IGNORED

What was the first computer magazine you read?

dudeslife

Oh I did buy UKs C&VG regular from the Station's magazine shop, that was like a 'god' video game magazine and dead expensive due to taxes imposed onto exports by the British king. Later the magazine was banned in Germany (I didn't care I was out of there)

And there I was thinking the "Carmel Andrews Effect" was a uniquely British thing.

It was Creative Computing or BYTE, back in Jr. High School (now called "Middle School" because the "Jr." was later deemed pejorative, although it never did any harm the first XX number of years in use), in the library magazine rack. I've been hooked ever since.

As an oddball with an Atari 400, Atari coverage was very spartan in BYTE, but the old "Outpost: Atari" regular column in Creative Computing by the late John J. Anderson was my introduction to regular Atari Computer coverage, and it was excellent. He was an excellent computer writer. The column was later taken over by Arthur Leyenberger. Art was good as well - and went on to author much Atari coverage in ANALOG and ST-LOG - but JJ Anderson was top-notch at his craft.

Shortly thereafter, I was thrilled to learn of Antic magazine, and later ANALOG magazine - both Atari-specific; I was surprised to learn of their existence - and TWO mags, at that!. After that, COMPUTE! with the excellent "Insight: Atari" regular column by the excellent Bill Wilkinson. Compute! maintained a fair level of Atari articles too, although they seemed quite in favor of the Commodore computers. With the popularity of the Commodore machines, it did make sense, however. Even in the face of dedicated Antic and ANALOG, "Outpost: Atari" and "Insight: Atari" remained excellent.

BYTE was an excellent magazine as well - and I enjoy the scans thoroughly today - but they almost seemed anti-Atari in their sparse coverage and general tone, concerning the Atari computers, with the exception being SOME great coverage, like the Chris Crawford series of articles, early-on. They really dropped off the coverage a lot, soon after.

Aaaah, memories. Great thread!

It was probably PC World. It was certainly the first one we had on order at the village shop. I think it was in 1981, even before I had a computer. I'd drool over the ads for the Atari 800.

First one I subscribed to was Atari User in 1986.

There was a time when I'd buy every magazine I saw. C+VG was a favourite. I don't like today's mags. They tend to contain nothing but unentertaining highbrow waffle. Retro Gamer is written in a more old school style that made C+VG such an easy read.

Edited by Tickled_Pink

I was going to a "Middle School" in 1990, I think it's just a matter of what certain locations prefer rather than a matter of political correctness as "junior high" and "middle" were both used. Generally, if it was 7-8-9 it was called "junior high" and if it was 6-7-8 (or as mine was, 5-6-7-8) it was called "middle".

Edited by The Usotsuki

Mine was Antic. Such a cool mag! I even rememeber the issue (and still have it) June 1984 where it looks like Indiana Jones is climbing into the Atari cartridge slot!

http://www.atarimagazines.com/antic/

cover.JPG

I tried Analog too, but it was harder to come by in my area and seemed a little too techie for me. After that it was Compute! Since then... nothing (well, other than my own Atari Times stuff.)

I was going to a "Middle School" in 1990, I think it's just a matter of what certain locations prefer rather than a matter of political correctness as "junior high" and "middle" were both used. Generally, if it was 7-8-9 it was called "junior high" and if it was 6-7-8 (or as mine was, 5-6-7- 8) it was called "middle".

I grew up in S. Calif., just south of Los Angeles. Elementary School was K-6, Jr. High was 7-8 and High School was 9-12.

Edited by magnusfalkirk

I got my first ANALOG magazines subscriptions when I was in near Cape Town, South Africa. I think it was 1984 or 1985 of ANALOG. I know it is rather harder to understand in many articles because I was a kid (8 years old). I was always straight out for Games "Type-in" programs from those magazines. I also collecting another magazines in non-Atari magazines as well.

• 3 weeks later...