IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2013!

10. Super Hydlide (Genesis)

Unfinished business from last year, so it feels good to get this knocked out.

This is a very good game that could've been great with one simple addition: an item storage locker. There are too many crucial items that weigh you down, and at least if you play as the Priest, you quickly discover that you really can't afford to carry much in the way of extras at all. This isn't a problem for most of the game, but towards the end there's a lot of stuff to keep track of, and no clarity as to what's absolutely necessary and what's no longer needed.

That's what sank my run at Super Hydlide last year, but this year I could draw on my past experience, and I was able to make it through most of the game with little need for item-juggling. It still struck towards the end, however, and -- on top of the game's weight system, night/day system, hunger system, etc. -- it comes close to being the straw that breaks the camel's back.

But fortunately, the camel doesn't quite succumb -- though the ending was a little bit of a letdown; by the time you get to the last area, it becomes an exercise in bypassing enemies via the Invincibility spell. Overall, I think a B is about right.

11. Lord of the Rings Vol. 1 (SNES)

Beat this today with my fiancée, in another bit of unfinished business. I think I played this in the early 1990s and was intrigued, and then got about halfway through the game in emulation in the early 2000s before I gave up. I didn't know then that the manual is full of maps, which make a huge difference in the game's playability -- and this time around, having a second person was also a big help in terms of morale, navigation, and crowd control (there are up to eight characters onscreen, though for most of the game it's six or fewer).

I have a weird affection for Lord of the Rings Vol. 1, partly because it hits a lot of notes that resonate with me. On the most literal level, the soundtrack is among my favorites on the SNES; though there are only a few tracks, it has a haunting, timeless quality that works perfectly for the game. And I'm fond of wide-open RPGs with big, bleak spaces that defy the convention of having a plot point in every nook and an inn in every town.

But even if you like the game's huge, near-empty dungeons and confusing mazes (as I do), there's no denying that it's deeply flawed. Combat is simplistic, enemy variety is minimal at best, the vast majority of the game consists of endless fetch quests, and the scheme for controlling your characters is pointlessly rigid: why not let the players decide which controllers to assign to which characters? Why not let Player Two control at least one additional character, so that Player One doesn't have to move the whole wolfpack at once?

But we persevered, and thankfully my fiancée likes this kind of game almost as much as I do. We actually used the 5P multitap to allow for individual control of the weaker hobbits, since otherwise it was too complicated to level them up, but once they gained a few levels it was smooth sailing. The Barrow Downs were extremely complex and time-consuming, with multiple locations that use identical layouts (it saves ROM space and it confuses the hell out of the player!), and we had to map the whole thing out carefully to make our way through the maze of interconnected caves.

The Mines of Moria were technically longer, but much less confusing, and making our way to the end was simply a matter of time. We came really close to resetting when Aragorn got killed at the final battle, but the game restarted us just before the Balrog's room (minus Gimli, Gandalf, and Legolas) and we got him on the second try.

...and I'm really glad we didn't reset, because there's apparently a horrible bug -- or a horrible design choice, not sure which: none of the passwords we got in Moria worked when we tried to input them. OK, it's fine if we're not allowed to use passwords once we're in Moria...well, it's not really fine, since Moria takes a good 3-4 hours to complete. But why in the world would you give the player passwords that you know won't validate?!

I think this was probably a bug, though, since the game is riddled with them. The most powerful weapons in the game actually reduce Aragorn's attack power, thanks to a rollover bug; the gems we carefully collected in order to open the gates of Moria turn out to be totally unneeded, thanks to another bug; and loads of smaller bugs, like secondary characters taking off in random directions for no reason, or mysteriously rotating mid-combat so they're facing the wrong way.

Anyway, I'll always have a soft spot for Lord of the Rings Vol. 1, but realistically it deserves no better than a D+. As I said to my fiancée, I have no idea who they thought the target audience would be for this game; it takes far too many liberties to appeal to Tolkien fans, but it doesn't have enough depth for RPG fans, and it's much too tedious for all but the most patient gamers.

BTW the game's character portraits range from pretty good (Gandalf, Gimli) to terrible (Sam, Aragorn), and then you have this:

30m029f.jpg

...wasn't she in Hanson?

