IGNORED

Karin "Maxi Wishes"

Larry

I don't know if the developers have any interest in making changes/improvements in the Maxi, but thought I'd start a thread -- just in case there are some things that can be done without a great deal of work. And if not (it is what it is) then no problem.

1. My first wish would be that the Maxi be able to read two-sided disks as does the XF551 -- read/write all of one side then go to side 2. Reason -- I have several hundred 3-1/2" disks that are written in XF551 format. I suspect I'm not alone.

2. Wish #1 might be a really big deal -- maybe not -- I don't know. But maybe there is an intermediate step that might be much easier. Have a setting (or a permanent change in the eprom code) that allows the MAXI to simply ignore side 2. That seems like it should be easier to do. This would be especially useful for 5-1/4" disks. As it stands, it looks like if you have a double-sided drive, the Maxi is going to treat it as a double-sided drive. Reason -- most "modern" 5-1/4" drives are two-sided. Since there is no setting in the Karin dip-switches to select 1-sided or 2-sided, you can't use it with any of the disks you already have. So in this case, I would set the Karin to ignore my side 2/(b) of my 5-1/4" and go ahead as-is with the 3-1/2" as two-sided.

Now if there is a way "around" these issues with the current setup, please let me know.

Thanks,

Larry

Edit: A related item to #2 -- will the Karin recognize and work properly with a single-sided drive? Or is it "fixed" to work only with double-sided drives? (I may have a single-sided 180K drive in my "hope chest."

Trub TODO:

Polish ;p

- poprawic formatowanie 512BPS

- kompatybilnosc ze standardem formatowania dla 80 sciezek, rozpoznawanie 80 sciezek na dyskietce (przesuw glowicy)

- mozliwosc obslugi dyskietek dwustronnych zgodnie ze standardem Atari (najpierw jedna, potem druga strona, a nie na przemian)

- rozpoznawanie gestosci dyskietki przy poleceniu status

Edited by St(r)yker

Translated thanks to Google:

- Improve formatting 512BPS

- Compatibility with the standard format for the 80 paths, 80 paths recognition on a floppy disk (sliding head)

- The possibility of bilateral disk maintenance in accordance with the standard Atari (first one, then the other side, rather than alternating)

- Recognition density floppy disk with the command status

Allan

Translated thanks to Google:

- The possibility of bilateral disk maintenance in accordance with the standard Atari (first one, then the other side, rather than alternating)

Oh man ;)

"support for double sided disk that are up to atari standard (first one side then the other, not interleaved)"

Oh man ;)

"support for double sided disk that are up to atari standard (first one side then the other, not interleaved)"

I'm very wary of using Google Translator for that reason above that I may not "accurately" communicate my thoughts, or even worst insult someone. Google Translator is great for getting some understanding of what is being said, but for technical work it is a no go, for example "alternating" versus "interleaved". ;)

• 2 weeks later...