IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2013!

1. Kung Fu (NES)

Just beat this for the NintendoAge "beat every US-released NES game in 2013" drive. They completed the 2012 one with a couple hours to spare (!), so this year they're doing unlicensed games too, and I might throw my hat in for Captain Comic at some point -- but otherwise I'll probably be focusing on the Sega-16 effort to beat every US Genesis game.

As for a review of the game, what's to say? It's a classic, albeit a highly limited and very short one -- it took me less than 10 minutes to beat it. But limited, short, and fun is still fun! B+.

1. The Great Circus Mystery: Starring Mickey & Minnie - SNES

Ok, so I threw this in to see how far I could get, and I beat it... Fun, short, all around pretty good game! Perhaps too short.. Oh well. Good fun.

Edited by doomwaves
  • Like 1

2. El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron - Xbox 360

What?! 2 games in 24 hours?! Naw, I just finished this one this evening.. Interesting game.. Great visuals, decent Hack-n-slash action & platforming.. Story is a bit hard to follow. I only paid $15 for it new.

Cheap, Short, Decent.

3. Halo Reach - Xbox 360

Started this one a long time ago, just got around to finishing it... I had put it down for a long time, I was a lot closer to the end than I thought.

Here is a brief offering of my opinions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koJsFmFk7Vg&feature=youtu.be

Edited by doomwaves
  • Like 1

2. Spider-Man/X-Men: Arcade’s Revenge (Genesis)

Unfortunately the Genesis version is pretty much inferior across the board to the SNES version, which clearly came first (chronologically or in priority). The worst part is the soundtrack, which -- like the famous line about the restaurant where "the food is terrible, and the portions are too small!" -- is butchered and too short, cutting two of the stage tunes from the SNES version (and simply choosing to repeat two of the others instead).

That said, the basic gameplay is intact: unforgiving, often relentless action-platforming. And yet, oddly enough, it's not all that hard -- as long as you take advantage of the extra life trick in Gambit's stage.

(Since that trick's present in both the Genesis and SNES ports, I'm guessing it might be intentional -- I'll check the Game Gear port at some point -- and either way, the developers should thank their lucky stars it's in there, no pun intended, since otherwise the game would be unplayable.)

The one exception in the second Wolverine stage, which is a merciless gauntlet of aggravation I'd been dreading since I committed to taking this game down for the Sega-16 "beat every Genesis game in 2013" project. And it remains a real headache, but if you know the two tricks -- make sure to drop the weights directly on Juggernaut, and let him break the wall for you at one crucial juncture -- then it's at least doable.

I'd give it a C+, under the presumption that the designers' inclusion of the extra-lives loop in the Gambit stage is intentional. Without that, the game would be well-nigh unplayable. Either way, the downgraded graphics, controls, and (especially) soundtrack hurt the Genesis version quite a bit when compared to the excellent SNES version.

3. Double Dragon 3 (Genesis)

To put it bluntly, this game is total trash. Double Dragon 3's approach to balanced combat is to make you temporarily invulnerable after you're knocked down, and then doing the exact same thing for your enemies -- but unlike you, they don't flash, and their invulnerability lasts a good 5-10 seconds. This is incredibly frustrating at first since you're left wondering why none of your blows are connecting.

Once you figure it out, the game becomes a trivial, comical exercise in hit-and-run tactics: simply knock your enemies down with a jumpkick, run away (sometimes across the whole stage!) until their invulnerability window passes, then hit them again. Or if there's a ledge, use that.

Either way, it's a joke. I beat the 25-credit setting the first time I played Double Dragon 3, and the 15-credit setting the second. Maybe co-op could be a tiny bit better, but otherwise, this game has nothing to offer.

Since it's at least playable and has multiple character choices, and since co-op might offer some shred of enjoyment, I'll give it a very marginal D-.

• Like 1

4. Halo 2 - Xbox

Great game! I like the improvements from Halo 1. Love the SMGs!

Very short, ended rather abruptly. If I would have played this game when it was new, I would have been pissed. Thankfully I already have 3 & 4.. :D

Edited by doomwaves

4. Super Battleship (Genesis)

Just finished this for the "Can Sega-16 beat..." project, and I'll write up some more extensive comments in the game's review thread at Sega-16. I'd have given it a weak C+, but the fact that the game blackscreens in lieu of an ending takes it down to C-.

5. Quake 4 - Xbox 360

Great fun! I'm a sucker for a good ID game.

No BS, not a lot of frills.. I enjoyed the variety of weapons & upgrades!

Very short. Less than 10 hours. My copy came with a copy of Quake 2 also, cost me $4.50 used from Gamestop! Win Win!

1) Fallout: New Vegas (Main game and main quest) -- 1/11/13 (XBox 360)

Really fun game, enjoyed it even more then Fallout 3. I still have the add-on's to do, but I'm giving the game a break for now and going back to Skyrim to play the Dragonborn expansion. Then I'll go back here.

Last week I also played some Aerobiz: Supersonic for the SNES, Dragon Quest 9 for the DS, and some Civ: Revolution for the XBox 360. Only beat Aerobiz, though.

Edited by SoulBlazer

I wasn't really planning on participating in this thread again this year, but what the hell..

1. Killer Instinct 2 (Arcade) - Got a KI2 arcade machine last week, so naturally I've been playing the hell out of it. I completed it once (on the Hard setting) with Glacius. Great game, and one of my favorite fighters of the era. Asides from that I've mostly been trying to experiment with other characters I never bothered to learn before.

2. Solar Eclipse (Saturn) - An on-rails shooter akin to games like Star Fox, I don't ever hear people talking about this one. It's a really solid game with fun gameplay. It tends to get repetitive a little over halfway through, but it's well off from the monotony of its 3DO and PS1 predecessor, Total Eclipse. The visuals are good, the sound design works well, and the FMV cutscenes are actually decent for the most part (the story works, too). Definitely worth the price it goes for!

Playing through one of the greatest JRPGs of all time, I beat Breath of Fire II (GBA version via GC) twice during the last couple of days to get all three endings: the bad one, the sad one and the best one :)

This is a game everyone should play at least once in their lives! :thumbsup:

Capcom games beaten in 2013: Knights of the Round, The King of Dragons & Breath of Fire II