would have worked with no problems.
It should. There's probably something wrong with your coupler or your SCART lead, like bad contacts (SCART connectors are notorious for this) or bad internal wiring (unfortunately, a lot of them are poorly designed and manufactured: cheap or missing wires, bad soldering...).

I'd suggest trying a different extension lead to remove the coupler, something like this:

scart.jpg

If you can't remove the coupler, make sure nothing else is plugged into it.

SCART couplers are a fundamentally bad idea anyways, since A/V stuff isn't designed to operate in this way - at best it works marginally, at worst it creates all sorts of problems. Those things only exist because they're cheaper to manufacture than proper SCART switches, and they sort-of work enough for people to buy them.

• Like 1

It should. There's probably something wrong with your coupler or your SCART lead, like bad contacts (SCART connectors are notorious for this) or bad internal wiring (unfortunately, a lot of them are poorly designed and manufactured: cheap or missing wires, bad soldering...).

I'd suggest trying a different extension lead to remove the coupler, something like this:

scart.jpg

If you can't remove the coupler, make sure nothing else is plugged into it.

SCART couplers are a fundamentally bad idea anyways, since A/V stuff isn't designed to operate in this way - at best it works marginally, at worst it creates all sorts of problems. Those things only exist because they're cheaper to manufacture than proper SCART switches, and they sort-of work enough for people to buy them.

I bought the coupler for about £9 from maplins as they didn't sell SCART extensions so it wasnt a cheap thing but i understand where you are coming from). Could you recommend a decent extension lead and a link? I can always try that. Won't help with the switch until I get a new decent one (if anyone can recommend a really good switch with as many sockets as possible id be grateful for that too).

Sorry, I don't know electronics stores in the UK besides Maplin (that has already been mentioned) and Tandy (they don't seem to have video cables, or pretty much anything, according to their web site...)

Thats fair enough. Will have to do some research I think.

What is the Jaguar 64? Is that like a prototype sequel to the Atari Jaguar?

Nope its just the Jaguar, but I got used to calling it Jaguar 64 as in search engines I kept getting the car manufacturer!

And does anyone know about the image issue? Its playable, just slightly annoying!

Play have a Belkin one for £9, I actually have one on order. It can be had cheaper elsewhere but I had trouble finding it in stock and Play is one of those sites that's just too easy to buy things from ;-) I'll let you know how it works out.

Have you had any luck with this yet and do you get an issues running the Jaguar through SCART to your TV? :)

Thanks mate =)

No issues with that Belkin 3m extension cable. I would say on a screen such as the skunk green screen I could notice a tiny little interference pattern, but only very faintly. Once the games loaded up the picture was just as rock solid and sharp as usual with just the Atari scart lead.

No issues with that Belkin 3m extension cable. I would say on a screen such as the skunk green screen I could notice a tiny little interference pattern, but only very faintly. Once the games loaded up the picture was just as rock solid and sharp as usual with just the Atari scart lead.

Thanks mate just ordered the official jag composite cable so will give that a try with extending and possibly get the Belkin!

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested, I just wanted to let you all know that the official Jaguar cable is giving me no problems whatsoever and will happily extend with the SCART coupler and additional SCART lead. Looks like it was a dodgy lead.

Thanks for all that replied to this topic :) your comments have been very useful!

• 1 year later...

do you need to take off the cable that is connected to pin 16 or will attaching the resistor to the pin with wires already connected work fine???