IGNORED

Have you seen the new Atari 2600 Hot Wheels cars?

lanatrzczka

I was grocery shopping, and noticed an Atari symbol on a display. I was like "what?"... and then I noticed Atari 2600 game boxes and I was like "WHAT?"... got a little closer and saw that it was an Atari 2600-themed Hot Wheels display. True, it's actually an 2600/arcade mash-up, but one of the cars is actually done up to look like a 2600 woodgrain console.

Apparently there are 6 versions; my store only had four, so I got those. I'll upload some pics.

post-24531-0-84797400-1356831200_thumb.jpg

post-24531-0-24205900-1356831204_thumb.jpg

post-24531-0-84385200-1356831205_thumb.jpg

post-24531-0-28594800-1356831208_thumb.jpg

post-24531-0-40069100-1356831210_thumb.jpg

Cool find! Honestly, I don't find a particular connection between the car models they chose, vs. the games they painted to them ... EXCEPT for the 2600 wood grain motor home. That one is actually very cool, and I may see if I can pick it up. Would have been much cooler if they'd, for instance, used a car that actually looks like a centipede for the game Centipede, rather than some random model that's probably been recycled with 5 other paint jobs over the last 10 years.

Cool find! Honestly, I don't find a particular connection between the car models they chose, vs. the games they painted to them ...

Agreed. And it would have been awesome if they got the box colors right as well... Breakout yellow, Missle Command orange.. oh well. I did take a few minutes to make some comparisons though. The blue Hot Wheels Missile Command is pretty close in color to Video Pinball (but not Defender), the brown Hot Wheels Breakout is almost dead-on in color with Asteroids, the purple Hotwheels Tempest is nearly a match with Video Chess, and the yellow/orange of Hot Wheels Pong is Yar's Revenge.

I very well might be reading too much into it, but it does seem like someone somewhere had a list of "Atari colors" to choose from.

Edited by lanatrzczka

I decided that, of the 6 cars, I am interested in getting the PONG and 2600 cars. Will probably open them and display them at work. I know some of you might think it sacrilege to say something so crass. :P The 2600 GMC camper is about the right timeframe. The PONG doesn't look too far off, either. The others, just meh.

I'm out of town visiting family this week. I stopped at a Walmart and a ToysRUs, neither of them hinted of having any special cars. :( As we go through the week, I'll look other places, and hopefully get lucky.

What's the deal with these? I've looked in TRU, Target, Wal-mart & K-mart, haven't found the first one yet, and then I see here from the grocery store?! Doesn't make sense! These should be in TOY STORES! Oh well I have seen them on ebay, I will probably buy them if I ever see them out somewhere. But I usually don't pay hotwheels prices at the grocery store. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Mildly surprised when I saw the kiosk at my local ShopRite:

post-14498-0-32687200-1359904671_thumb.jpg

I was so shocked to hear these were out. Sure I picked up one of each, but then thanks to my boy Jboypacman....I even got to take home the display. This display is so cool.. I saw another guy put boxed carts in it, but I just put my overflow of loose carts them...holds two tight side by side and about 10 or 12 tall...two rows deep..pretty nice add to the ol atari collection!

I was so shocked to hear these were out. Sure I picked up one of each, but then thanks to my boy Jboypacman....I even got to take home the display. This display is so cool.. I saw another guy put boxed carts in it, but I just put my overflow of loose carts them...holds two tight side by side and about 10 or 12 tall...two rows deep..pretty nice add to the ol atari collection!

AWWWW thats awesome could you post a pic of your display i sure would like to see it!

Haven't seen these here in Canada at all. Granted, I'm not really looking but I've checked out the toy sections in Walmart and a couple other stores when I'm in them.

I checked Zellers (well, the one remaining store :() and Toys-R-Us. I have not seen them in any grocery store either.