IGNORED

SIO2MicroSD - An Arduino Project

Diskwiz

Well, how much are those PCBs? Although I got all parts for the Arduino rebuild it would not hurt to have 2 or 3 of those drives around for the other Ataris. Postage might be a big high... but if I ask the other guys and we share the cost.

best,

dan

Edited by DaNDeE

Well, how much are those PCBs? Although I got all parts for the Arduino rebuild it would not hurt to have 2 or 3 of those drives around for the other Ataris. Postage might be a big high... but if I ask the other guys and we share the cost.

best,

dan

The board I mention is the purple board on my main page. It is the prototype board and is what I use for my personal device. It has the ability to use MicroUSB to connect to a PC for Aspeq and apps like that. Because it was a prototype run, the boards cost me $15 USD each. The only issue I had was that my DC barrel connector pins were blades and would not fit in the PCB holes. I had to drill them out and then run wires as drilling new holes wipes out the trace passing from the top of the board to the bottom.

My new design is more efficient, but I did not have enough response to make it worth while to make a run of PCBs.

How much for a sio 2 sd. if someone knows of anyone that has one for sale I will consider buying. I only played 5 a8 games that I have and think this would be the best option for playing more games on my 600.

I would suggest going to their site, Ebay, or start a thread outside of this one for better results.

Hey.

I soldered all the stuff together and could test the display so far, for the rest I will need to attach the SIO cable and flash the .hex. Some more questions. When I look at your links I found this pinout for the SIO. Is this seen from the front or the back of the plug, hence is it for the plug or the port?

The serial connector pin-out

1 1

2 4 6 8 0 2

-----------

/o o o o o o\

/o o o o o o o\

-----------------

1 3 5 7 9 1 1

1 3

1 clock in (to computer)

2 clock out

3 data in

4 GND

5 data out

6 GND

7 command (active low)

8 cassette motor control

9 proceed (active low)

10 +5V/ready

11 audio in

12 +12V (400/800)

13 interrupt (active low)

I ordered one of these SD card slots from ebay.

It has MOSI and MISO instead of DI and DO from your pinout list... does this matter, or is it the same? You used an micro sd slot, right?

Thanks,

dan

The picture you posted is looking at the connector on the port, not the cable/plug view. MISO MOSI is standard and is fine. You can see those pinouts in my schematic also.

http://diskwiz.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/sio2microsdv2.jpg

Here's the thing. Most cheap SD/MicroSD breakout boards use resistors to lower the voltage from 5 to 3.3 on the data lines. I would never release a board with my name on it that way. I have used one before with no problems, but the proper way to do it is with an IC that will output the proper voltage to the SD card (SD cards use 3.3v) while allowing the normal 5v outputs from the Arduino to go into it. The lcx245 and like ICs do this task well. If you have any intermittent issues, this could be your problem. If you already ordered it, try it first, I guess.

Don

I completed my SIO2MicroSD interface and it's awesome :)

I cannot tell you how happy it made me to build this interface successfully the first time :)

thanks to all the help in the forum :) and of course the creator of the project :)

SIO2MicroSD interface with switch.

SIO2MicroSD interface with switch.

these are links to pictures with it up and running in game mode.

Notice that I have a switch and a power adapter connected. The switch is used in game mode, it allows me to power the unit up via the adapter, and disconnects the Atari 5+ volts. This allows me to configure the device in game mode with an atr file loaded while the atari is off. .... ( this does not work too well when powered by the atari, as it take too long to pick a file and load it... one has to hold down reset while one selects the file...)

while not in game mode, i simply power the unit via the atari, disconnect the power adapter, load up my disk images, save the config... then shut the atari off, then back on, with reset held down, until the D1: xxxxxxx.atr is displayed, then I release reset and it loads fine... ( I have to come up with a delay because the avr take a little bit of time to get setup )

Technically i could always use the power adapter as it would simplify things, but I do like the thought of having the unit powered up by the computer reducing the number of power cables... :)

thanks again :)

The switch is simply used to disconnect power from the atari to the SIO2MicroSD interface.... I'm sure it's not good to have the two 5 volt supplies running into one another :)

Cheers. :)

i had a bit of issues loading dos initially... i think i had the default set too high, then I read through the documentation about the LCD mode, so I changed that to 0, and set the speed to 19200, and there were no issues... at this point I am not sure if the issues I did have where because of the lcd setting on 1 and a highspeed sio mode... I do have to play around a bit more with it... But I had to clean up an Atari 520STFM (with 1 meg of ram) it was filthy and smelled of smoke... so I got the wipes out, and cleaned the hell out of it...

:) now I want to perhaps update the tos (version 1.02 according to sysinfo... (but thats a storey for the ST forum)...

I will set up the atari 130xe again on my other table, once i have it tidied up :)... :)

Thanks again :)

do let us know ( the forum ) if there are any updates to the software, but as it stands, its a feature rich, awesome and very cool as is... :)

cheers :)

Glad to hear it. Speed index 9 is the sweet spot for me, and I leave the LCD mode off when serious. To get better speeds, I would have to use a different crystal, so I did the best I could using some delays where needed. Speed index 8 is iffy. I only made it work for APE DOS users.

• 2 months later...

Heyho.

Finally I got Draco into helping me with flashing the AVR. He was asking for the correct setting for the fuses to go with AVRDude... can someone please help me with this? Building the hardware was easy somehow, but the whole AVR thing is really new stuff.

Thanks alot.

cheers.

• 1 month later...

Heyho.

Finally I got Draco into helping me with flashing the AVR. He was asking for the correct setting for the fuses to go with AVRDude... can someone please help me with this? Building the hardware was easy somehow, but the whole AVR thing is really new stuff.

Thanks alot.

cheers.

Did you get this working? I saw your post on my Wordpress page and responded with the fuse settings. I hadn't checked the site in some time, so I apologize for the delay. I am starting to feel the 8 bit itch that I normally do this time of year. :)

Hey.

Yes! I finally got it all wired up and it is working really well. (

). I don't know what Draco did, but as far as I understood, he took the default settings and it works. I got a few games that seem not load.. did not have much time to tinker around with the settings though.

However I started to work on a case that looks like an old A810 drive… you can read about it here: http://computer-classics.de/cah_blog2/atari/sio2sd-arduino-based-thanks-diskwiz/

Not sure when I will find the time to go on with all this. Right now, I rather play with the Atari and that was the reason to build this device in the first place. ;)

Thanks a million for you patients and help. ;)

cheers,

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah...just check out this pic. This is what I used to develop it. I didn't have a PCB until sometime later. :)

http://diskwiz.wordpress.com/sio2microsd/buttonsformenus/

I would suggest getting an SD board that uses the proper IC to drop the voltage to 3.3v from 5v. Most SD boards I see out there cheap out and use resistors instead. I have proven it to work with my code, but you might have mixed results, especially at higher speeds.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

One more thing as I didnt see this mentioned, is there a limit on the size the SD card has to be or can it be any size, I seem to remember some SIO2SD devices stating it only works with upto 2 gb cards, is this the case here too?

To my knowledge the Sdrive still has a 2GB SD card size limit, while I believe v.3.0 of the SIO2SD firmware has overcome this.

• 1 year later...

Happy to see that you still work on this. We are having an Atari exhibition over here and in the wake I tried to copy some diskimsges back to real floppy disks, but without luck. Every copytool i tried seems to get stuck at a certain point. Someone sugested that the status codes might not be implemented correctly and so the copytools don't get the apropriate feedback. Any idea how to fux this, or am I the only one having this problem?

Chhers.

Dan

Edited by DaNDeE