IGNORED

Is there a collection of distella (or other) disassemblies of 2600 games?

solidcorp

Is anyone aware of a collection of Distella (or other) disassemblies of 2600 games?

Or, maybe even better... is there a collection of Distella config.txt files for games? If so are there config.txt files for split games larger than 4k? I see some out there, Nukey Shay's posts on GameSpot for example, but no official collection.

If not, does anyone have any interest or ideas about starting one?

Thanks for the links guys!

Besides my disassembled code I have created quite a lot of Distella cfg files in various stages of completeness.

I noticed that a lot of the disassembled & documented source files I found were done by you, Nukey, Dennis, and Manuel. Thanks for doing them and sharing the results. I'd be interested in any cfg that you or anyone else is willing to share. I'm fond of the raw undocumented disassemblies.

Maybe there is a place on Atari Age that the the cfg files should live - just like manuals and box art - it's not like posting the source or ROM images of the games themselves.

• Like 1

Here are some (mostly rough) disassemblies that I have done. I believe the configure file(s) are listed at the top of each disassembly.

Some of the disassemblies have switches to compile between different versions (PAL, NTSC, pirates, some of my hacks), and switches to go between the original version and a joystick conversion (sega genesis, kids controller to atari joystick, etc...). In short it's a mixed bag, and some of the comments may be completely wrong. I started these when I knew very little about programming. Most of these disassemblies have minimal labeling as I was just using them to compare to other versions of the rom. However, some of these disassemblies have indirect pointers labeled, which is always nice to have. :)

Disassemblies.zip

Thanks Omegamatrix!

As far as GFX vs DATA is concerned, it's no matter, what is of most importance to me are the CODE sections, especially in 8K or more multibank cartridges.

If anyone else comes upon this thread and has cfg files they would like to share, I would appreciate them.

• 2 months later...

I don't normally announce features in advance, but this time I will. Just a heads-up that the next version of Stella (3.9) will hopefully include generating a disassembly from the debugger itself. Most of the pieces are actually already there. It does a static analysis based on (internal) Distella, and a comprehensive runtime analysis. AFAIK, the runtime analysis (while incomplete) is 100% accurate, since it tracks writes to specific parts of the emulation. Like if something is ever stored in the program counter, it must be code, or in a TIA register, then it must be graphics, etc.

Also, the current code generates Distella config files, and it can disassemble all banks in the ROM. So at that point all the pieces are done, and I may as well just output the results to a file. This will enable disassembly of multi-bank ROMs, which is something Distella can't do without user intervention. AFAIK, this would be a first for any 2600 emulator; to disassemble multi-bank ROMs augmented with runtime analysis.

Hopefully all will go as planned ...

• Like 2

I would love to see a text file where someone who understands this stuff comments the code to explain how interesting routines (and hacks) are done in disassembled famous games.

This would be an extremely valuable resource for programmers to learn from.