IGNORED

Looking for help with an XF551

JohnBuell

I just did some searching through other threads, but did not really find anything related to what I'm looking at. I got a used XF551 recently, got a power adapter (C017945) and 3 foot SIO cable separately, and I decided to try it all out today. When I flick the power switch, the light in front comes on green for just a moment, then goes out again. Same when I shut it off. I put a known blank disk in, turned it on, the light came on, the disk was spun a bit, but then the light went right out and the spinning stopped. Same when switched back off.

As many of you know, I will be the first to admit I'm not a genius when it comes to soldering, but am I at least in the right ballpark suspecting it might be a problem at the switch itself? Of course, granted, I just unboxed the power supply without actually testing it, so I should probably do that too.

Thoughts?

That's normal, it doesn't act like a 1050. There's a very brief busy light and head movement reaction to powering the drive on and often the drive will have some spurious reaction (like a brief motor engagement) to being shut off.

No, and I'm actually not even sure the drive is in the Drive One position - I found someone with a user's manual on eBay just today and snapped it up.

I did just get out my good old RadioShack pocket multimeter and it's showing an AC voltage of about 10.5-10.6. Is that about right for that model?

No, and I'm actually not even sure the drive is in the Drive One position - I found someone with a user's manual on eBay just today and snapped it up.

I did just get out my good old RadioShack pocket multimeter and it's showing an AC voltage of about 10.5-10.6. Is that about right for that model?

Yes, the voltage is okay. A 9 VAC transformer's output will vary slightly with an input of 100 to 120 Volts A.C.

If the XF551 fails to boot or read a known good disk, be sure to check the SIO ports as they had a problem with weak connections to the motherboard and the traces would break.

I remember repairing an XF551 that had that problem.

Drive number switch settings

Drive 1 -Both switches down

Drive 2 -First switch down second switch up

Drive 3 -First switch up second switch down

Drive 4 - Both switches up

Hope that helps.

If the XF551 fails to boot or read a known good disk, be sure to check the SIO ports as they had a problem with weak connections to the motherboard and the traces would break.

I remember repairing an XF551 that had that problem.

That's right, plug a SIO cable once, and leave it there,