• Like 1

12. Andre Agassi Tennis (Genesis)

I'm reviewing this for Sega-16, so I'll keep my comments brief: despite the fact that I've developed some affection for the game in the course of beating it (Stockholm syndrome?), it really deserves no better than a grade of F.

13. Black Hole Assault (Sega CD)

Sat down to try out this robot fighting game (and sequel to Heavy Nova), and 40-45 minutes later had beaten the game. Sure, unlimited continues are part of the reason why -- but pretty much every fight can be reduced to some simple tactic in the face of which the computer folds like a bad poker hand, and the only challenge is figuring out what that tactic is.

The game has a couple cool ideas, like gravity that varies depending on which planet/moon/asteroid you're fighting on. And the controls are solid and intuitive. But I'd feel ripped off if I'd bought this at full price back in the early days of the Sega CD -- and badly synched anime cutscenes, a Redbook soundtrack, and a handful of novelties can't really remedy that. D.

10. Akai Katana - Xbox 360

Beat this game several times.. ONLY because there is unlimited continues.. LOL! This is a fantastic Bullet Hell shooter. Very colorful & very hard! TONS of achievement points if you're into that sort of thing... (which I am)

Edited by doomwaves

11. Heavenly Sword - PS3

This game is pretty good.. Early PS3 action hack-n-slash with an interesting story, kind of crappy characters, FANTASTIC villain (Andy Serkis) & decent graphics & music..

There are parts of this game that are extremely frustrating.. No jumping.. Somewhat wonky movement controls, etc..

There is an interesting Max Payne Bullet Time" esque element in parts of the game that are kind of fun, but its a bit overdone, and they take forever to complete... For me anyway.

I had a lot of fun, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to rage quit a couple of times..

• Like 1

12. To the Moon - PC

Indie game, from Free bird Games.. Fantastic text/point & click adventure... Extremely sad.. FANTASTIC soundtrack.. I downloaded the version that came with the soundtrack for like $13.. The game itself is $10 I think.. Very short, around 4 hours... Very good.

13. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West - Xbox 360

Jeez, am I the only one finishing games around here? LOL!

Another fantastic Ninja Theory Hack-n-Slash game! Great characters and gameplay. Visuals & music are decent. Excellent story. Andy Serkis delivers another fine performance as the hero "Monkey". Has some very light RPG elements, and yet another pseudo FPS mechanic.. Very well used in this case!

I enjoyed this game A LOT!

Jeez, am I the only one finishing games around here? LOL!

I hit a bit of a road block with "X-Men - Children of the Atom". I think I needed ~4 weeks to finish it with Storm once and I'm now struggling at Magneto again with Iceman, so it may take a while until I have finished that one with all 12 chars ;)

I'm at 75% in "Flower, Sun & Rain" though, so that one should come soon.

• Like 1

14. King of Fighters EX: Neoblood - GBA (rom)

Interested in trying out some the King of Fighters games, so I downloaded a rom of this one.. Its pretty fun, INCREDIBLY short... Played the Basic Team Battle... Something like 6 "Best of 4" matches, followed by 2 boss "Best of 4" matches.

Good stuff! Seems like I am going to enjoy more of the KOF games! & I still would like to pick this one up for my collection!

Edited by doomwaves

Well, theoretically I have beaten Flower, Sun and Rain now, practically the 3DS is still lying under a stack of books so that I can get 100% completion for the game. It is required that the player makes 510.000 steps within the game to fully unlock everything, so I assume I'll have to have it running for at least another 30 hours. The books keep pressing the dpad, so the game can play itself to completion without wasting any more of my time :ponder: :lolblue:

• Like 1

I beat Earthbound (SNES) yesterday. I really liked the ending, because it lets you keep playing. You can still go anywhere you want (although there are no more enemies) and revisit characters you haven't seen since early in the game. I wish more RPGs had endings like this.

14. Frogger (PlayStation)

I'd unlocked the final level (Tropical Trouble) a while ago, but last night I got the rest of the yellow/golden frogs, and opened up the temple gates at the end of Tropical Trouble to access the FMV ending. I could have called it beaten there, but I went back and beat the three levels I hadn't completed, all of which were in the Sewer Zone (including the aggravating Uncanny Crusher).

