IGNORED

MAME...dang, sure would like to use it, but...

atarilovesyou

Processor: Intel® Core i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13 GHz 2.13 GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (3.80 GB usable)

System type: 64-bit Operating system

It's probably still a bit slow for Playstation 2 and Gamecube I would guess but maybe even Dreamcast would work?

The PC in my MAME cabinet is a P4-era single core with 1 GB RAM, onboard video, running WinXP. I'm running an older version of MAME (v122), but honestly, aside from some of the later CAVE shoot-em-ups, it plays everything I'm interested in. It won't play the more demanding games like NFL Blitz (who cares) or Gauntlet Legends (who cares), but it will run games right up to the 3D era (I play Tekken 2 from time to time). For those later CAVE shooters I mentioned (DoDonPachi Dai-ou-jou, Ketsui, Esp.Ra.De to name a few), they run just fine, but I have to run them on a later version of MAME.

So yeah, the PC you mentioned will run MAME like a champ. Can't speak for the PS2, etc.

Drama, you say? Please, go on :D

I picked up a 'whole set' for version 147 at the time of this orginal post, and even though it's supposed to have it all, there are still titles here and there that don't have 'the correct images or ROMs' or whatever excuse mame has for not loading your game. It's a bit of a piss-off, but I figure if there's any really tricky ones that are popular enough, there's always someplace to find em as required.

My only issue with this romset is that games like, say, Starblade, they 'play' correctly, but the sound is screwed up (doubled audio, strange noises, weird stuff). Perhaps those are too heavy to play on my system, but you'd think it could handle it. By and large though, I'm not really playing much of the games from the mid 90s.

Good luck! It's fun when it's working as it should!

• 2 weeks later...

I will send you a copy of mame32 mame sucks unless you use dosbox 0.72 lol I have mame32 0.67 and .103 and 120 and mame32 the old one 53 or what not anyway there are many differnt ones for differnt roms I have one just for dkong a nother for pac roms including the 20k reunion ones a nother for golf gt golf roms a nother version I use for asteroids and a nother one i use for cheats on dkong and my favourite one I use for Bking II and a nother one for pacman NOW this is because some have problems w certian roms IE one wont let u use cheats on dkong a nother wont run asteroids w REalsitic sounds and a nother one wont run some roms or bitches w disclaimers I love 0.67 because you can disable disclaimers and game info exept on galaga as I think Nicola decided to not have problems w NAMCO and put a video disclaimer in there about video emulation is not correct so i use gallag LOL SO let me know and Ill send mame32 to you remember its going to be a .txt file as atariage wont take any other file type ..

ALSO you need samples for clasic games put into mame32/samples

put roms into mame32/roms

mame is hard to run w out dosbox 0.72 from sourceforge in win7 but f you run dosbox hit alt enter then

mount c c:\ and hit enter then change to dir

this is what i use on windows xp

cd docume~1\admini~1\desktop\mame32

oh 1st after you type mount c c:\

you have to type cd c:\

or c:

then you can change to users dir on w 7 or docume~1\admini~1\desktop or where ever youre desktop is

you could just move mame32 to c:\

making it easyer to use dosbox

I have a ROYAL lot of mame32 I even have the killaria one w networking There is a way to play nes netowrked too but forgot how.. It works better when youre in the same house LOL as most of us dont have a static ip although cell phones might..

Let me know witch mame32 you want and ill send you one.

rename .txt back to .exe

i only put mame32 not roms here as thats up to you to find..

ok once you download these make a mame32 dir and a roms dir inside that dir

also inside the mame32 dir make a samples dir

so mame32\roms

mame32\samples

the files in the samples and roms dir can be .zip

so remove the .txt form the end of the filename and put into a mame dir it dont have to be mame32 dir to work

you can call the dir anything you want but it needs roms and samples dir in that dir and mame32 and the .dll files.

testatariageof_oldMAME32.EXE.txt

zip32.dll.txt

AUDIOW32.DLL.txt

MIDAS11.DLL.txt

Mameopl.sys.txt

I don't use mame32 or a front-end, but if you just want to play some mame do the following:

Go to: http://mamedev.org/release.html

Download mame0147b.exe if your machine is 32-bit.

Download mame0147b_64bit.exe if your machine is 64-bit.

Run the executable which I believe just unzips itself into a folder you choose.

Inside the mame folder you unzipped it to will be a roms folder. Put your rom files there. They should be in zip files. Do not unzip or rename these files. They need to remain exactly how you got them.

Run the mame.exe file. By default it lists random game picks from your roms folder when it starts. You can then search for a specific game if you'd like. Then just highlight the game and hit enter. If the rom is good it should start up no problem.

