IGNORED

Harmony, Supercharger, and 7800

buddyguy2

I don't have a Supercharger but I have two 7800.

An early model which plays starpath games in the harmony cart, Bouldedash and brazilian clones cartridges.

The new model can't play starpath games in the harmony cart, can't play Boulder Dashand some clone carts won't fit in its slot.

So Im almost sure your 7800 won't play starpath games even with harmony carts.

Harmony was designed to play Supercharger games even on problem consoles. I have two that will not work with a regular Supercharger but they play them through Harmony.

I do recognize that there are many 7800 revisions and maybe there are some consoles out there that behave even more poorly than mine. So the best I can say is they might work.

If not, you can mod your console by clipping a resistor or a capacitor. I forget which but it's not very hard.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sigh. Nope, the Harmony doesn't work on my 7800 with supercharger roms. Well, I'm buying a new 7800 with an S-Video mod... hopefully, the supercharger roms will work on that one. If not, I'll take my chances at opening it up and trying to mod it.

Still, the Harmony is pretty awesome. I live on South Beach, and all I did on a Friday night was play 30 year old Atari games. Thanks, Batari - you've destroyed my social life. :)

As I was looking for the mod instructions for getting supercharger games to work on my 7800, I ran across your post from 2009, Batari, where you say you got the supercharger games working through Harmony even on an evil version of the 7800. Is it just my luck that I've got an even more evil one...?

If you want to fix it so that it plays Supercharger games, but breaks one (1) 2600 game, I made you this picture.

post-29575-0-95310100-1358649406_thumb.jpg

By the way, I have the most evil 7800 that won't play some Homebrews! Its serial number X and was the last batch of 7800s produced. That had C64 and removing it allowed a real Supercharger to work, but it still won't play 7800 beef drop and 7800 scramble.

The one pictured above is my second 7800 which I made sure was older and not serial X, and it plays supercharger and Homebrews.

I need one of those X consoles. I wasn't aware that there was another problem console revision out there.

I should add that the mod only breaks the original cart of Dark Chambers. Harmony should still play the game even after the mod.

ah very good to know before i start drillin a hole for a switch.

Scott

I should add that the mod only breaks the original cart of Dark Chambers. Harmony should still play the game even after the mod.

Well, sometimes... Some 7800s will play everything after the mod. Also, 2600 Stargate/Defender 2 may hang at the title screen.

Mitch

Well, problem sorta solved. I wasn't satisfied with the picture quality of the 7800 I had, so I bought an S-Video modded one of E-Bay (yes, I know it's apparently not that hard to do the mod myself, but I have more money than time right now...), and the harmony cart works great with it, Supercharger games and all. So I guess it'll be a while before I mess around with the one that doesn't work with Harmony and Supercharger games. Thanks for the help/advice anyway, everyone....

• Like 1