I consulted a walkthrough a few times -- once to tell me where the yellow frog in the Desert Zone was, and twice when I reached obstacles that seemed physically impossible to overcome -- but those were very late in the game, when I was sick of replaying the same levels over and over just to get a 5-second opportunity to figure out where I was supposed to go. Then just for my own amusement, I beat the overall high score of 250k, but the game crashed before I could save it.

Most criticism of this game seems to revolve around the controls, but outside of the slippery ice/running water areas, they're fine -- only once in a great while did I feel like Frogger wasn't responding to my input. Instead, the game's terrible misstep is its repeated, misguided habit of denying the player enough visual information to make informed decisions.

This starts even from the first level, in which turtles give you no visual cue before diving underwater. Since all the turtles look alike, you have no way to quickly judge whether you can safely jump on a turtle's back, and no warning before it kills you instantly by diving. Compare the original Frogger, where they change color for a second or so before diving.

And this sort of thing happens over and over again: forced, tight zooms on the game's camera, ensuring that you can't see more than a step or two in front of you. Landscape objects that come between the camera and the player, so that you can't see enemies coming or can't see where Frogger is. Automatic camera rotation that suddenly changes the entire control scheme, leaving you little time to react. Unclear Z-axis placement in levels where you're expected to navigate complex, multilevel pathways or pull off huge jumps...

The list goes on and on. Combine that with utterly unforgiving collision detection and you've got a game that depends mostly on memorization and, more often than not, is intensely frustrating.

And that's a real shame because I actually think there's a very good, even great game buried under the frustration here. The stage designs are smart, and the process of figuring them out is rewarding -- but too often you have to replay the same segments over and over again just to get a crack at figuring out where you're supposed to go next. Ultimately, that's just no fun.

Dock a few more points for the mediocre documentation, the stupid absence of autosave (you have to remember to manually save after beating a level/before turning the game off, or you get to do it all again!), the lack of an immediate "Retry?" option (forcing you to manually re-select each level from a long menu), and the insufferable, near-unskippable "GAME OVER" tune that adds insult to injury, and you've got yourself a D.

15. Raiden Fighters

16. Raiden Fighters 2

17. Raiden Fighters Jet

I suppose technically all three of these games are on the same disc, so I should just chalk it up as one game.. But they are different enough to separate. All three games appear on "Raiden Fighters Aces" for Xbox 360.

Raiden needs no introduction. Excellent arcade ports of the "Fighters" games, tons of achievements. Infinite replay value, for around $20. I think I enjoyed 2 the most... Maybe Jet. With that said, I played thru them on easy, just to get a feel for them. Free play option is helpful.. LOL!

Madden '94 (Genesis)

Not as smooth or as aesthetically appealing as Madden '92, but the playbook has been improved. It's fine. B.

Sports Talk Baseball (Genesis)

Hitting is random, pitching is pure pretense, and the game will crash if runners get doubled up on a base, which breaks the game because anytime you hit a pop fly you can't risk sending your men back to tag up. Defense, however, mostly works, and you have full control over lineups and batting orders, which gives the game some depth. Regardless, pitching and hitting are skilless activities in this game, and whatever else the game does right, those flaws can't be overcome. C-.

Madden '92 (Genesis)

Either this or the original Joe Montana is my favorite 16-bit football game. B+

PGA Tour Golf II (Genesis)

The wind is a bit too schizophrenic. Not much else to say. Great game. A-

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday (Genesis)

A surprisingly decent adaptation of the Goldbox original. There are a few tedious gameplay elements and the final level is heavily padded, but overall, I had a great time with this game. It reminds me a lot of Mass Effect. It's like a 16-bit prototype for that game. In fact, you could create an amazing 16-bit de-make of Mass Effect using the Buck Rogers engine. I reckon Buck Rogers is one of the most underappreciated games on the Genesis. B.