I've successfully run this in both Windows 7 and XP.

If you get all that running correctly you'll want to get the X-Arcade config file loading into mame.

Download the config file here:

http://www.xgaming.c...es/X-Arcade.cfg

In the main mame folder there is a ctrlr folder. Put the config file there. Next, right click on the mame.exe file and drag it to your desktop. When you release select create shortcuts here. Right-click the shortcut and select properties. In the "Target" box put:

[Path to mame]\mame.exe -ctrlr X-Arcade

[Path to mame] will be the folder where you unzipped the program to.

When you start mame from this shortcut the X-Arcade config will be loaded up and you should be good to go. If you need to adjust any controls just hit TAB when playing a game to get to the mame menu where you can remap controls if necessary.

mame32.exe -ctrlr X-Arcade

ok once you get mame 32 working then make a shortcut from the DIR to copy then on desktop paste SHORTCUT! then copy that shortcur to mame32 again then on copy of copy shortcut add the -ctrlr X-Arcade -gamename -cheat -noscanlines -skip_gameinfo -skip_disclaimer -rol1 if needed

wowo i didnt think the cheat.dat file would load LOL

I will also put mame32_0.29.exe too as it works w cheat.dat

CHEAT.DAT.txt

Here is mame32 version 029 i think..

also I will put pacmame32 I modded to have all into a .zip file for pacmame32.com witch I lost Due to the .com being expensize LOL.

This version of mame is so old you cant disable the disclaimers SO just hit left right w arrow keys also if you get the joystick to work in windows then just go into mame and adjust the analog or joystick controls and default controls pick joystick it sees.

you should not have a problem w it once you get mame running.

this one needs cheat.dat in the mame root dir also when running a shortcut to mame32_035.exe copy then paste shortcut to desktop then copt that again and paste a nother shortcut then rename to something else than (2) lol then after the '' '' put the pacman or other game name lol and then -soundcard 1 -noscanlines -cheat

then it lets you cheat you can get it to load a game this way

OK i made a new shortcut to explane this

"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\mame3\Mame32_120.exe" dkong -cheat

ok on the shortcuut to mame32_120.exe i put the dkong and the -cheat behind the '' 's you can insert youre joystick thing before the word cheat.

mame32_035.exe.txt

If i put a file up then rename to original extention I put .txt at end of file to get it to load up to this blog all my atari 800 files are .atr and the ones here are just i added.txt to the end so delete the .txt from the end of filename I posted here and put into roms dirs..

MAME32_120 needed to strech 16:99 on big tv's uncheck to enable strech using hardware uncheck keep aspect ratio also in user interface uncheck game info and disclaimers and stuff..

here is more files may need I will put pacmame32 too since it plays lots of pacman roms.

also here is an example of what should work w that joystick

"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\mame3\Mame32_120.exe" dkong -ctrlr X-Arcade -cheat

you dont need the dkong or the -cheat but the dkong tells it to load dkong right away

othewise

make a dir called mame32 on desktop then inside that dir put roms dir and a dir called samples

then put roms in roms dir then put samples in samples dir then insert roms and seperately insert samples then let it restart to check working roms and samples..

so then copy mame32.exe or what filename it is and then past a shortcut onto desktop

then use

"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\mame3\Mame32_120.exe" -ctrlr X-Arcade

now youre shortcut might have a nother path but you could figure that out.

the trick is to make a shortcut to mame32.exe and then make a shortcut to that shortcut then you can add the -cheat and -ctrlr X-Arcade and also you can change the icon lol

OK onto pacmame32 I found on some mexican spanish site a long time ago and got the .exe working it was hard as i needed the

.dll files zlib..dll and the others lol but figured it out

ok this mame 120 might not be version 120 but its 6m and will fit here remember to remove the .txt from the end of filename so it goes back to normal as this blog wont let u upload anything else than .txt and jpg or ico files.

the .ico files are icons for pacman I think but there just icons

a nother dll file i almost forgot now you have every dll file and alot of mame32 files to play with .

here ill paste a dir snap so you can all see

ok here are some snaps

ym3812.zip.txt

kailleraclient.dll.txt

PAC32.EXE.txt

PACMAN.ICO

PITJR.ICO

PITMS.ICO

Mame32b.120.exe.txt

AUDIOW32.DLL.txt

post-13028-0-20685700-1385454545_thumb.jpg

post-13028-0-07641100-1385454555_thumb.jpg

post-13028-0-07810400-1385454563_thumb.jpg

post-13028-0-44736200-1385454570_thumb.jpg

post-13028-0-53072700-1385454580_thumb.jpg

post-13028-0-32339800-1385454586_thumb.jpg

post-13028-0-39120800-1385454594_thumb.jpg

post-13028-0-24688400-1385454602_thumb.jpg

post-13028-0-58502200-1385454623.jpg

I've got a 64 bit OS, but when I download this 4play file, extract it into my main mame folder, and click on the little frog icon...nothing happens.

