IGNORED

SIO2MicroSD - An Arduino Project

Diskwiz

Hello Dan,

I hadn't touched it in some time, but when someone told me they found a bug, I wanted to get it fixed. It took a few years for the first bug to be reported. :) I do not remember trying to copy from my device back to real floppy disks. I did try it the other way around, as I was wanting to try and get some of my old BBS data off those old floppies. I did not have a problem with that. If it was a hardware issue, it would probably not work at all, or be very inconsistent. If you are seeing a consistent problem at a certain point, it could be a bug in my software.

If you could give me as much detail as possible, maybe I can re-create it and see. I didn't dig ultra deep into the status and percom portions, and may have to revisit that.

BTW, Can I assume the bug reporter was electrotrains???

Don

Well, if I recall it correctly, it was something about D5? Does this command exist? Will see if I can find the time to test it again, this weekend... if I can find my disk with the copy tools again. It looked to me, as if the copy tools were waiting for some kind of acknowledging signal from the SD2SIO, to start working on the real drive.

" electrotrains"??? JAC! (http://www.wudsn.com) was testing it out with me and he assumed that there seem to be some DOS commands missing. ;)

best,

dan

Hey. This saturday the weather was good and so we did not have too many visitors on the first half of the day and that gave me some time to tinker around.

Short story: it works! Long version: I used Copymate 4.4 and had to set the source and destination to drive LUN 1. Than I mounted an image on the SIO2SD and copied it to RAM, having the real floppy turned off. After all tracks are read, I pulled the power on the SIO2SD and turned on the 810. This way it works. Accidentally, I left the SIO2SD on once and is copied back the image to the virtual file... so it works in both directions.

Whenever SIO2SD is turned on, it takes alle the commands and the real floppy drive is just dead. It would be nice if there's a way to only mount one floppy drive (lets say D1:) on SIO2SD and not 4 at once, so that you can just set SIO2SD to drive 2 and the real drive to LUN 1. I couldn't get the game mode to run properly and didn't have the instructions at hand... maybe that does the trick.

best,

dan

Edited by DaNDeE

Hello Dan,

You can remove any of the drives from the chain by using the unload image option in SIO2MicroSD. This will allow you to use any combination of old school physical, with my device. In Game Mode, you will not be able to do this as I am forcing D1: to be used. That was just to make it easy for kids or people who did not know how to navigate through the menus.

If you do not have an image loaded for a drive, my code bypasses the requests to that drive completely. This is why I created the unload option. I probably need to clarify that in my documentation, if I haven't. It has been a while since I have read it. :) Unless something broke somewhere, this was working, as I was regularly doing this. Please let me know if there is an issue.

I appreciate the feedback!!

Don

• 6 months later...

Hello,

it is a beautiful project. I just have a problem to program my Arduino UNO. If I use Arduino 022, you must file a .pde but where can I find the skit?

Thank you. I can not wait to test and thank you for your achievement.

Thank you Bluemax2007. There is no sketch file that you need to compile. You must use the command line utilities to write the .hex file to your Arduino. I have already compiled it for you. You just need to download it from my wordpress site and remove the .docx extension from the file. The command line will be something similar to:

avrdude -V -F -C avrdude.conf -p m328p -c stk500v1 -P COM3 -b 57600 -U flash:w:sio2microsd.hex -v

I hope this helps.

Don

Thank you for your help. I realized that you do not use the Arduino 022 to compile. In fact, with your compilation, the Arduino bootloader is deleted because your installation uses atmega 328, but not exactly the Arduino UNO system. It is easier to understand and modify if necessary before compilation. I thought I could use my UNO + Ethernet / sd shield.
I'll buy a Arduino Nano to test. I already tried the SIO2SD of Pigoola and it was very good.

I do not overwrite the stock bootloader. Only the standard address space is touched. I have only used the utilities that come with the Arduino software to write to the Arduino chip. Again, you are not overwriting the bootloader and you want to use a chip that has the stock bootloader on it, or it will not work. I really am using an Arduino chip. I hope this makes sense.

Edited by Diskwiz

Correct. Just plug your Arduino into a usb port. No need to use a programmer.

When you re-program your arduino using their GUI software, it basically just calls this command as a last step after compiling. This is nothing special. It is just a "behind the scenes" thing that happens for everyone using an Arduino.