Jeopardy! (Genesis)

More like Mediocrity! The questions are decent, but there's no challenge in the game because your CPU opponents are morons. You're never in any danger of getting beat to the buzzer, and when your competitors do attempt to answer a question, they get it wrong 75% of the time. The only challenge in the game is spelling correctly. The game also gives you a sneak peak of the Final Jeopardy question before you bid, eliminating any end-game strategy. There's not even a returning-champion mode. It's just one and done. There's no replay value at all. D+

Madden '98 (Genesis)

The AI is more sophisticated than it has been in previous Maddens, but that doesn't make for an improved experience. In fact, the improved AI only seems to exacerbate the balance issues that have always been present in the series, particularly those in the running game. I suppose that penalties and injuries add depth to the game, but they way that they have been implemented is arbitrary and unfair, making the game frustratingly difficult at times. In comparison to previous Maddens, the control in '98 is quite sloppy, which makes it nearly impossible to play shut-down defense, making '98 a more offensively-oriented game than previous Maddens. Finally, the interface design and general presentation are lacking. B-

Shining Force II (360)

Let me preface these remarks by saying that I don't care for JRPGs. Nevertheless, for what it is, this is a decent game. I'd go so far as to say that it is the most tolerable JRPG I've played. It's hard to deny its stellar presentation values. If the game was less linear, had a more mature storyline, and more depth in its combat and character development, I would consider replaying it. As it stands, I give it a B-.

Portal (360)

Woefully short. I blew through it in just a few hours. It's unfortunate that the game doesn't even begin to spread its wings until the final level, and then it's over. Outstanding concept for sure, but with such a vast amount of obvious potential left on the table, it's hard to give this game, as a whole, the praise that its core mechanics certainly deserve. B

Edited by Christophero Sly
  • Like 1

18. Deathsmiles - Xbox 360

Another awesome Cave shmup on 360... I love the Halloween/Horror theme to the game. Great soundtrack as well.. I haven't completed all of the different play modes or characters yet, but I have got the gist of it.. Excellent game!

Medal of Honor: Airborne (360)

MoH: Airborne isn't your typical WWII FPS. While it's not exactly unique, it's semi-arcade sensibilities and open-ended level design definitely set it apart from conventional CoD-style fare. The implementation of these elements isn't flawless by any means, but it was refreshing to play a FPS that respects and encourages player agency and autonomy, one that didn't chain me to a script and drag me, in linear fashion, through one overblown cinematic setpiece after another. I also like the fact that this game is no pushover. I had to fight for every yard of ground. Stiff resistance and ferocious firefights are routine. The game isn't without it's flaws. In fact, it has some glaring flaws, but overall, I think strengths balance weaknesses, and I give the game a solid B.

• Like 1

1. Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One - PS3

For some reason this game reminded me of Star Fox: Adventures on the GameCube, which isn't saying much.

2. Ratchet & Clank (Ratchet & Clank Collection) - PS3

Its been about 10 years since the last time I played it and it still a fine game just not as good as the next two.

3. Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (Ratchet & Clank Collection) - PS3

Great game had fun playing it again.

4. Virtual On - Sega Saturn

Picked up a pair of twin sticks and beat it for the first time on hard.

5. Far Cry 3 - PC

Liked the game, but felt the story was trying to hard to be edgy.

19. Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds - Xbox 360

Beat the arcade mode, on easy a couple times over, with different characters. Lots of fun! Excellent 2D Fighting game with great over the top attacks! Primarily used Dante, Wolverine, Akuma & Iron Man. Akuma is an unlockable. Definitely a great game!

• Like 1

2. New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii-U)

OK, so it's not a classic gaming title, but I am proud of myself nonetheless. Just for fun, I was wondering if you could beat the game with Luigi. Turns out, when Luigi beats the game, it kicks you back to the beginning of the Final level, so ultimately, YOU have to beat the game in order to see the ending. I came close (died after two bops on Bowser's head.) But after a few more tries, I finally did it. I didn't think I could, since nowadays they have to make games so f---ing hard that I can't beat them any more.

Edited by atari2600land
  • Like 1

Bastion (Mac*)

I picked this up cheap in the Humble Bundle; probably never would have otherwise. It took a while to warm up to it, but once I did, I thoroughly enjoyed this game. Outstanding art and musical direction, excellent mechanics, and an involving narrative. A-

*Had to use my PS3 controller though. I can't imagine playing it with Kb&M.