And every rom I've dropped into the appropriate rom folder, and try to open, it just tells me that I'm missing chd files or images...gah.

a chd is a harddrive image it just goes into mame32/chd dir like a rom lol

A good not is that ON my space invaders Deluxe part II space invaders deluxe II motherboard arcade midway space invaders pcb I was able to change from TMS2716 chips to 2716 chips witch are weird comeplete differnt animal chips the roms are exactly the same and are mame compatile

so

e f h g chips

are invaders.e inveders.f invaders.g invaders.h and on deluxe it starts with invaders.d

so all you need is to download every version of mame's version of the games rom files and then extract the roms into differnt dirs then copy the roms into one dir and overwrite untill you mix all versions roms into one .zip file for each game dkong has a lot of differnt roms for the same game but it does work I also put the .sam and .wav files in same dkong.zip file so samples has same file as roms and makes dkong easyer..

killairea mame is internet compatile

mame is fun but as we all agree can be a ROYAL pain in the but if you look at what i did it might help you the pictures I show helps you understand...

I have a dkong.zip file with all known samples and dkong files i need But since its a ROM i cant list it here.

CoinOPs is MAME, just heavily modified. MAMEoX was using a super old version of mame, .84 or something. I think CoinOPs uses several versions of MAME internally, depending on what supports the game best. They've put a lot of work into making CoinOPs really nice on the Xbox, if you have one it's worth trying out.

Nice now i have a reason to get a xbox so go load up the versions i uploadd here no roms but rename delete the .txt back to its name..

So after a few days of tinkering (and a lot of help from you guys) I've got some MAME action going on. It's pretty huge, the amount of stuff you need to consider to get what you're looking for.

With regards to matching the version of mame to the roms, lets say I have mame 0.147 (which I do). It seems like there's a lot of sets out there, but whenever I google .147 specifically all I get is the emulator itself. I've had to really dig and it is pretty time consuming.

Let's say I wanted to play Shinobi. Is the only real option to download every Shinobi rom I can find, and hope that it'll work? I'm trying to stick with the versions that work and delete the rest, but now that I know that some roms don't 'work' without the presence of a parent rom, it seems that the only sure thing to do is download ALL versions, and once it works, then leave it alone, lol! And remember the oddly-titled name of the file to remember next time. I'm not using a GUI or anything and the main screen only shows me 15 randomly chosen roms. I have to remember what I have, which isn't always easy, lol.

And then I read about 'merging' or something to that effect, of all the roms of one game. Say those Shinobis: there's some way to get the program to 'squeeze' them all together so that I don't have twelve different Shinobi titles (ver B, C, 2.323, etc), I just have ONE "Shinobi" and I click and Bang, off to the races?

And what do you think of what this guy offers:

http://www.us-lazarus.com/rom-burner/sets/index.shtml

Any comments?

belive it or not in 1997 or 1998 I used to search google untill those o's would run out and look up EVERY single result untill it ran out I always coincidently click on those x joystick things you bought with was really weird anyway I looked at EVERY mame site to find atari 2600 emulation and mame roms and dkong roms so I suggest go back a version to 069 or .120 or .117 thats a nother good version..

20pacgal.zip is the reunion roms

I scanned a bit of that and don't really see how it has any bearing on this topic? The multiple posts aren't necessary and the wall of text in the last one isn't going to get read by anyone. Please stop spamming the topic.

I was not aware that replying to a post was spamming AS I see it you are spamming me because you are to lazy to read what I posted.

NOT A BIG DEAL.

I scanned a bit of that and don't really see how it has any bearing on this topic? The multiple posts aren't necessary and the wall of text in the last one isn't going to get read by anyone. Please stop spamming the topic.

I see you just scaned you didnt not read you just assumed what you thought you wanted to see was a long post SO i fixed it just for you ok. anyway here

Belive it or not in 1997 or 1998 I used to search google untill those o's would run out and look up EVERY single result untill it ran out I always coincidently click on those x joystick things you bought with was really weird anyway I looked at EVERY mame site to find atari 2600 emulation and mame roms and dkong roms so I suggest go back a version to 069 or .120 or .117 thats a nother good version..

is that more twords youre liking.